• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who sucks?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
There are lots of complex percussion styles outside of jazz, but a good jazz drummer will have an easier time learning new complex styles than the average drummer of other genres, because their style already requires complex playing to begin with.

Talent isn't just about being able to play complex music and technical know-how. Talented pop and blues musicians know how to create good songs that lots of people will like. Without talent, you suck.

"Jazz is the last refuge of the untalented. Jazz musicians enjoy themselves more than anyone listening to them does." - Tony Wilson

:peepwall:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
"Jazz is the last refuge of the untalented. Jazz musicians enjoy themselves more than anyone listening to them does." - Tony Wilson

I want to shake that man's hand.

ajb, why are you comparing "a good jazz musician" to "the average drummer of other genres"? Shouldn't you compare like with like?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I want to shake that man's hand.

ajb, why are you comparing "a good jazz musician" to "the average drummer of other genres"? Shouldn't you compare like with like?

Alright, I meant to say an average or typical jazz musician compared to the average/typical drummer of most other genres, especially popular genres.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

Well it has been said that Jazz is a musician's music. Pop is the lowest common denominator's music.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Well it has been said that Jazz is a musician's music. Pop is the lowest common denominator's music.

Jazz is fine, as long as it doesn't make you look down your nose at music that is just as valid. So, in your case, it's not fine.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually, the last refuge of the untalented is punk, honestly and truley.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Actually, the last refuge of the untalented is punk, honestly and truley.

That's the first refuge of people who aren't any good and don't care, but in a good way. :D Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols and London Calling are better than any jazz album of the last 30 years, that is for sure.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's the first refuge of people who aren't any good and don't care, but in a good way. :D Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols and London Calling are better than any jazz album of the last 30 years, that is for sure.

Well, first of all, jazz of the last thirty years has not be nearly as good as the jazz in the first forty years of the 20th century.

Secondly, those who don't care, still really suck, regardless of how little they care about the fact that they suck. In fact, that just makes me want to pull my hair out. What's worse than punk music, is the entire concept of punk aesthetic philosophy.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Well, first of all, jazz of the last thirty years has not be nearly as good as the jazz in the first forty years of the 20th century.

We agree on this, although much of the jazz I enjoy was recorded between 1945 and 1975.

Secondly, those who don't care, still really suck, regardless of how little they care about the fact that they suck. In fact, that just makes me want to pull my hair out. What's worse than punk music, is the entire concept of punk aesthetic philosophy.

I kind of like the punk aesthetic. I don't like the nihilism or the willful amateurishness, but I do enjoy the "Who really gives a fuck?" attitude and the whole "Let's get back to what rock n' roll used to be" aesthetic. The Ramones were much more reverent and relevant inheritors to artists like The Ventures and Phil Spector and Little Richard than were, say, Supertramp. I recently read MOJO's Punk: The Whole Story, and it was a fantastic read. Amazing photos, lots of interesting stories, just great stuff. The vast majority of punk bands the last 20 years have been moronic, but that doesn't diminish the brilliance of the musicians who came before them.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Who sucks? People who don't realise that liking or disliking music is entirely subjective :devil:

Some people like technical expertise, some artistic composition, some the style and delivery, some the rebellion, some the mainstream, some because their friends like it.. and so it goes on.

Fortunately, there is room for us to like our own things

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
i agree with the romeo and juliet hate. a couple meets, falls in love, gets married, fucks, one gets exiled and both eventually commit suicide for the other all in under a week. this is supposed to be the greatest love of all time and shakespeare's best work? please, that's insulting to all of us. if you want shakespeare, you can go read othello, hamlet and all his other stuff. romeo and juliet? victorian chickflick.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
i agree with the romeo and juliet hate. a couple meets, falls in love, gets married, fucks, one gets exiled and both eventually commit suicide for the other all in under a week. this is supposed to be the greatest love of all time and shakespeare's best work? please, that's insulting to all of us. if you want shakespeare, you can go read othello, hamlet and all his other stuff. romeo and juliet? victorian chickflick.
:huh: people think romeo & juliet is his best work?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Motaro
Andy Dick
Kevin Trudeau
Judge Judith Sheindlan
Leprosy
Coopers
Pope Urban VIII
God Rugal
Jim Jones
Michael Moore
Allen Iverson
Michael Vick
Peter Griffin
Mephistopheles / Lucifer Morningstar

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Motaro
Andy Dick
Kevin Trudeau
Judge Judith Sheindlan
Leprosy
Coopers
Pope Urban VIII
God Rugal
Jim Jones
Michael Moore
Allen Iverson
Michael Vick
Peter Griffin

Oh, come on now. Jim Jones? I know the critical tide has turned against him the last 30 years or so, but. . . :D

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3

well for one thing, it's hands down the most discussed. maybe not so amongst the shakespearean scolars, but amongst the general public? definitely.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Oh, come on now. Jim Jones? I know the critical tide has turned against him the last 30 years or so, but. . . :D

Ha - maybe I'll give him a reconsider.

After all, he had an unconventional way of protecting airport security.

well for one thing, it's hands down the most discussed. maybe not so amongst the shakespearean scolars, but amongst the general public? definitely.

Othello is much more flavorful.

As is Twelfth Night and The Tempest.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ

I don't think they think that. I think they think it's the best love story. Most people think his best work is one of Hamlet, "The Scottish Play" (superstition!), or King Lear. Unless you're T.S Eliot, and you think his best work is Coriolanus, for some reason.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

psst.. Shakespeare wasn't a Victorian

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
psst.. Shakespeare wasn't a Victorian

Heh. I'd recommend Bill Bryson's "Shakespeare" for a recently published short and sweet amusingly written biog. It points out in this that he wasn't a victorian, too.

Oh, and I'd say his best work is MacBeth. Maybe because I liked Terry Pratchett's take on it with Wyrd Sisters?

MBTI Type
INTJ
Motaro
Andy Dick
Kevin Trudeau
Judge Judith Sheindlan
Leprosy
Coopers
Pope Urban VIII
God Rugal
Jim Jones
Michael Moore
Allen Iverson
Michael Vick
Peter Griffin

Allen Iverson is tough as nails and wants to win more than anyone. That's good enough for me.