• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hockey

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Is there any other city that doesn't televise their homegames at all? The team is finally starting to spend money. It will take time, but at least now it will be fun to watch.

(Of course, it seems like half the team isn't old enough to vote yet, but it's a start...)

I know our team ( the Hurricanes ) only televises certain games, and they're only aired on a certain cable station. Otherwise, we have to order Center Ice. It's very frustrating.

Condor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
LadyJaye, we didn't even have that option. I won't speak ill of the man, but Bill Wirtz was definitely from another era. I think it was a product of the times as well. No one really complained back then - the old Chicago Stadium literally shook from the fan support - we had all of six television channels. Once technology and corporate sponsorship took hold, all of the iconic Chicago owners (Wirtz, Halas, Wrigley) were determined to hang on to the old ways until the very end. They couldn't understand that fans now had choices other than to come to their games...It was especially bad for hockey, as it sank to a second tier event (the Wolves AHL franchise was out-promoting and out-drawing an original six NHL team) at best.

Anyhow - didn't mean to reminesce - just glad our franchise now has the twenty-first century in its sights. :)

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Ay yo Merc, how'd you like seeing the shoot-out win by San Jose live?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Ay yo Merc, how'd you like seeing the shoot-out win by San Jose live?

I actually was walking over to the bar area to watch the Phillies game at that point. I knew it was going to be a loss after OT ended. The Flyer just don't win shootouts, and I didn't want to see it. It was a wild game, though. I was actually picking up my tickets from Will Call, and the next two people were trashy-hot chicks, probably 21 or so. The girl asked for her tickets by name, then added "Jeff Carter left them." He clearly scored more than once last night. ;)

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
The Sharks beat Pittsburgh last night at home, 2-1. The Pens only delivered 11 shots on goal the whole game (yes, that's with Malkin and Crosby in rotation the entire game). That's what the hell I'm talking about! A good win for us. Off to Detroit next.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Just want everyone to know that the Sharks currently have the best win/loss ratio in the NHL. 10-2. We've put up wins against Pittsburgh and Detroit. :hi:

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I consult FMW, thee who knows much more than I of hockey.

So, the Sharks are 15-3-1. That's pretty sick, right? What does it mean?! Is this our year????

MBTI Type
INTJ
It means you have a very good start. I know every game counts the same, but teams can look a lot different in November than they do in March. Hockey teams routinely get off to hot starts. In 2006, the Buffalo Sabres started 10-0-0, got to 20-3-2, and didn't even make the Stanley Cup Finals. Certainly you should be happy, but it's not like the Sharks haven't been down this road...pretty much every one of the last six or seven years. I can't think of a team in any of the four major team sports that has so consistently underperformed vs. expectations over the last decade. Maybe the Dallas Mavericks, possibly the New York Mets if you only count the last few years.

I'm really not saying that to bash you or your team, it's just the facts. The Sharks have probably been one of the three or four most talented teams in the NHL for years, but they haven't even gotten to the finals yet. I'm not saying they won't, but I think they're in "put up or shut up" territory. I think the mix of veterans they added over the last two years make this year probably their best chance yet, but I'm still skeptical.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Ahh, ok. I only started following hockey within the past year. Not too keen on the history and what not, although I'm very aware of the Sharks' tendency to choke in the playoffs despite their good regular season play. I guess I wasn't sure if it was common for the Sharks to start out this strong.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Sharks sign 3 D-men with Cup rings - "Dan Boyle and Brad Lukowich were members of the 2004 Tampa Bay Lightning, and Rob Blake won the 2001 Cup in Colorado."

I'm optimistic about the Sharks this season.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Have you seen them throw the book at Sean Avery? They say they will, but Bettman is all impotent threats. If anything serious happens to Sean career-wise because of his big mouth, I'll be stunned.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Anyone watching the outdoor game in Chicago?

How about the world juniors? I find the whole world juniors pretty funny because really only the US, Canada, and maybe Russia and Sweden are in any real contension... and thats when you see the 18-0 games :rofl1:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
DUDE. I totally forgot the outdoor game was today...

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Anyone watching the world junior gold game?

As of right now, Canada is winning 3-0, partway through the 3rd. The second period sucked, all that stupid crap...Markstrom needs to tighten his helmet and stop flopping around everywhere. I'm pretty sure every stupid altercation is a result of his dives.

Otherwise a pretty good game though.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Anyone watch the Detroit/Dallas game this past Monday? That game was off the chainnn. Dallas tied it up 4-4 at like a minute and some change left in the game. At one point they were down 4-1 I believe. Anyways, Dallas took it in OT. Fun, high-action game.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Sounds like an exciting game, Beat. It probably wasn't aired here, I never saw it.

Oh man, everyone here's american, I wanted to bring something up but then it hit me that none of you would know it. Anyone know John Taveres got traded to the London Knights in the OHL????

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Go...Blue Jackets, I guess...

My home city only has the Lake Erie Monsters. :(