• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your Favorite Miniseries

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like miniseries. They're usually well-made, and you don't feel too bad for binge-watching them, because they're not as long as a full season of a TV show. Best of all, they have endings. I hate getting invested in a TV show, and then finding out that it's been canceled. No closure = angry octopus.

So what are your favorite TV miniseries? Which ones do you like to recommend?

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Generation Kill (I also recommend the book)
Piece of Cake
Danger UXB

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They still do mini-series on TV? I remember going crazy back in the day when they did the Stephen King ones, like The Stand and It. I wonder if they still hold up.

Duffy

I have no absolute favorites, but Black Mirror is definitely up there.

I was tempt to troll with Firefly as my answer.

á´…eparted

passages
OVER THE GARDEN WALL.

tumblr_ndtl7p50es1tj4e18o1_1280.png

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
With the short seasons favored by the British, HBO and their imitators, it is easy to pound out a season quickly, almost like a miniseries.

As compared to 90s era shows where the seasons are 28 weeks of uneven episodes.... Much better today with 8 hours of a Breaking Bad type show per season.

So, not quite miniseries, but....

As to pure miniseries, I put the BBC Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy as my all time favorite. I think my wife and I have watched it 5 or so times.

Ingrid in grids

This is England '86 (2010), This is England '88 (2011), and This is England '90 (2014). All mini-series sequels to the 2006 film This is England.
The ShakespeaRe-Told series (2005). Modern retellings of four of Shakespeare's plays. My favourite is the Macbeth one.
Fawlty Towers (1975-79). This is one of my favourite series ever. It might not be a mini-series, but I'm counting it as one because it only ran for two seasons, with six episodes in each.

The Pacific (2010)

I, Claudius (1976)

Pride and Prejudice (1995). Because Colin Firth and I love me a British period drama.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Crap, I forgot to include my favorites. Anyway:

Bleak House (2005)
Little Dorrit (2008)
Jane Eyre (2006)
John Adams (2008)
Hornblower (1998-2003) (technically was a "series", but there were only eight episodes)

And, while I'm at it, how about Sherlock. They've only made nine episodes of that. And it's just so frigging good.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Danger UXB
I watched this one years ago and remember liking it.

My first favorite is Flambards, a British miniseries set in the English countryside before and during WWI. An orphan comes to live with her crotchety widowed uncle who wants her to marry his older son. She instead falls for the younger one, who has been sneaking off to a neighbor to work on building an airplane. Lots of great universal themes: war, class, family, prejudice, growing up; plus an intimate look at that period of history and the prevailing perspectives.

My second choice is Amerika, which depicted life in the US after being taken over by the Soviet Union. The series generated considerable controversy, and it is noteworthy that "Amerika has been unseen on American television since its original telecast on ABC." As with the move The Handmaid's Tale, someone wanted this out of the way, and quickly.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am pretty sure you'll like this. I'll let the first episode do the talking:

The rest of them can be bought on youtube, itunes or other places.

It's getting near Autumn, I'm almost ready to watch this.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Roots
I, Claudius
Shogun
John Adams
Lonesome Dove