• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Look what the Hippies are doing...

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
You are completely mistaken here. Hendrix didn't have catchy hooks and melodies? "Foxy Lady?" "Fire?" "Crosstown Traffic?" "The Wind Cries Mary?" "Spanish Castle Magic?" Are we talking about the same guy?

I wouldn't say catchy in the same way as The Beatles or ABBA was.

And then there is the mainstream style and conventional structure aspects of pop music, are we talking about the same guy? Pop music is also usually all about commercial success not musical form or creativity.

You can't seriously think Hendrix did pop music.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I wouldn't say catchy in the same way as The Beatles or ABBA was.

Perhaps not, but I didn't claim that he was.

And then there is the mainstream style and conventional structure aspects of pop music, are we talking about the same guy? Pop music is also usually all about commercial success not musical form or creativity.

You can't seriously think Hendrix did pop music.

I seriously DO think that, because it's the truth. In fact, here is the beginning of allmusic.com's review of Are You Experienced?: "One of the most stunning debuts in rock history, and one of the definitive albums of the psychedelic era. On Are You Experienced?, Jimi Hendrix synthesized various elements of the cutting edge of 1967 rock into music that sounded both futuristic and rooted in the best traditions of rock, blues, POP, and soul (my bold)."

You have a completely misguided notion of what pop music is, and it's silly. Pop music is not about "musical form or creativity?" So The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Michael Jackson, Madonna, U2, The Police, Prince, Motown Records, and hundreds of other artists were not about "musical form or creativity?" That's ludicrous.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Hendrix definitely made his share of pop music, and it was awesome.

I definitely have a short fuse when it comes to jam bands. Sometimes no fuse at all. Couldn't stomach the stuff in the OP. Sorry.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Perhaps not, but I didn't claim that he was.

I seriously DO think that, because it's the truth. In fact, here is the beginning of allmusic.com's review of Are You Experienced?: "One of the most stunning debuts in rock history, and one of the definitive albums of the psychedelic era. On Are You Experienced?, Jimi Hendrix synthesized various elements of the cutting edge of 1967 rock into music that sounded both futuristic and rooted in the best traditions of rock, blues, POP, and soul (my bold)."

You have a completely misguided notion of what pop music is, and it's silly. Pop music is not about "musical form or creativity?" So The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Michael Jackson, Madonna, U2, The Police, Prince, Motown Records, and hundreds of other artists were not about "musical form or creativity?" That's ludicrous.

You can say that he had pop elements to his music, even though I would disagree with that, but that wouldn't make him a pop songwriter, unless we are defining pop music as anything that made it to the Top 40 charts. You couldn't name anyone of his songs and say it's just a pop song.

And pop music is generally less about creativity and musical forms than it is about making what they think the audience will like and what will be commercially successful. The Top 40 contains much less creativity than other more complex and musical contemporary music.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
You can say that he had pop elements to his music, even though I would disagree with that, but that wouldn't make him a pop songwriter, unless we are defining pop music as anything that made it to the Top 40 charts. You couldn't name anyone of his songs and say it's just a pop song.

Of course I can. I named several of his songs that are pop songs. He had others like "Machine Gun" and "Voodoo Chile" that were not pop songs. To declare that none of his songs were pop songs is mad.

And pop music is generally less about creativity and musical forms than it is about making what they think the audience will like and what will be commercially successful. The Top 40 contains much less creativity than other more complex and musical contemporary music.

You're just wrong about this. Completely and totally wrong. Those videos you posted are about 2% as creative as Thriller-era Michael Jackson. It's not good to be simultaneously a snob AND have bad taste.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Of course I can. I named several of his songs that are pop songs. He had others like "Machine Gun" and "Voodoo Chile" that were not pop songs. To declare that none of his songs were pop songs is mad.

You're just wrong about this. Completely and totally wrong. Those videos you posted are about 2% as creative as Thriller-era Michael Jackson. It's not good to be simultaneously a snob AND have bad taste.

Were they pop songs? Or were they rock/rock-blues/psychedelic rock songs with alleged pop influence also. "Dancing Queen" is a pop song. If a song has "pop" as just one of it's many influences, that doesn't make it a pop song.

No one thinks that Hendrix was a pop musician or had pop songs. Maybe you're definition of pop is more broad than the accepted definition. Were those conventional and mainstream?

Michael Jackson is arguable the best pop artist of all time, but those songs I posted take talent to play live. Live shows are the heart of jam bands. Most pop stars couldn't play a fraction of the guitar in those songs.

But if you can dig Usher and Madonna, I don't know what to say. That's kid music.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Were they pop songs? Or were they rock/rock-blues/psychedelic rock songs with alleged pop influence also. "Dancing Queen" is a pop song. If a song has "pop" as just one of it's many influences, that doesn't make it a pop song.

It doesn't make it NOT a pop song. And, if anyone were pop, ABBA were.

No one thinks that Hendrix was a pop musician or had pop songs. Maybe you're definition of pop is more broad than the accepted definition. Were those conventional and mainstream?

Actually, lots of people do, including critics, whom I just cited. YOU seem to be obsessed with the idea that he is NOT pop, because you have it in your mind that "pop = bad," which is stupid. Pop doesn't have to be conventional at all. Ever listen to Fleetwood Mac? Or OutKast?

Michael Jackson is arguable the best pop artist of all time, but those songs I posted take talent to play live. Live shows are the heart of jam bands. Most pop stars couldn't play a fraction of the guitar in those songs.

You don't have to be a technically astounding instrumentalist to be a great musician. People who argue that you do have to be tend to be the people with no songwriting ability and very little creative spark.

But if you can dig Usher and Madonna, I don't know what to say. That's kid music.

You're wrong. It's just plain good music.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
32 here, and I love all types of music including (especially?) good pop. Even some jazz!

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Music is too subjective and influenced by too many external factors/disparate development/environment.

This thread is shit. Give it a rest.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Music is too subjective and influenced by too many external factors/disparate development/environment.

I happen to think that there are far more objective things to look at when it comes to criticizing art than most people seem to believe.

This thread is shit. Give it a rest.

That's a little subjective, don't you think? :D

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Sorry, I'm a bit of a twat today. I can't watch any more videos: my headphones are somewhere else and I'm on a laptop.