• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Steampunk vs. Dieselpunk

Steampunk or Dieselpunk?

• Total voters

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If it helps, here are good video game examples:

Fallout 3 is a good (post-apocalypse) version of a Dieselpunk future.

Bioshock is more Steampunk

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also, a humorous song about why something isn't necessarily steampunk just because it has some visible gears.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Never heard of this before, but I suppose I'm more diesepunk. Bolded are genres I like:

Although the term “dieselpunk” was not coined until 2001, a large body of art significant to the development of the genre was produced before that. Artwork (including visual arts, music, literature, and architecture) created in the dieselpunk style are heavily influenced by elements of the art movements most prevalent in Western culture during the diesel era such as:
Arts - Abstract Expressionism, Art Deco,Bauhaus, Raygun Gothic, Constructivism, Cubism, Dada, De Stijl (Neo-Plasticism), Futurism, International Style, Surrealism
Music - Blues, jazz, ragtime, cabaret, Big Band, swing, retro swing, and bluegrass
Literature - Symbolism, Stream of consciousness, Modernism, Pulp, Hardboiled Detective, and Noir

I'm a big fan of this:

MechanicalHead-Hausmann.jpg

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I nearly made this poll Steampunk vs Dieselpunk vs Cyberpunk.

However, there seems to be more confusion about Dieselpunk and Steampunk, with many things falling into the latter category when they may in fact not belong.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I nearly made this poll Steampunk vs Dieselpunk vs Cyberpunk.

However, there seems to be more confusion about Dieselpunk and Steampunk, with many things falling into the latter category when they may in fact not belong.

I think it's more interesting leaving it between Steampunk and Dieselpunk. Cyberpunk kind of muddies the water a bit.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it's more interesting leaving it between Steampunk and Dieselpunk. Cyberpunk kind of muddies the water a bit.

Agreed. It's "different" enough to not really merit comparison.

I think that I lean toward Dieselpunk on a purely aesthetic basis, while the ethos behind Steampunk is more appealing.

Steampunk seems to elevate/emphasize inventors and ingenuity while Dieselpunk is really more about mass production and the machine itself. Steampunk is pre-WWI, Dieselpunk is post-WWI. Edison (or Tesla) would be a steampunk role model. Henry Ford would be a Dieselpunk role model. Interestingly, Edison and Ford were close friends.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Agreed. It's "different" enough to not really merit comparison.

I think that I lean toward Dieselpunk on a purely aesthetic basis, while the ethos behind Steampunk is more appealing.

Steampunk seems to elevate/emphasize inventors and ingenuity while Dieselpunk is really more about mass production and the machine itself. Steampunk is pre-WWI, Dieselpunk is post-WWI. Edison (or Tesla) would be a steampunk role model. Henry Ford would be a Dieselpunk role model. Interestingly, Edison and Ford were close friends.

I'm not sure I agree. Steampunk seems to look more towards Britain, Dieselpunk seems to look more towards the New World. Star Wars seems pretty Dieselpunk. Technology is not good or bad in Star Wars; the issue is the people using it.

I'd say Einstein is a good Dieselpunk role model.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure I agree. Steampunk seems to look more towards Britain, Dieselpunk seems to look more towards the New World. Star Wars seems pretty Dieselpunk. Technology is not good or bad in Star Wars; the issue is the people using it.

I'd say Einstein is a good Dieselpunk role model.

Fair enough. The Dieselpunk aesthetic is even more apparent in the prequels, particularly in the design of the Naboo space ships. Also, the original Death Star battle is modeled after WWII fighter plane footage.

Although Return of the Jedi seems to at least hint at themes of soul and cooperation overcoming a soulless, overmechanized opponent. Ewoks with spears vs a vast war machine.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fair enough. The Dieselpunk aesthetic is even more apparent in the prequels, particularly in the design of the Naboo space ships. Also, the original Death Star battle is modeled after WWII fighter plane footage.

Yeah. I liked the aesthetic of the prequels; I just wish the story had been better.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
True. I like how Amidala's ship in Episode II even sounds like an old prop-engine plane.

I think my favorite design is Cloud City, which was originally supposed to be the capital of the Empire. It's like an Art Deco spaceship.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think my favorite design is Cloud City, which was originally supposed to be the capital of the Empire.

- - - Updated - - -

I think my favorite design is Cloud City, which was originally supposed to be the capital of the Empire. It's like an Art Deco spaceship.

I actually saw Empire first. I loved Cloud City as a child.

My favorite ship is the Tantive IV/blockade runner from the original.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like the Mon Calamari (ha) cruisers from Jedi.

They're about as Dieselpunk as they come. They look like they could've been designed by 50's car companies.

I like how Rebel ship tend to be more rounded and smooth whereas the empire emphasized angular, pointy, and lots of "greebles"

Indiana Jones seems to contain tinges of dieselpunk as well. I like the flying wing from Raiders and the Nightclub from Temple. Also, the mish-mash tank from Crusade (that was not based on a real Nazi design, nor was the flying wing). George Lucas loves that shit, I suppose.

He also produced Tucker: The Man and His Dream.

Look at that shit:

qTHlvVY.jpg

edit: Lucas did not produce it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
They're about as Dieselpunk as they come. They look like they could've been designed by 50's car companies.

I like how Rebel ship tend to be more rounded and smooth whereas the empire emphasized angular, pointy, and lots of "greebles"

It's a neat optical illusion. Which one of these looks bigger?

Greeble.png

Indiana Jones seems to contain tinges of dieselpunk as well. I like the flying wing from Raiders and the Nightclub from Temple. Also, the mish-mash tank from Crusade (that was not based on a real Nazi design, nor was the flying wing). George Lucas loves that shit, I suppose.

Lucas is all about those 30s and 40s serials. Both Star Wars and Indiana Jones were inspired by those. They're cheesy as hell today, and sometimes even cringeworthy, but evidently there was something he wanted to replicate.

He also produced Tucker: The Man and His Dream.

Look at that shit:

qTHlvVY.jpg

edit: Lucas did not produce it.

He executive produced it, to help out his friend, Francis Ford Coppola.

Finally, remember in the original movie, Luke had to switch off his targeting computer to destroy the Death Star. He also had help from his friend.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's a neat optical illusion. Which one of these looks bigger?

Greeble.png

Lucas is all about those 30s and 40s serials. Both Star Wars and Indiana Jones were inspired by those. They're cheesy as hell today, and sometimes even cringeworthy, but evidently there was something he wanted to replicate.

He executive produced it, to help out his friend, Francis Ford Coppola.

Finally, remember in the original movie, Luke had to switch off his targeting computer to destroy the Death Star. He also had help from his friend.

Porkins? :laugh: