• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fanfic: trash and treasure

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The topic of fanfiction came up in another thread, which led me to wondering what people's experience of fanfic has been. There are stories based on all sorts of originals, from Harry Potter to Pride and Prejudice, plus crossovers. In my experience, much of it is awful, but some is pretty darned good.

So, comment on your experiences. Post links to your favorites, or to stories so awful they have to be read to be believed. I'll post some later, when I have time to dig up the links.

Chrysanthea

I am not sure this counts as a fanfic, but it is an accurate interpretation of the Elder Scrolls Universe written by someone unaffiliated with the original creators, Bethesda. Right now the series consists of The Elder Scrolls: Infernal City and The Elder Scrolls: Lord of Souls. I myself have only read part of it from free sources, but I'll probably get to buying it soon. The fact that it has been officially recognized by the gaming company itself proves it could be very promising without bringing in unrealistic ideas that don't really fit.

Though if you're wanting some romantic (and comedical) fanfic then I suggest looking up all the various interpretations of The Lusty Argonian Maid. They can be... Quite entertaining.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
There was a time in 2000 where I wrote a few Star Trek fanfic stories for a newsgroup. It was set before Kirk's time.

Soon, lo and behold, they did Star Trek: Enterprise the year after...

Part of me wondered whether a producer scanned the fanfic newsgroup for ideas, saw my stories and thought "Yes, we can do a pre-TOS series", and they introduced an enemy called the "Suliban" which I thought was based on my surname. But no, I don't think I was responsible for the worst Star Trek series ever :D

I could post them but I don't think they're very good.

Qre:us

I've read my share of fanfic, but they're mostly a certain blend of fanfic. Slash (/). ;)

There's only one heterosexual pairing I read in fanfiction, and that pairing is unconventional in many, many ways.

The quality of fanfic depends on the pairing/fandom, notably two factors, imo: (1) how popular it is, which increases the number of fanfics, which increases the ratio of good/bad fanfics, (2) the show - and the type of audience it attracts.

Obscure fandoms, or really unintelligent shows, that just happens to have two characters with interesting chemistry, can spawn fanfic, and trawling through the mess of fanfic in that fandom gives me a headache. I feel dumber after reading them.

He said, ....
Then, he said, .....
Then, he said,.....

Mein gott! (E.L. James, anyone?)

But, I've read my share of amazing fanfics, usually having seen it recce'd multiple times, and for good reason. These writers, who do the craft simply as a hobby and out of interest, can actually turn their skills into money, they're that good. But there they remain, anonymous and obscure.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wrote 2/3 of a SW Episode 2 fanfic screenplay circa 2000.

I also wrote a Lewis & Clark adventure story in elementary school. It sort of read like a buddy cop movie.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I've read fanfic, but I am not sure if I can think of any that really stood out to me. There are a bunch of good ones, and a bunch of bad ones... But those exceptional...

But hey, at least you guys are giving me new material!