• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Gaming mouse

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
The importance of that is pretty debatable. That's why I'd go for the cheaper 518, which is probably the same mouse without the weights and adjustment.
Whoa!!!

Hang on a second... not important??? :shock:

Sniping... hello... smooth arcs...

Personally I hunted down a G5 for the dpi adjustment and the weights alone. The whole thing with the cable is a major improvement too. I've tried wireless, no good, and normal USB cables snag and develop a spring like quality that the G5 wire just doesn't do.

As for the weights, I've found it possible to match, exactly, the balance of the mouse to certain tasks. Whether you want the front to be able to twitch and keep the back stable or vice versa, though I must admit that I ended up with all of the heavy weights in there to reduce down on the "shiver" when aiming.

Great mouse and not that expensive compared to some of those wireless gadgets.

Oh and as for DPI, 400 for sniping, 800 for assault and 2000 for vehicles (esp tanks). It's easy to use and prooves invaluable if, like me, you tend to vary your roles (oh and I'm usually on Battlefield 2142 in case you were wondering what game I was on about).

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
Whoa!!!

Hang on a second... not important??? :shock:

Sniping... hello... smooth arcs...

Personally I hunted down a G5 for the dpi adjustment and the weights alone. The whole thing with the cable is a major improvement too. I've tried wireless, no good, and normal USB cables snag and develop a spring like quality that the G5 wire just doesn't do.

As for the weights, I've found it possible to match, exactly, the balance of the mouse to certain tasks. Whether you want the front to be able to twitch and keep the back stable or vice versa, though I must admit that I ended up with all of the heavy weights in there to reduce down on the "shiver" when aiming.

Great mouse and not that expensive compared to some of those wireless gadgets.

Oh and as for DPI, 400 for sniping, 800 for assault and 2000 for vehicles (esp tanks). It's easy to use and prooves invaluable if, like me, you tend to vary your roles (oh and I'm usually on Battlefield 2142 in case you were wondering what game I was on about).

I need a mouse for MMOs, not FPS.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP

Heh, I like the high DPI setting, once you get used to it, you can use it for anything...

Maybe you'll see my on 2142 sometime, I'm starting to get into it, after a very long time of playing BF2. (BF2's still a better game in my opinion)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
My G5 was screwing up, from what I read on the Tubes it was most likely the cable connection, and it was out of warranty. I just bought a 518 today, and I actually prefer the weight and tracking. I put my money where my mouth is.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
No, but I totally would, if I worked at Belkin, and my boss said "Test the new Nostromo today."
:D

I've tried a couple of these devices and since the Saitek Game Commander I've not found one that works as well (that one broke years ago). Personally I'd love a thumbstick to control movement in FPS games. What really throws me though is people use these things and still use the keys to do WASD controls :confused:

I'd buy one of these except I'm fed up with the current crop not working right... that last one the d-pad was totally not acceptible for movement. It was only 4 way!! I'm hoping this one would work but I'm not convinced.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I've never wanted anything other than a mouse to play FPS games. If I'm at a friends house and "have" to play one with a controller, I start yanking my hair out, it's horrible.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I've never wanted anything other than a mouse to play FPS games. If I'm at a friends house and "have" to play one with a controller, I start yanking my hair out, it's horrible.
< Is trained in both PC and console.

Nope. No such problem here. :D

In fact I can do the Indian attack only on a console. It doesn't work as well on a PC due to the mouse leading to over correction.

The Indian attack being basically to circle your target whilst keeping your gun trained on them. AI seems very weak against this kind of tactic.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
The Indian attack being basically to circle your target whilst keeping your gun trained on them. AI seems very weak against this kind of tactic.
We call that circle-strafing, and we (mousers) invented it circa 1996.

Note: I use invert mouse, since I was used to space/flight sims when I started playing Quake.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
We call that circle-strafing, and we (mousers) invented it circa 1996.

Note: I use invert mouse, since I was used to space/flight sims when I started playing Quake.
You n00b... everyone knows that when it's inverted it's called a trackerball.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Btw, strafing is the problem I found. A mouse is good for a smooth predictable curve but the fine control is reduced because the mouse can twist in your hand. Ergo circular strafing is more an autofire job where as with a controller you can hit them with every shot using semi auto. Mind you it doesn't help that there's no analogue control for movement, hence my search for a decent left hand device.