• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Boomslang's Three-A-Day Musical Thread

boomslang

friendly and accessible
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I got the urge to make a music thread, so I'm gonna put up three songs a day until I get bored and stop. I'll probably start using spoiler tags if the videos start causing too much browser strain, which is a problem I've found with the musical threads on forums in general.

If you've gone musically stagnant and you're looking for new stuff to get into, here's a good start:

Last edited:

boomslang

friendly and accessible
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Last edited:

boomslang

friendly and accessible
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Last edited:

boomslang

friendly and accessible
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In a bit of a hurry today, so I'll put the tracks up and fill the blurb in when I next get a chance. Videos under the spoiler button from now on.

EDIT: BLURBS ADDED

Last edited:

boomslang

friendly and accessible
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

boomslang

friendly and accessible
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I missed yesterday, so I'm just going to put both days' worth of picks in one post.

Last edited:

boomslang

friendly and accessible
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Last edited:

boomslang

friendly and accessible
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Animals as Leaders - Soraya (from Animals as Leaders)

This is an interesting track. Animals as Leaders is a project featuring Tosin Abasi, some fella who used to be in Animosity. In this band he's saddled up with an 8 string guitar and is engaged in all manner of guitar tapping. The music has a loosely jazz fusion palette and production-wise, this is a bit more amateur than the later albums, but there's a nice feeling to this song (and album). If you're into innovative guitar bands, this is great stuff.

Augury - Beatus (from Concealed)

Beatus is the first track on Concealed. Stylewise, it's a mixup of technical death metal and symphonic elements. Male/female vocals, with the former going for more traditional death metal vocals and the latter going for an operatic style. Fun fact: the male vocalist of this band is (or was) an English teacher. I really really like the section starting about 3:10 in where the tone of the song gets kind of astral or something and an unusual guitar solo starts, leading into this creepy as hell pickup scratching screech.

Necrophagist - Only Ash Remains (from Epitaph)

Necrophagist play neoclassical inspired (think Yngwie Malmsteen) technical death metal. In a strange way, it's really nice music. Maybe because it doesn't really come that close to being savage death metal. I think this band might just have some of the prettiest guitar solos in metal. I really can't describe it any other way. Only Ash Remains is no exception. And kind of bizarrely, it ends with a rendition of Prokofiev's Dance of the Knights from his Romeo and Juliet ballet. Skip to 3:38 if you want to hear it.

Last edited:

boomslang

friendly and accessible
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Peeping Tom - Sucker (feat. Norah Jones) (from Peeping Tom)

This is a Mike Patton one-off project where he made an album of what he thought pop music should sound like. There's collabs on every single track and this one features Norah Jones. Yes, the same Norah Jones that made the smooth jazz rubbish your parents listen to. She's pretty damn sexy on this track, so it's pretty cool to see a huge about-face from a muso like her. Nice hip-hop scratching all throughout. Tasty pop track.

Death From Above 1979 - Sexy Results (from You’re a Woman, I’m a Machine)

DFA1979 is actually a duo, featuring a bass player and a drummer that also plays occasional synth and does the vocals. There's no guitar, so the bass player distorts his bass and typically plays around the 7th fret onward (which would be the notes you'd have on a baritone guitar). The bass and drums line up fantastically and the result is excellent dancey punk zingers. Their lyrics are pretty much exclusively about sex and partying, which is fine by me. I wish more dance music was like this, honestly. One of the coolest damn bands out and they just reunited with a new album after five years, then took another four to pump out the album. The two guys kind of hate each other, but I think they put their differences aside for the music, maaaaan.

The Bloody Beetroots - Have Mercy On Us (feat. Cécile) (from Romborama)

Despite the name, The Bloody Beetroots are a house group from ITALY. I haven't been able to figure out if they just use sequencing or instruments as well. I've seen snaps of them playing with guitars and basses live, so I'm not totally sure. They wear Venom masks all the time, so I think they're going for a kind of Daft Punk thing. This song swaps out the house music four to the floor beat for a rocky boom bap bass-snare style thang. Tasty synth all over the place and video game music-esque haunted castle arpeggios all over the place. I'm not that big on dance music, but this passes the goal line with flying colours. Get in it.

Last edited:

boomslang

friendly and accessible
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Blonde Redhead - Spring and by Summer Fall (from 23)

Alcest - Sur L'autre Rive Je T’attendra (from Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde)

A Place to Bury Strangers - Straight (from Transfixiation)