• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Terminator Genisys: Random Viewer Review

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My first exposure to this movie, besides previews that I barely paid attention to because of possible spoilers and a general lack of interest in continuing to watch this series, came from this thread:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/arts-and-entertainment/77406-terminator-genisys-goes.html

My first thought about that thread was to keep an open mind. So I read a synopsis of the movie somewhere online, liked what I read, and decided to watch this one, although I skipped Terminator Salvation.

I found that skipping Salvation didn't matter one iota. If you've watched the original Terminator (1984) and are at least cognizant of the main plot points of Terminator 2: Judgment Day, then Genisys will be easy to follow from that standpoint.

However -

Many time-lines makes things confusing. So don't be caught unaware as I was. I knew in general what was coming before I went in, but like the human characters in the movie, I found it all to be rather mind-bending.

[Insert unoriginal comment from a responder who will state that it was not mind-bending to the responder, and who will then state that it's not worth the time trying to explain it to me.]

Having taken a leaf from the Star Trek franchise's 'book', the existence of time travel and the theoretical possibility of alternate time-lines makes for new movie possibilities, thus opportunities for making a profit without having to take a risk on something new (e.g., John Carter).

Despite my intense dislike of Jason Clarke who portrayed John Connor, and the fact that in some ways the movie is typical Hollywood schlock, the characters held my interest, I loved Schwartzenegger whose aged appearance fits the role he played perfectly (the Guardian), and the story held my interest for the entire 2 hours.

The blatant Pepsi Maxx advertising was uncalled for and detracted from the whole.

The idea of 'Genisys' did not turn out to be what I thought it would be.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So bottom line, is it worth watching in the theater, or is it fine to just wait until it's out on Redbox Bluray?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So bottom line, is it worth watching in the theater, or is it fine to just wait until it's out on Redbox Bluray?

I can't speak for anybody on that. However, with its 7.1 grade, I would generally say Redbox it. In my case, I was very curious to see the movie and don't regret spending the extra money on a theater ticket.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I honestly don't know how to answer that question. It sounds like something a movie review blogger would ask, who ends every review with recommendations of either a "go see it!" or "Redbox it!" or "skip this one." But my mind doesn't operate that way. Subjectively speaking, if someone is a fan of the franchise, then I say GO SEE IT!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I honestly just wanted to know for myself. Everyone is different. I was also just trying to get an idea of whether the special effects were worth it, even with a shoddy plot. Effects tend to less subjective.

I think I'll wait.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I honestly just wanted to know for myself. Everyone is different. I was also just trying to get an idea of whether the special effects were worth it, even with a shoddy plot. Effects tend to less subjective.

I think I'll wait.

If you're a fan of the franchise, then I say GO SEE IT!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't see anything wrong with the special effects.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mike and Jay review Terminator:Genisys (AKA, Mom, Can I Keep Him?)

SPOILERS LIE WITHIN THE VIDEO

Although Mike says the movie began to fall apart when Arnie first appeared, Jay said later on that Arnie made the movie. Did Terminator:Genisys fall apart early on and then become Terminator: Rise of the Movie when Arnie appeared?

Mike recommended that, as a fan film, only Terminator fans should go see this movie (as I stated in a post above). Jay just gave it a flat thumbs down.

I don't live for movies, but when I see them I set out to enjoy them not tear them down.

P.s., The psychiatrist guy made an appearance as usual... But he has a completely adjusted attitude toward time travel and terminators. So for all the times Mike and Jay said this movie was nostalgia-based fan service, they should have at least mentioned the change in Dr. O'Brien (is that his name?).