• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What movie has your favorite sci-fi interfaces?

What movie has your favorite interfaces/production design?

• Back to the Future

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Predator

• Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• WarGames

• Batman Returns

• Total voters

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The best control panel is where there is no control panel, and you're an amorphous space folding blob:

goetia_girls_navigator_dune_lucid_dreamer.gif

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I picked Star Trek, because it's the most familiar to me.

But I almost picked Hitchhiker's Guide, because of the sheer hilarious absurdity and utter uselessness of the technology in that movie.

You've got to love that tiny steering wheel.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
oh, oh, I'm also very partial to crystal interfaces:

Enygmatic

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I chose Star Wars because I loved the different feels to the ships (e.g. the rebels' ships were very dirty and lived in while the empire's ships were beautifully shiny and spotless) and I liked how the designs took real word things and did a twist (e.g. the lightsabers based on samurai swords if I'm not mistaken) on them.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow, this is going to be difficult. I need to think about it and get back to you.

ygolo

My termites win

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I chose Star Wars because there's so much depth to the universe and all they've included (if you include expanded universe material as well as the movies and games). But even with the movies alone I would still pick it, the design of the saber hilts, the pure detail. The ships. The environments of many different worlds simply had the most allure.

Second to that I enjoy the Predator's technology, weapons, and ship designs.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like Alien. Everything seems like it might actually work. It looks like everything has a purpose.

I like Ron Cobb's design work because everything served a purpose; nothing was there just because it looked cool. Which makes it even cooler.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I voted Star Trek. It's attractive and functional. Even the old school TOS bridge still looks futuristic in many ways. The fact that the bridge is filled with large, color-coded buttons and switches suggests that starfleet designed it not just with humans in mind, but aliens of various physical makeups--it's very universal. Of course the sleek TNG era designs are what really influenced my decision. Picard's "laptop" looks a bit clunky by today's standards, but I find that a lot of the tech from TNG, DS9 and Voyager have aged remarkably well two decades on.

It really came down to a tie between Alien and Trek though. On a sidenote, if anyone has the chance, I'd recommend playing Alien: Isolation. The game is full of eye candy for people who liked the anachronistic look of the first film...there are actually boomboxes with cassette decks, CRT monitors with pre-graphic interface operating systems, and giant oldstyle computer mainframes, to name just a few things. The game design owes heavily to Ron Cobb's (and Giger's) original designs.