• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

movies you can't wait for

Proctor

MBTI Type
INTJ
The Force Awakens. It definitely has potential, but I'm worried that with Abrams it'll be just as generic and boring as the last two Star Trek movies.

Big fan of the Coen Brothers so looking forward to Hail Caesar as well. Hopefully it'll be the meaningful, introspective Coens of Fargo and No Country for Old Men we get. And not the zany madcap Coens of Burn After Reading and Intolerable Cruelty. Though it's looking more like the latter.

Ingrid in grids

Swiss Army Man

swiss-army-man.jpg

Vanity Fair said:
Swiss Army Man is a comedy so head-scratching-ly surreal that even the Sundance Film Festival programmer introducing it on Friday afternoon confessed, “I’m not sure what this is about, but I thought it should be here.”

Essentially, the film stars Paul Dano as a suicidal man stranded on a desert island and ready to give up hope when a flatulent corpse (played by Daniel Radcliffe) washes ashore. Dano is able to board Radcliffe’s cadaver and ride it like a jet ski back to land, where Radcliffe’s various body parts offer a surprising number of survival utilities during Dano’s trek back to civilization. (Hence the film's title.) Somehow, Radcliffe begins to show signs of life, and Dano coaxes his revival by teaching him how to live, love, and pass gas inconspicuously. . .in theory. (The corpse does not stop releasing bodily emissions throughout the movie.) Variety savvily summed up the film as “Cast Away meets Weekend at Bernie’s, as directed by Michel Gondry.”

Regardless of whether or not audiences enjoy the film, or flatulence-related movie plots, they will walk away from the picture knowing that everyone involved was 100 percent committed to the unequivocally unique vision, whatever that is or means exactly. Because, as filmmakers Daniel Scheinert and Daniel Kwan—the visionaries behind DJ Snake and Lil Jon’s “Turn Down for What” music video—revealed during the Q&A that followed the screening, they aren't entirely sure of those points either.

“Originally it was just a fart joke that Dan made to me,” Scheinert said of the film’s inspiration. “And then, just joking along the way about how the man riding a farting corpse could be a feature, I think we stumbled on something personal. It was an opportunity to express mortality and big ideas but with fart jokes so we don't feel too self-conscious about it being a full-on drama.”

Added Kwan, “It was like the dumbest idea mixed with the most personal ideas and we kind of splashed them together to see what happens.”

As for what appealed to the actors, Radcliffe said, “The script was really funny and original. And then Paul wrote to me and said, essentially, ‘I think these directors are crazy geniuses.’ Then I met Dan Scheinert, and the chance to play a dead guy in this context was just too much fun to pass up.”

Paul chimed in that he was game to star as soon as he flipped the first page of the script: “Like page two, once [the character] was riding the farting body, I was in.”

But. . . what is the movie about, again?

“There was one line we came up with,” said Kwan, “That was, ‘A suicidal man has to convince a dead body that life is worth living. And so it's a film exploring the contradiction and comedy and drama in that.”

Although the film leaves audiences with more questions than answers, Scheinert did seem certain of one aspect of the project. When an audience member mistakenly identified the movie as a comedy, the filmmaker immediately cut in to clarify, “Actually, it's a fart drama.”

My God. I can't stop laughing.
[MENTION=8584]SpankyMcFly[/MENTION]

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My God. I can't stop laughing.

[MENTION=8584]SpankyMcFly[/MENTION]

This part piqued my interest;

“There was one line we came up with,” said Kwan, “That was, ‘A suicidal man has to convince a dead body that life is worth living. And so it's a film exploring the contradiction and comedy and drama in that.”

Quite absurdist, which makes me think of Camus and a quote of his that goes something like Only after you've reconciled with death, is real life possible.

"In Le Mythe, Camus suggests that 'creation of meaning' would entail a logical leap or a kind of philosophical suicide in order to find psychological comfort. But Camus wants to know if he can live with what logic and lucidity has uncovered – if one can build a foundation on what one knows and nothing more. Creation of meaning is not a viable alternative but a logical leap and an evasion of the problem. He gives examples of how others would seem to make this kind of leap. The alternative option, namely suicide, would entail another kind of leap, where one attempts to kill absurdity by destroying one of its terms (the human being). Camus points out, however, that there is no more meaning in death than there is in life, and that it simply evades the problem yet again. Camus concludes that we must instead "entertain" both death and the absurd, while never agreeing to their terms."

"Should I kill myself? Or have a cup of coffee?" - Albert Camus

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
[MENTION=27014]florpoetis[/MENTION]
I can't wait for that one too! When was the last time we got something that came close to an arthouse horror movie?

I personally can't wait for this one:

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Fantastic beasts-not sure if already out, dont think so.

And want to see suffregette as soon as I can well get to it without having to online stream.