• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rick & Morty

ENTP-Guy

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I watched a couple of episodes and tried to like it, but felt like it was... soulless.

The dark comedies I like are grounded in some kind of warmth. Light? Hope? I dunno. That's part of why I'm so into "BoJack Horseman". But I got none of that from "Rick and Morty".

I wonder if what's bothering me is the utter lack of Fi.

Some people like a special kind of stuff and some people like other kind of stuff. As an ENTP I like to think there's more of an in depth meaning to Rick and Morty than what already lies before us. It pretty much questions our existence in every episode. When the Rick and Morty die in the universe and the other Rick and Morty replace them. Morty says: "Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die." Then what I've heard from a lot of people is that the show shows us two perspectives of our existence. Rick and Jerry. Jerry being the one oblivious too the soul crushing mediocrity of life and would rather be happy living in a simulation than his real life. And then there's Rick, who understands life's misery and accepts it. Though he disguises his anger, pain and misery through sarcastic comments and "assholery"; he's in great pain. Seen by him saying his catch phrase: "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub" which literally translates to: "I'm in great pain." Some would say the life Jerry lives is better off than Rick's; That he enjoys the life he's given rather than Rick who understands the shit, accepts it yet suffers. I don't know, maybe I'm reading in to much. I love the show though.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Some people like a special kind of stuff and some people like other kind of stuff. As an ENTP I like to think there's more of an in depth meaning to Rick and Morty than what already lies before us. It pretty much questions our existence in every episode. When the Rick and Morty die in the universe and the other Rick and Morty replace them. Morty says: "Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die." Then what I've heard from a lot of people is that the show shows us two perspectives of our existence. Rick and Jerry. Jerry being the one oblivious too the soul crushing mediocrity of life and would rather be happy living in a simulation than his real life. And then there's Rick, who understands life's misery and accepts it. Though he disguises his anger, pain and misery through sarcastic comments and "assholery"; he's in great pain. Seen by him saying his catch phrase: "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub" which literally translates to: "I'm in great pain." Some would say the life Jerry lives is better off than Rick's; That he enjoys the life he's given rather than Rick who understands the shit, accepts it yet suffers. I don't know, maybe I'm reading in to much. I love the show though.
I don't think you're reading too much into it. You're actually perfectly describing the reason why I find the show so relentlessly hopeless and sad. More power to anyone (yourself included) who disagrees with me.

ENTP-Guy

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think you're reading too much into it. You're actually perfectly describing the reason why I find the show so relentlessly hopeless and sad. More power to anyone (yourself included) who disagrees with me.

Hahaha, well, to each their own I suppose. :)

Duffy

I watched a couple of episodes and tried to like it, but felt like it was... soulless.

The dark comedies I like are grounded in some kind of warmth. Light? Hope? I dunno. That's part of why I'm so into "BoJack Horseman". But I got none of that from "Rick and Morty".

I wonder if what's bothering me is the utter lack of Fi.

I'm sort of drawn to the absurdity. In the same vein, I was into shows like Dead Leaves (recommend) and Super Jail. I didn't think it was soulless. I thought it was very human despite of.

Also, I'm opposite, I couldn't get into BoJack. It's a shame because I've heard so many good things about it.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My ENFP friend has been making me keep watching "Rick and Morty", and while I remain deeply conflicted, I also think "The Ricks Must Be Crazy" -- even as a standalone 20 minute thing, not part of a greater series -- is a fucking genius work of sci-fi storytelling. Just mind-blowing. On par with the best episodes of "The Twilight Zone".

SilentWave

MBTI Type
I?F?
This is one of the best shows ever. There is a very cool video on youtube that tries to signify what meaning the show has, but it is full of SPOILERS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWFDHynfl1E

I suggest watching it after finishing both of the seasons. I was drawn to it because of a few trailers I saw on youtube, and I simply love dark humor. It kinda readjusts your perspective and slaps you in the face saying: "You are not so important, get off your high horse!" The show is full of references and parodies, yet it explores old concepts with creative twists. I was also put off by Rick's early behavior (especially first 2-3 episodes) but you start relating to the characters fast. The story in addition to the characters constantly grows in a good pace, so I would highly recommend sucking it up for the first few episodes because it really gets more addictive the more you watch.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Rick Sanchez is a typical ESTP
Morty is your ISFJ enabler
Summer is also ESTP
Jerry is the ESFJ
Beth is harder to pin down, maybe ISFJ?

Basically everyone is a prisoner to Rick's self destructive behaviour and he threatens/abuses his family until they love him again. The family and the viewer are conned into believing he has a softer side so you don't outright give up on him. He has all the worst qualities of Homer Simpson turned up to 11. The only one that managed to escape was Jerry.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Rick - ISTP sx-last 8w7
Morty - INFP so/sx 9w1
Summer - ESFP sp-first 7w6
Jerry - ENFJ so/sx ?w?
Beth - ESTJ sp/so 3w2

Nothing screams e8 + inferior Fe than you and your alternate selves creating a government just to hate on the sheer concept of government.

yeghor

Old thread

Rick (granpa) - INTP (reminds me of Larry David)

Morty (son) - ISFJ

Summer (daughter) - ESTP

Jerry (dad) - ESFJ

Beth (mom) - ISTP

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It’s alright but super overrated

Far from the genius tv show its fans would consider it. Edgy tv for normies.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's back.

Now 2 episodes in..

I like it.

I actually stole this line back in 2016 and said this word for word as I was returning equipment to this guy working at Vauxhall Market when I was done selling my stuff and was done for the day.