• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Terminator Genisys Goes Down....

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I felt exactly the same as you. My excitement dropped from 'moderately hopeful' to 'seriously, this sucks' in the exact length of time it took to watch that trailer. Actually, I've never watched a trailer before that spoiled the movie to such an extent that I've nearly lost interest in going to see it.

The only other movie I can recall where you were slapped in the face halfway through a trailer (on TV *and* in the theater) unexpectedly like that was the trailer for "Dream House" starring Daniel Craig, out a few years ago. It was supposed to be a horror movie, and it spilled the largest secret of the movie halfway through.

Like... WHAT??!

And this: "I think they felt they had to do something game-changing in how the film was being perceived."
I thought - and that's the best they could come up with??? Wow, disappointing.

Yes. When you feel like you have to do that to "change the game," the game is really horrible indeed.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just feel like Terminator has run out of gas. There's no more juice in there. How many damn times can they keep sending robots back in time?

I keep waiting for ole' Ah-nold as the Terminator to say, "Go Go Gadget Flamethrower" (yes, with his lame accent) and liven things up a bit...

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Even if the trailer hadn't been horrible, I still wouldn't have had any desire to see it, solely on the basis of their spelling of "genisys". I mean, really.

The title "Genisys" refers to "SYS", a computer term referring to the "System" or critical files that the system depends on to function properly, as well as "genesis", a beginning or start (in context, the core of the story hinges on time-travel to where the war begins)."

IMDB.com

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The title "Genisys" refers to "SYS", a computer term referring to the "System" or critical files that the system depends on to function properly, as well as "genesis", a beginning or start (in context, the core of the story hinges on time-travel to where the war begins)."

What if civilizations had files like that? Could you hack them, I wonder? I suppose if this was so, there would be a potential for both white hat and black hat hackers.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

If anyone here didn't figure that out on their own, raise their hand?

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Terminator Genisys' marketing team made one of the most bizarre decisions we've ever seen, when a seemingly run of the mill trailer straight up spoiled a major plot twist earlier this year. Many unwitting viewers were unhappy. So was the director, Alan Taylor...

To be honest, it did pretty much the opposite for me despite their intentions, making me less inclined to to go see it.

Salvation did the same thing- they showed enough of the scene where Bale's character was questioning Sam Worthington's character to show what was going on, then Bale unfastening Worthington's head restraints, and then Worthington looking down and screaming when he saw the cyborg innards.

It's frustrating when trailers do that. Or the comedy equivalent- when they spoil the funniest lines.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Salvation did the same thing- they showed enough of the scene where Bale's character was questioning Sam Worthington's character to show what was going on, then Bale unfastening Worthington's head restraints, and then Worthington looking down and screaming when he saw the cyborg innards.

It's frustrating when trailers do that. Or the comedy equivalent- when they spoil the funniest lines.

So this thread is a critique of a trailer for the movie?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If anyone here didn't figure that out on their own, raise their hand?

*Sheepishly raises hand*

I figured it had some "clever" tie to a maguffin in the film, but this doesn't change the fact that the spelling looks silly.

Also, using "genesis" in a film title is very derivative of the countless films that have used "Resurrection" and "Origins" in their titles.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

It seems like they do this because audiences have been conditioned to expect "twists" in their films. Of course, ruining the twist in the trailer sort of defeats the purpose. I'm pretty sure that trailers for Planet of the Apes would've shown the ruined lady liberty had the film been released and marketed in 2015. Hell, even one of the DVD or Blu releases spoiled this with the cover art!

It also begs the question of whether a film is worthwile if its whole impact hinges on hackneyed plot twists. It has a tendency to destroy rewatch value.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
*Sheepishly raises hand*

I figured it had some "clever" tie to a maguffin in the film, but this doesn't change the fact that the spelling looks silly.

Damn.

Well... I sit corrected. :blush: *sits*

Also, using "genesis" in a film title is very derivative of the countless films that have used "Resurrection" and "Origins" in their titles.

Goes without saying...

There were so many better titles for this movie in that vein:

Terminator: Desecration
Terminator: Defecation
Terminator: Defenestration
Terminator: Lamentation
Terminator: Abomination

... but I digress.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Damn.

Well... I sit corrected. :blush: *sits*

Goes without saying...

There were so many better titles for this movie in that vein:

Terminator: Desecration
Terminator: Defecation
Terminator: Defenestration
Terminator: Lamentation
Terminator: Abomination

... but I digress.

Terminator: Termination

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My mind was blown when I realized they were played by the same actor.

giphy.gif