• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Star Wars: Rogue One

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is the first "anthology" movie (non-numbered) to come out between VII and VIII, i guess.

Directed by Gareth Edwards, from what I can tell it will not have Jedi (since the few remaining Jedi were in hiding), it takes place between III and IV and presumably is all about rebel forces stealing the plans that eventually get passed to Leia and thus to R2D2 -> Ben Kenobi -> Rebel forces. At least, that's how I put it together.

There's a bootlegged teaser trailer here. Get it before Disney gets it removed. At some point, they'll release it formally. It's only a minute, so not a lot of footage at this point.

Star Wars ‘Rogue One’ Trailer Leaks! Death Star Revealed!

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is the first "anthology" movie (non-numbered) to come out between VII and VIII, i guess.

Directed by Gareth Edwards, from what I can tell it will not have Jedi (since the few remaining Jedi were in hiding), it takes place between III and IV and presumably is all about rebel forces stealing the plans that eventually get passed to Leia and thus to R2D2 -> Ben Kenobi -> Rebel forces. At least, that's how I put it together.

There's a bootlegged teaser trailer here. Get it before Disney gets it removed. At some point, they'll release it formally. It's only a minute, so not a lot of footage at this point.

Star Wars ‘Rogue One’ Trailer Leaks! Death Star Revealed!

I'm not sure if I want a movie focusing on the stealing of the Death Star plans. That story has already been told in the Expanded Universe multiple times. I know that this movie would override that, but my point is that this is well-trod material. I'd rather see a focus on something entirely different other than Death Star; I really didn't need to see it at the end of Episode III, either (the hologram in II was fine). I like the idea of a movie that just focuses on the rebels, and doesn't include the Jedi at all, but I'd like to focus on what was going on with the rebellion in some other part of the galaxy, with situations we haven't seen before.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not familiar with any of the Expanded Universe stuff or what was retconned, etc. I know the STKOTOR games, but the only book I ever read was "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" when I was young, and I watch a few episodes of the Clone Wars cartoon.

But they're already making it, though. :shrug: Not much else to say about that.

Not sure what the other anthology pics will be.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not familiar with any of the Expanded Universe stuff or what was retconned, etc.

But they're already making it, though. :shrug: Not much else to say about that.

Not sure what the other anthology pics will be.

Obviously, I don't know too much about it, and my opinion might change when I get more information. But the basic story idea really doesn't interest me. I stole the death star plans in a computer game when I was 11; I feel like this movie is lying and saying I didn't steal the death star plans. I don't know who Rogue One is, but the death star plans were stolen by flipping Kyle Katarn on the planet of Danuta. Case closed.

It's trying to take my accomplishments away from me. :(

Last edited:

nos4a2

I'm not sure if I want a movie focusing on the stealing of the Death Star plans. That story has already been told in the Expanded Universe multiple times. I know that this movie would override that

In the first new Star Trek movie Abrams did, a parallel universe was created. Don’t know if it was their intention or it just worked out that way, but this freed the new series from any worry about undercutting events in the original series and films. If such doesn’t happen in the next Star Wars movie, entire bookstore Expanded Universe sections (and its geeky fans too perhaps) will be wiped out, deleted. :(

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In the first new Star Trek movie Abrams did, a parallel universe was created. Don’t know if it was their intention or it just worked out that way, but this freed the new series from any worry about undercutting events in the original series and films. If such doesn’t happen in the next Star Wars movie, entire bookstore Expanded Universe sections (and its geeky fans too perhaps) will be wiped out, deleted. :(

I don't care so much about the books being gone. I fucking stole those plans when I was 11, dammit!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good grief, did I miss a newer thread on this or hasn't anyone discussed this for quite awhile now?

I don't want to get too excited after the debacle of Suicide Squad (which had great trailers and a shitty release), but... the Star Wars folks / Disney in general have better track records so you'd hope this will deliver. And no freakin' Jedi, which is nice. Just regular people, doing what they can.

Not sure what music they are using or if they just tossed it together for the trailers, but it's pretty effective. And I find I care a bit about the characters already, even from the trailers, which is important -- we know how all this ends, but we don't know how they get there and it's a good bet a lot if not all aren't coming back since we never see them again.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It's already begun. The finding of the Death Star plans has been done twice since 1992. Neither of those stories had a female lead.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is a non-canon storyline in Battlefront 2 covering the stealing of the Death Star plans told from the perspective of the imperial 501st legion.

Those Bothan spies are a bitch to deal with.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
IIRC official Lucasfilm policy has always been that expanded universe stuff is canon unless it contradicts or is "overwritten" by onscreen events in the films. SW canon is classed in 5 types.

Star Wars Canon Classes

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So you guys are both responding to a post that is a year and a half old, and to a member who hasn't posted for a year and half.

Any actual thoughts on the film?

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
IIRC official Lucasfilm policy has always been that expanded universe stuff is canon unless it contradicts or is "overwritten" by onscreen events in the films. SW canon is classed in 5 types.

Star Wars Canon Classes

It's already gotten rid of though. It's just the new canon is taking pieces of expanded universe and incorporating them. All the expanded universe is just basically converted into "Legends" which isn't really canon at all. What's annoying though is the Lore far before the movies aren't even canonized(or very very little) when it doesn't even interfere with the main movies. An alternate universe could work for stuff post-rotj at least.

I have high hopes for Rogue One, just hope the pretty main character doesn't get killed off so soon.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A little bit of extra footage here that did not appear in the US trailers...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

3 minutes trailer, might be too much (incorporates most of the prior footage).

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I bought my tickets for the 17th at 10 minutes after they went on sale :). Looking forward to seeing this. I hear it's the best Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back, which caused me to take notice because that is my favorite one.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I bought my tickets for the 17th at 10 minutes after they went on sale :). Looking forward to seeing this. I hear it's the best Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back, which caused me to take notice because that is my favorite one.

HAHAHA!

Yes, I reserved my tickets for recliner seats 3D right in the best spot in the theater, Dec 17 matinee, within about 12 hours after the tickets became available. (There was still one good seat in the right spot, left open for that showing.) I feel excited about this one.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I am really looking forwards to this movie. It seems after the steaming pile of crap the prequels were (Looking at you Phantom menace) it seems they have got back that charm that makes Star Wars an enjoyable series.