• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Star Trek vs. Star Wars

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't even think they should be compared, but if I have to pick, Star Trek hands down. TOS, TNG, the rest doesn't count.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't even think they should be compared, but if I have to pick, Star Trek hands down. TOS, TNG, the rest doesn't count.

You don't like Deep Space 9? I thought it was fascinating, especially the stuff with the conflict from the Gamma Quadrant and the wormhole that the Federation wanted to control because it was important for galactic transportation. There's also the whole thing about Bajorans and Cardassians, and they managed to flesh out the Mirror Universe. I also thought Captain Sisko was pretty cool. He wasn't really a by-the-book guy, and he bent the rules when bending the rules was what needed to be done. His way of dealing with Q was classic.

benjamin_sisko_captain.jpg

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You don't like Deep Space 9? I thought it was fascinating. Captain Sisko was pretty cool.

It was fine, but I was always more drawn the themes and feeling of the Gene Roddenberry ST, kind of a wide-eyed exploration. I was excited about Voyager for that reason, and it was fine also, but it doesn't have the magic. I don't believe in eating entire franchises because I liked part of it once. As nerdy as I am, this is why I don't really merge well with fan communities.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It was fine, but I was always more drawn the themes and feeling of the Gene Roddenberry ST, kind of a wide-eyed exploration. I was excited about Voyager for that reason, and it was fine also, but it doesn't have the magic. I don't believe in eating entire franchises because I liked part of it once. As nerdy as I am, this is why I don't really merge well with fan communities.

IMO, a lot of fan communities have the same attitude; they're usually always critical of the later, recent things, whether it's good or not. The basic attitude is that it's different from what I liked before, so it's bad. That's why I'm not a perfect fit, either.

The Star Wars prequels were flawed and inferior to the originals, but I appreciate the story they were trying to tell (they just didn't do a good job of it.) They managed to have a few good scenes and ideas, as it was.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Star Trek. The other one is CGI swordfighting and Jim Henson.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Star Trek. The other one is CGI swordfighting and Jim Henson.

The thing I like about Star Wars is that a bunch of young people from a bunch of different backgrounds and species took on a faceless authoritarian organization devoted to uniformity. I also like that it dealt with the concept of the enemy within. I thought the idea that Luke and Vader were connected, and that Luke could become Vader if he's not careful, was interesting.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
The thing I like about Star Wars is that a bunch of young people from a bunch of different backgrounds and species took on a faceless authoritarian organization devoted to uniformity. I also like that it dealt with the concept of the enemy within. I thought the idea that Luke and Vader were connected, and that Luke could become Vader if he's not careful, was interesting.

True, but all the silly stuff "for the kids" does kind of ruin it.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I grew up with Star Wars from a very early age. I didn't get into Star Trek until I was about 11 or 12. That said, I prefer Star Trek. Star Wars is fine, but ultimately it's just another version of the good vs. evil, light vs. darkness trope. Star Trek is more complex. Especially Deep Space Nine. TOS and TNG were very noble and idealistic, but DS9 was grittier and had more shades of gray. The characters were complicated, and none were entirely good or bad. I found them to be the most realistic of all the Trek characters.

Voyager was mostly crap. But I did love the Doctor. And Seven. She was awesome. Don't get me started on Enterprise.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I grew up with Star Wars from a very early age. I didn't get into Star Trek until I was about 11 or 12. That said, I prefer Star Trek. Star Wars is fine, but ultimately it's just another version of the good vs. evil, light vs. darkness trope. Star Trek is more complex. Especially Deep Space Nine. TOS and TNG were very noble and idealistic, but DS9 was grittier and had more shades of gray. The characters were complicated, and none were entirely good or bad. I found them to be the most realistic of all the Trek characters.

Yeah, I really like the complexity of Deep Space 9. I just watched the episode "For The Uniform" with Michael Eddington, and that was all kinds of shades of grey. It was awesome.

I'd also argue that Star Wars is a little more complicated in its morality then people make it out to be. Luke doesn't win in the end by kicking the bad guy's ass because he's a bad guy. He uses a different tactic. Han Solo is a selfish individual who is only in it for the money (supposedly) yet he saves the day at the end of the first movie and becomes fully committed to a cause by the third movie. Lando betrays his friend but realizes that he's made a deal with a devil and looks to correct his mistakes and finally take a stand. There's more going on than people think.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

Voyager was mostly crap. But I did love the Doctor. And Seven. She was awesome. Don't get me started on Enterprise.

Part of me still wants to kick Tom Paris in the testes.

I loved DS9, it brought a new, needed dimension to Star Trek. And Sisko is my favourite captain.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I really like the complexity of Deep Space 9. I just watched the episode "For The Uniform" with Michael Eddington, and that was all kinds of shades of grey. It was awesome.

I'd also argue that Star Wars is a little more complicated in its morality then people make it out to be. Luke doesn't win in the end by kicking the bad guy's ass because he's a bad guy. He uses a different tactic. Han Solo is a selfish individual who is only in it for the money (supposedly) yet he saves the day at the end of the first movie and becomes fully committed to a cause by the third movie. Lando betrays his friend but realizes that he's made a deal with a devil and looks to correct his mistakes and finally take a stand. There's more going on than people think.
"In the Pale Moonlight" is probably my favorite DS9 episode. God, I love that scoundrel Garak.

Those are good points. Also, I should mention that the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic games are amazing. And that the characters can turn good or evil, depending on how you play and how much influence you have on them.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"In the Pale Moonlight" is probably my favorite DS9 episode. God, I love that scoundrel Garak.

I think that's the next episode. I didn't realize it was a Garak episode, so I will enjoy it quite a bit, seeing as how I do enjoy Garak.

Those are good points. Also, I should mention that the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic games are amazing. And that the characters can turn good or evil, depending on how you play and how much influence you have on them.

When you played, did you play as a dark side character or a light side character? What kind of choices did you have to make that would affect this outcome?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I prefer Star Wars but it's not really a fair comparison because I haven't had any real exposure to Star Trek previously. I didn't really watch TV while young, it was mostly games and movies, so Star Wars was all I really knew and had a greater presence for me, not to mention the expanded universe, toys, etc were just everywhere.

Even now though, I love Star Wars and that entire universe. The technology, the philosphy, the sense of the adventure, the characters, even the music playing still gives me chills.

For a Star Trek noob, where should I start if I want to check it out?

Kas

Fabula rasa
I like both, but if I had to choose, I choose "Star Wars". I watched it first time when I was a kid and then many times. It's funny and entertaining and is a nice good vs evil storytale. Even if it's naive, I can forgive it:)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like both, but if I had to choose, I choose "Star Wars". I watched it first time when I was a kid and then many times. It's funny and entertaining and is a nice good vs evil storytale. Even if it's naive, I can forgive it:)

Maybe, but I'm incredibly curious about the new movie, for what that's worth. In particular, I want to know more about Gwendoline Christie's character. The rumors I've heard about what she might be up to are interesting.

gwendoline-christies-star-wars-vii-chrome-trooper-captain-phasma-secretly-a-dark-side-user-not-a-sith-lord.png

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Captain Kirk made out with saucy space alien chicks. Luke made out with his own twin sister.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I prefer Star Trek but I've never seen Star Wars, so I'm not sure if it's fair for me to vote. Oh well. I was really into Star Trek as a teen and then I sort of grew out of it, I guess. But I still remember it fondly.

I have an anecdote, if anyone wants to hear it. One time I was at a party and someone vomited on my shoes (this is related to Star Trek, don't worry) and I said, "I'd much rather be watching Star Trek" and some random guy I'd been talking to said "I LOVE STAR TREK CAN I WATCH IT WITH YOU?!" So we went back to my dorm and I put Star Trek in and pulled out a chair for him and sat on my bed and he seemed really put out but I couldn't figure out why, because we were watching Amok Time, which is the best episode. So then the episode ended and he left and I was like, good riddance, and then a year later I realised he hadn't really wanted to watch Star Trek. :shock: