• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

WTF Hollywood?!

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
She's a lady and if I weren't married and didn't know better I would probably be making virtual passes at her which would result in everyone calling me a creeper as well as a ban from the mods.

Kas

Fabula rasa
I agree that there isn’t enough good female characters in films.

Two movies, which are about women and the character creation is really good, that come to my mind aren’t American… Is it still a good place to mention them? Hmm I will.
The first is Volver directed by Almodovar
The second is Sukkar Banat directed Nadine Labaki

In Volver there is a bit of blood/dead bodies , but it doesn’t make women to be less feminine. Not at all.;)

Kas

Fabula rasa
Oooh, yes. That's a feminist movie. Another good feminist movie, well, really it's more of a play, is The Taming of the Shrew.
The only time I was mad reading Shakespeare was during reading The Taming of the Shrew:dont:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The only time I was mad reading Shakespeare was during reading The Taming of the Shrew:dont:

I saw a production of that play once in college, and thought it was pretty bad. My mom doesn't really see an issue with the story, which I find surprising.

93JC

Re. Ellen Ripley:

As I was reading this I couldn't help thinking the article title ["I hate strong female characters"] should have been appended "or why more characters should be written like Ellen Ripley".

In the original Alien screenplay (which I've read—it's awful) the writers, Ronald Shusett and Dan O'Bannon, included a list of characters at the beginning and made a small note at the bottom of the page.

The crew is unisex and all parts are interchangeable for men or women.

The producers of the film decided to make the Ripley character female. (Thankfully they also rewrote most of the dialogue; the final script is written well enough that it doesn't have to have a list of characters at the beginning.)

Ripley isn't 'sassy', 'feisty' or a "damsel in distress": she's a normal, rational human being. In fact if the other characters had listened to her they wouldn't have been in the trouble they were in in the first place.

The second film, Aliens, is even better at characterizing Ripley as a well-rounded person. At the beginning of the film she's suffering from severe PTSD as a result of the events of the first film. Eventually she gets hooped into going back to the planet where they found the Alien in the first film, and things go awry as one might expect. On the way there she gives a room full of marines a briefing about her 'encounter' in the first film. She trips over her words, words trail off... It's clear that what happened to her was very disturbing and the marines fall silent except for the female private, Vasquez, who interrupts and jokes "I only need to know one thing: where they are," as she makes a mock gun with her fingers and fires it at imaginary aliens.

Vasquez is one-dimensional character, a female character written to be over-the-top macho. So macho in fact that when we first see her one of the other (male) characters jokes "Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?" To which she retorts, "No. Have YOU?"

Ultimately when shit hits the fan and there are only a few humans left they immediately turn to Ripley for leadership. Ripley doesn't need to act like a 'bad-ass' (like Vasquez) to earn respect, she just commands it. She's smart and, though terrified, she doesn't panic and has the fortitude to persevere through the extreme circumstances she's put in.

In a twisted way it's kind of sad that Ripley is held up as a feminist icon: she is so because there are so few others.

Kas

Fabula rasa
I saw a production of that play once in college, and thought it was pretty bad. My mom doesn't really see an issue with the story, which I find surprising.
Yes it is really bad.
My father told me that it's the best play of Shakespeare. But it doesn't really suprise me.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes it is really bad.
My father told me that it's the best play of Shakespeare. But it doesn't really suprise me.

I liked MacBeth the best out of all the ones I've been exposed to. Did you know there was actually a king of Scotland named MacBeth?

Kas

Fabula rasa
I liked MacBeth the best out of all the ones I've been exposed to. Did you know there was actually a king of Scotland named MacBeth?
I think it's my favourite:) Although I like comedies too As You Like It and A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Speaking of which there is a very good female character in As You Like It Rosalind and Branagh made a very good movie adaptation in 2006.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

And King Duncan killed by MacBeth was my ancestor..

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Another non ass kicking female dominated movie with strong women is Steel Magnolias, but that has been a few years.

I do find this is a genre that Hollywood has failed in, but it has failed on so many in its quest to attract 12 to 25 year old males.....

It seems as though we used to have this category called drama in the 80s and earlier..... too bad it is largely dead today.....

We used to have a lot of strong women roles....

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hollywood is kind of conservative and backwards looking, despite what every inspirational Oscars tribute segment about african americans or women in film would have us believe.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hollywood is kind of conservative and backwards looking, despite what every inspirational Oscars tribute segment about african americans or women in film would have us believe.

Risk adverse, for sure. Dumbed down movies and sequels rather than original production. Dramas, especially with strong female characters, are not easy to sell in certain international markets.

So we get bad formula movies from major studios and better films from independent filmmakers.

Good thing we have good TV today with better characters....

Beorn

Permabanned

They're not conservative. For better or worst they just give people what they want.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Risk adverse, for sure. Dumbed down movies and sequels rather than original production. Dramas, especially with strong female characters, are not easy to sell in certain international markets.

So we get bad formula movies from major studios and better films from independent filmmakers.

Good thing we have good TV today with better characters....

Yes. And the IFC channel to show decent movies.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Although I'd argue they give people what they think people want.

Bingo. They are scared little babies that think people don't want and can't handle interesting movies. Instead they throw us CGI overkill without plot or characters...

93JC

"Conservative" in the sense that they're cautious, they play things safe. Safe = simply stories starring pretty people.

Beorn

Permabanned
My point exactly. Although I'd argue they give people what they think people want.

I'm not sure why anyone wants Hollywood to propagate ideology anyways. The medium they use is limited and often the more they want to push a particular viewpoint the worst the film.

I mean... This sucks:

I suppose people want to co-opt it mainly because of it's centralized nature and vast reach, but tools like that are better for brainwashing people than getting them to think.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not sure why anyone wants Hollywood to propagate ideology anyways. The medium they use is limited and often the more they want to push a particular viewpoint the worst the film.

I mean... This sucks:

I suppose people want to co-opt it mainly because of it's centralized nature and vast reach, but tools like that are better for brainwashing people than getting them to think.

Hey, Day After Tomorrow convinced everyone of the dangers of Global Warming, it did.