• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Steampunk vs. Dieselpunk

Steampunk or Dieselpunk?

• Total voters

cosmic royal

Phoenix Flame
MBTI Type
xNTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Based on [MENTION=19700]Starcrash[/MENTION]'s previous posts, I'd say I'm more of a fan of steampunk. Ingenuity is always a great trait people aspire to have, and Nikola Tesla is someone I deeply admire. Plus I like the contradiction steampunk wields; it emphasizes modernity in an era where conformity rules. (The Victorian age, for example.)
I'm not saying that steampunk is superior to dieselpunk; I'm just not familiar with it.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't really game, and I'm into Science Fiction purely from an idea exploration point of view. I actually have no preference, just as long as whatever is being portrayed is believable and not just an aesthetic, like you said, glue some gears on it. That being said, I've only really ever read one thing in the steampunk genre, and that was The Difference Engine, which was a crappy book, but really well thought out technology-wise, so I was pretty happy with it. I've read a good lot of Cyberpunk, I dig it.

Probably the most relevant '-punk' genre to the future at the moment is Biopunk.

As an aside, I love stuff that has a good reason to incorporate Victoriana in general. There's a great, ehhh, Nanopunk, book from the Cyberpunk lineage called The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer. One of my favorite books ever.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like steampunk, because I like the Victorian aspects of it. I've always been interested in the Victorian era.

Plus I love steam-powered airships.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like steampunk, because I like the Victorian aspects of it. I've always been interested in the Victorian era.

Plus I love steam-powered airships.

Did you know the pointy thing at the top of the Empire State Building was designed to be a mooring mast for airships? It never panned out, because being filled with hydrogen, the airships tended to explode. The movie Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow played around with that concept of airships mooring on skyscrapers. I liked that movie, it's too bad it didn't do better.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Did you know the pointy thing at the top of the Empire State Building was designed to be a mooring mast for airships? It never panned out, because being filled with hydrogen, the airships tended to explode. The movie Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow played around with that concept of airships mooring on skyscrapers. I liked that movie, it's too bad it didn't do better.
I did know that! They also played around with that on Fringe.

I wasn't crazy about Sky Captain. I liked the idea, I liked everyone in it, and I appreciate what they were trying to do, but it just didn't do anything for me.

Miyazaki's Castle in the Sky was a very good movie with a lot of steampunk elements.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Voted steampunk. Generally I like historical stuff more than sci-fi, so I lean that way.

I do have a soft spot for cyberpunk though -- don't know why. I guess I like the slightly pessimistic imagery of ugly neon-lit mega-cities.

Enygmatic

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dieselpunk for me and I'll list some great diselpunk products.
Movie: Dark City - In a mysterious city a man awakes with no memory of who he is and mysterious men chase after him but why do they do this? And who are they? You'll have to watch it to find out. If you like noire, science fiction, areas of grey, style, great cinematography, a clever storyline and surrealism your in for a treat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSpowoKqSzc

Show: Baccano! - Shows the intertwining stories of gangs, crazies, alchemists and the law. If you like faced-paced action, anime, magic, stories around the depression, darkness, fun, great dialogue, crazy characters and love an unconventional storyline, give this a shot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hFe3Gr9U30

I like Steampunk (e.g. Treasure Planet, Castle in the Sky...) but I prefer the grittier tone of dieselpunk and how it goes into morally grey territory because I find that more interesting and I can dwell over it after.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I prefer Dieselpunk, my wife prefers Steampunk. I love the retro-future styling in the Fallout series (would you call that Atompunk?).

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Is Bioshock Steampunk though (the original Bioshock). More evocative of 1920s/1930s Art Deco styling imho rather than the Victorian styles involved in Steampunk.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Although I think the shadowrun universe is awesome, and there are plenty of steampunk stuff I dont like. I still prefer steampunk over dieselpunk.

Theres just something about the sound and visuals of steam engines thats much cooler than fuel engines.

Lark

I love both steampunk and dieselpunk from what's described there, I never heard of dieselpunk before this thread but I love all things Fallout, the first and second and third point and click adventures on the PC are superior to any of the other console games if you ask me though but the wider world building and themes are likely the same in anycase, I love steampunk in every respect I've heard of it articulated, right back to HG Wells, but in contrast to both of these I absolutely detest cyberpunk, I loathe it and dont like any of the stories associated with it really, I dont like the idea of transhumanism or the singularity at all.

I'd contrast the positive pictures of the same in Johnny Numonic and Chappie with the latest Terminator movie, to a lesser extent but making the same point in a round about way any of the Robocop movies also (the fact that Murphy does not see his cyborg existence as something entirely positive is underlined in all the original movies, the fact that its his doomed, almost obsessive attachment to the life he lost, including the love of his former wife, which permits him to survive and endure at all is done well and not ruminations about his being only a head, lungs and heart and wanting to live besides or feeling like homo superior or a new post human species).

There's something detestable about the cyborg idea, I think, given that I grew up with Dr Who and had the soulless Cybermen, Robomen and Daleks as reference points could be something to do with it, although humanoids like the one in the Superman movie with the sentient evil supercomputer in it, the cover art from Iron Maiden record sleeves and even Disney's The Satellite Kid conspired to create a fear and bias of humanoid, machine men devoid of will, conscience and possibly even consciousness.

Lark

Is Bioshock Steampunk though (the original Bioshock). More evocative of 1920s/1930s Art Deco styling imho rather than the Victorian styles involved in Steampunk.

Victoriana is a branch of Steampunk but its not the whole of steampunk, equally Victoriana can be seperate from steampunk and just be an affectation of all things Victorian but the two are usually conflated together.

I wouldnt have said that Bioshock was Steampunk, not the original, although the one, most recent one I think, with the ad featuring the guy with the shotgun jumping around the place was more steampunk that was a change to the original game which was very art deco because of the associations with Ayn Rand, who I'm lead to believe was kind of an arc baddy having created the cultural trend which amounted to the gene stealing and underwater city in the first place, am I right? (Never played the games)

Lark

I prefer Dieselpunk, my wife prefers Steampunk. I love the retro-future styling in the Fallout series (would you call that Atompunk?).

I think Atomicpunk may be correct, its definitely of that era, its hard to believe that a lot of the sci fi writers of then, like Arthur C Clarke or Robert Heinlein were writing at the same time as Philip K Dick, the ideas and visions were to remarkably different werent they?