123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Star Wars: Rogue One

This is the first "anthology" movie (non-numbered) to come out between VII and VIII, i guess.

Directed by Gareth Edwards, from what I can tell it will not have Jedi (since the few remaining Jedi were in hiding), it takes place between III and IV and presumably is all about rebel forces stealing the plans that eventually get passed to Leia and thus to R2D2 -> Ben Kenobi -> Rebel forces. At least, that's how I put it together.

There's a bootlegged teaser trailer here. Get it before Disney gets it removed. At some point, they'll release it formally. It's only a minute, so not a lot of footage at this point.

Star Wars ‘Rogue One’ Trailer Leaks! Death Star Revealed!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

blackbird, fly Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    This is the first "anthology" movie (non-numbered) to come out between VII and VIII, i guess.

Directed by Gareth Edwards, from what I can tell it will not have Jedi (since the few remaining Jedi were in hiding), it takes place between III and IV and presumably is all about rebel forces stealing the plans that eventually get passed to Leia and thus to R2D2 -> Ben Kenobi -> Rebel forces. At least, that's how I put it together.

There's a bootlegged teaser trailer here. Get it before Disney gets it removed. At some point, they'll release it formally. It's only a minute, so not a lot of footage at this point.

Star Wars ‘Rogue One’ Trailer Leaks! Death Star Revealed!
    I'm not sure if I want a movie focusing on the stealing of the Death Star plans. That story has already been told in the Expanded Universe multiple times. I know that this movie would override that, but my point is that this is well-trod material. I'd rather see a focus on something entirely different other than Death Star; I really didn't need to see it at the end of Episode III, either (the hologram in II was fine). I like the idea of a movie that just focuses on the rebels, and doesn't include the Jedi at all, but I'd like to focus on what was going on with the rebellion in some other part of the galaxy, with situations we haven't seen before.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm not familiar with any of the Expanded Universe stuff or what was retconned, etc. I know the STKOTOR games, but the only book I ever read was "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" when I was young, and I watch a few episodes of the Clone Wars cartoon.

But they're already making it, though. Not much else to say about that.

Not sure what the other anthology pics will be.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm not familiar with any of the Expanded Universe stuff or what was retconned, etc.

But they're already making it, though. Not much else to say about that.

Not sure what the other anthology pics will be.
    Obviously, I don't know too much about it, and my opinion might change when I get more information. But the basic story idea really doesn't interest me. I stole the death star plans in a computer game when I was 11; I feel like this movie is lying and saying I didn't steal the death star plans. I don't know who Rogue One is, but the death star plans were stolen by flipping Kyle Katarn on the planet of Danuta. Case closed.

It's trying to take my accomplishments away from me.
    Last edited by Julius_Van_Der_Beak; 04-21-2015 at 06:57 PM.

-Zhuangzi

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I'm not sure if I want a movie focusing on the stealing of the Death Star plans. That story has already been told in the Expanded Universe multiple times. I know that this movie would override that
    In the first new Star Trek movie Abrams did, a parallel universe was created. Don’t know if it was their intention or it just worked out that way, but this freed the new series from any worry about undercutting events in the original series and films. If such doesn’t happen in the next Star Wars movie, entire bookstore Expanded Universe sections (and its geeky fans too perhaps) will be wiped out, deleted.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by nos4a2 View Post
    In the first new Star Trek movie Abrams did, a parallel universe was created. Don’t know if it was their intention or it just worked out that way, but this freed the new series from any worry about undercutting events in the original series and films. If such doesn’t happen in the next Star Wars movie, entire bookstore Expanded Universe sections (and its geeky fans too perhaps) will be wiped out, deleted.
    I don't care so much about the books being gone. I fucking stole those plans when I was 11, dammit!

-Zhuangzi

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Good grief, did I miss a newer thread on this or hasn't anyone discussed this for quite awhile now?

I don't want to get too excited after the debacle of Suicide Squad (which had great trailers and a shitty release), but... the Star Wars folks / Disney in general have better track records so you'd hope this will deliver. And no freakin' Jedi, which is nice. Just regular people, doing what they can.

Not sure what music they are using or if they just tossed it together for the trailers, but it's pretty effective. And I find I care a bit about the characters already, even from the trailers, which is important -- we know how all this ends, but we don't know how they get there and it's a good bet a lot if not all aren't coming back since we never see them again.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Permabanned
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by nos4a2 View Post
    It's already begun. The finding of the Death Star plans has been done twice since 1992. Neither of those stories had a female lead.

Senior Member Officer Ed Powell's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    TRSH None

There is a non-canon storyline in Battlefront 2 covering the stealing of the Death Star plans told from the perspective of the imperial 501st legion.

Those Bothan spies are a bitch to deal with.
    Give me clarity