• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Show Me A Hero

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Anyone catch parts 1&2 last night on HBO?

"Parts 1 & 2" · Show Me A Hero · TV Review · The A.V. Club

It was gooood. I ordered the book too (Kindle edition is out tomorrow) because it's an interesting story but I'm holding off until the series is done. Oscar Isaac - I've never seen him play anything badly. Not so far. Not even Joseph. I think he was perfect for the role of the youngest big city mayor ever at 28, Nick Wasicsko. The only thing that jarred me were the office phones ringing with no one to answer. Except when Nick himself answers and it was the woman he had removed from the council meeting (Catherine Keener, who is stellar).

It did help soothe any wounds left from the True Detective finale.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm gonna check my DVR. I put this down to be recorded, so hopefully it is there.

I didn't even hear of this until a few days ago, when I ran across a glowing review of it online. it's not even necessarily the type of show I used to be interested in, but the detailed review + actors involved just really made it worth giving a shot.

A random trivia tidbit: The first movie I ever saw Oscar Issac in (I think) was Sucker Punch. He's established himself as a decent actor since. (I should note that he was decent in Sucker Punch, it was just the movie itself that had flaws.) He only had a few minutes of screen time in The Bourne Legacy and made a throwaway part interesting.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm gonna check my DVR. I put this down to be recorded, so hopefully it is there.

I didn't even hear of this until a few days ago, when I ran across a glowing review of it online. it's not even necessarily the type of show I used to be interested in, but the detailed review + actors involved just really made it worth giving a shot.

A random trivia tidbit: The first movie I ever saw Oscar Issac in (I think) was Sucker Punch. He's established himself as a decent actor since. (I should note that he was decent in Sucker Punch, it was just the movie itself that had flaws.) He only had a few minutes of screen time in The Bourne Legacy and made a throwaway part interesting.

I keep hearing about OI and the Scarface remake. He actually is Cuban so this would make sense but I don't know....that role is exhausting.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just finished Episode 1. Started laughing in the last few minutes:

Lots of actors in this. Besides the obvious -- the old-looking guy with the gray sideburns/beard was... *(drumroll)* ... one of the guys in Animal house!!! (The guy who was dating Katie, played by Karen Allen.) But he was young then. One of nick's buds also played Rob in Cloverfield.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here, let's mention another obscure actor who I immediately recognized -- the guy who played Lemar (Tom Cruise's lawyer buddy) in the movie "The Firm."

I finished the series this evening. I highly recommend it, and best of all, it wraps up after six episodes so it won't over-tax people overwhelmed by the idea of another series commitment. I like how things, like real life (which this is based on), are not neatly wrapped up, and some characters evolve in positive ways while others remain stagnant.

It's also interesting that these things are just ongoing. The cases in Yonkers were not fully resolved until 2007, and apparently Westchester NY is dealing with the same situation currently.

There was a nice pictorial recap throughout the lengthy credits showing the actors in shots reminiscent of photos of the actual people, placed side by side for comparison.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Here, let's mention another obscure actor who I immediately recognized -- the guy who played Lemar (Tom Cruise's lawyer buddy) in the movie "The Firm."

I finished the series this evening. I highly recommend it, and best of all, it wraps up after six episodes so it won't over-tax people overwhelmed by the idea of another series commitment. I like how things, like real life (which this is based on), are not neatly wrapped up, and some characters evolve in positive ways while others remain stagnant.

It's also interesting that these things are just ongoing. The cases in Yonkers were not fully resolved until 2007, and apparently Westchester NY is dealing with the same situation currently.

There was a nice pictorial recap throughout the lengthy credits showing the actors in shots reminiscent of photos of the actual people, placed side by side for comparison.

I'm glad you liked it but I had a feeling you would. Those mini-series HBO likes to throw up there to fill in between the big series, often end up being some great stuff. The Jinx didn't disappoint either.

Through today's eyes (such as my 20-ish kids) it's almost difficult to explain what this story was all about. They were like - That's it? Some townhouses?

While I think Oscar Isaac was amazing, the residents and their stories were what I wanted to see. Like Doreen, I was sure she was headed down that path or crack and hopelessness. But she wasn't. Carmen, you knew she would kick whatever ass was needed to get her kids out of there and did.

The standout performance to me was Alfred Molina. This may be one of my favorite roles of his huge career.