• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Wonder Woman 2017 (+ expectations for female directors?)

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I watched it and loved it as well though I though the ending was cheesy, but it didn't ruin the movie at all.

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Speaking of women directors, they deserve better, to be general. They deserve more opportunities -- more opportunities for success, and especially failure. If a man fails, he has nothing to worry about. If a woman does, it's all her goddamn fault and she's looked upon like dirt. It's a horrible double standard; it's sexist and it needs to change. This is just a small step, however. I can only hope positively for the future.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There was a weird bit of continuity weirdness where in Batman v Superman, Wonder Woman talks about abandoning the world of men for a century because of being disturbed by humanity (how edgy), yet in Wonder Woman, at the end of the movie, she seems very motivated to engage humanity and has even reached a place where she is willing to fight another god in order to protect humanity despite their myriad faults because there is also good in them.

The first Wonder Woman seems pessimistic and cynical; the second seems realistic but also very optimistic and committed. I can't imagine that latter Wonder Woman immediately withdrawing from the world of men for a century because "humans suck" basically.

I am chalking it up to two different character concepts and will probably have to ignore it.

Atomic Fiend

One was directed by a person who believed Superheroes stories need to have something of a positive message near the end and if there is in it's place tragedy, then it is an earned one.

The other was directed by someone who wanted to tell a dark and mature story without fully comprehending how or lacked the restraint to do so effectively.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I really liked it. I actually thought the ending was better than the beginning, and while part of the ending didn't make sense, I also thought part of it was clever. I kind of liked how the character's expectations were played with, as well. I also thought the romance was actually pretty well-done and didn't feel shoe-horned in as they often do in movies of this part as well. I actually felt it gave a bit of an emotional punch to the story. I also liked that they made the movie about WWI instead of WWII, because I don't think American pop culture explores that war enough.

Way better than the turdfest that was Batman vs. Superman. Here's hoping Justice League is more like Wonder Woman in terms of quality, although I'm not optimistic, considering it has the same director as Batman vs. Superman. I will be interested to see how Khal Drogo: Aquaman goes and if that's going to be something worth checking out.

Maybe I should re-ignite that male gaze thread I started a while back, too, lol.

Last edited:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wonder Woman came across to me as a snowflake.

Wonder Woman was raised to be a warrior. But when some general says that soldiers are meant to die, she gets all mushy and makes a humanistic speech.

When she was trying to find Ares, and even pointed out to Steve that they had made a deal that he should take her straight to Ares, she got side-tracked into a battle trying to save some civilians because... well, I thought killing Ares with the god-killer sword would end the war and save the civilians, but apparently not?