• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who sucks?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was going to make a new list of things that suck, but I found a way to sum them all up in one single entry:

Things that college kids like (drinking too much excepted).

That's like the first thing that should be put on the list.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Or, she just honestly is not impressed the inherent qualities of being high on marijuana.

Totally true... no thing is universally loved (I'm not talking about abstract qualities like 'love')... but I have found people who smoked shwag and said weed was lame, it made them dizzy for a minute and then they fell asleep.

My mom, on the other hand, who's a teetotaler... she told me about the one time she smoked weed as a young woman (in her early twenties)... she took a hit and then proceeded to have massive panic attacks and thought the world was collapsing... I mean, some people and weed just don't mix.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
How brave. I also like to wait until an opinion has been popular for ten years before I voice agreement. (Ann Coulter is awesome.)

Dude, I'm a liberal-conservative Republican who voted for Bush twice (I always vote with the Supreme Court in mind), and even I think Ann Coulter sucks.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Dude, I'm a liberal-conservative Republican who voted for Bush twice (I always vote with the Supreme Court in mind), and even I think Ann Coulter sucks.
It's not that I agree with her, it's that I find her extremely entertaining. Partly because of her boldness. Note: I do agree with her on approximately 2/3 of the issues on which I've heard her preach.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
me for thinking i was INFP
no offense , night

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Samuel Huntington and the Clash of Civilizations theory: all rhetoric and little justifiable substance. He's helping to create a clash of civilizations by asserting it into being.

His ideas are simplistic and his classifications arbitrary, but there's too much happening for me to completely dismiss him-but I guess that's a debate for another thread.

Edward Said and his Orientalism, on the other hand, sucks balls.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Ann Coulter is one of those people whose personality and presentation are so abrasive and obnoxious that even if you're inclined to be with her philosophically, you find you simply cannot support a position she supports.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
My mom, on the other hand, who's a teetotaler... she told me about the one time she smoked weed as a young woman (in her early twenties)... she took a hit and then proceeded to have massive panic attacks and thought the world was collapsing... I mean, some people and weed just don't mix.

Agreed, one shouldn't indulge when one has obsessive-compulsive disorder or some other anxiety disorder. Which sucks (to stay on topic), because two-thirds of the time it was an awsome experience.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Ann Coulter is one of those people whose personality and presentation are so abrasive and obnoxious that even if you're inclined to be with her philosophically, you find you simply cannot support a position she supports.
I honestly appreciate her personality. I would marry her in the blink of an eye. She's extremely logical, but the starting points for the conclusions she makes are based on her faith, and therefore unscientific. This amuses me to no end.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
big breasts-overrated
I have equal appreciation of gigantic boobs and extremely flat chests, yet average boobs are merely acceptable to me. I find this unusual. I must just have a taste for extremes.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have equal appreciation of gigantic boobs and extremely flat chests, yet average boobs are merely acceptable to me. I find this unusual. I must just have a taste for extremes.

looks at your Ne
heheheh

i'd say

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
If she's responsible for Western society than that's just another reason to dislike her work. She takes a thread of truth and then ruins it by wedding it to her absurd notions.

Kind of like Communism (or certain other political philosophies that people are sick of derailing threads with), except not nearly as dangerous when taken to extremes-her elitism limits its mass appeal,her individualism limits the cohesion of any potential movement, and she tempers Nietzsche's more unpleasant ideas with J. S. Mill safeguards.

Insomnia sucks.

MBTI Type
ENTP
His ideas are simplistic and his classifications arbitrary, but there's too much happening for me to completely dismiss him-but I guess that's a debate for another thread.

Edward Said and his Orientalism, on the other hand, sucks balls.

Said's Orientalism threw a light on the massive amount of stereotyping and false assumptions about types of people out there... in an academic setting... yet his books were intellectually available to all...

In fact, Said's Orientalism is one of the few works which set the stage for combating Huntington-style ignorance and unjustified reductionism.

____

Why do you think he and his work suck (balls)?

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Said's Orientalism threw a light on the massive amount of stereotyping and false assumptions about types of people out there... in an academic setting... yet his books were intellectually available to all...

In fact, Said's Orientalism is one of the few works which set the stage for combating Huntington-style ignorance and unjustified reductionism.

____

Why do you think he and his work suck (balls)?

Because he goes much too far in the opposite direction of Huntington. Basically, I believe in the superiority of certain political ideas and institutions (classical liberalism,representative democracy, freedom of speech, religion, equality under the law, etc.) and Said attempted to stigmitize (very successfully, unfortunately) anyone who objected to any aspect of "Eastern" cultures that conflicted with these ideas and institutions. To me, that's like somebody in Europe demonizing anyone who thinks algebra is a good thing because it was invented in the "East" (I actually forget whether it was Persaians or Arabs who first discovered it and when, but I suppose that's not the point). He denigrated the legitimacy of any outsider perspective pertaining to cultural, historical, and contemperary political studies, which I find somewhat hypocritical in someone who thought he could evaluate Western perspectives so thoroughly.

MBTI Type
ENTP
^

I don't think that was what he was going for... instead, he was countering a dominant trend in "Western" historical, anthropological, philosophical, and political disciplines of trying to fit every one who happened to be geopolitically Arab, Indian, and Chinese into a preconceived notion of what it meant to be from the Orient... which was not all the same thing as his trying to dislocate liberal political institutions, which he valued as much as most intellectuals of our day.

Indeed, you're doing exactly what he was complaining about... slotting "Eastern" culture into a certain mold and drawing big conclusions about what it means to be from this fabricated "Orient".

He also didn't denigrate all outsider perspectives... he denigrated outsider perspectives which came into an alien territory and attempted to fit data into a preconceived schema rather than actually observing what was on the ground and then drawing conclusions... in other words, he was advocating responsible inductive thinking over unrealistic instances of deductive thinking when applied to anthropology and related or overlapping disciplines.

Also, he's not the opposite of Huntington... it's not like he disavows the reality of culture or civilizational zeitgeists... he does, however, object to the traditional views which have ossified and held people's rational thinking about other societies in thrall for the past few centuries...
___

At the risk of sounding know-it-all, I don't think you understand Said at all.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
^

Indeed, you're doing exactly what he was complaining about... slotting "Eastern" culture into a certain mold and drawing big conclusions about what it means to be from this fabricated "Orient".

Perhaps you could explain how I am doing this? In the meantime, I'm going to try and get four hours of sleep.

Last edited:
MBTI Type
ENTP
Perhaps you could explain how I am doing this? In the meantime, I'm going to try and get four hours of sleep.

"Said attempted to stigmitize (very successfully, unfortunately) anyone who objected to any aspect of "Eastern" cultures that conflicted with these ideas and institutions."

There're entirely incorrect assumptions here regarding Said's thought...

Said wasn't defending Eastern culture, because he didn't believe there was such a thing as a definitive Eastern culture with a definitive political ideology and a definitive ethico-moral mindset. So for you to say that Said was reflexively complaining about people criticizing "Eastern" cultural ideologies that conflict with "Western" ones is to completely misunderstand his central point, that there was no single Eastern (or Oriental) culture. You do say "aspect of 'Eastern' culture', but the assumption here is that Said was simply acting as a champion of anything which happened to fall under that category (the category being imagined or otherwise).

What Said was really doing was countering the notion that there was a set of "Eastern" beliefs to oppose against "Western" ones, since he (and many others following him) have levied the charge against "Westernism" that all that is West is a piecemeal assemblage of all that was right with European culture, the great philosophers and scientific movements, with convenient omission of anything which went against the central thesis of Western culture. In addition, all that was excluded was heaped into the notion of the Orient, which served as the convenient foil, the Other, against which to define the Self/the West.

Said was very critical of many conservative tendencies that plagued his homeland, such as male chauvinism. He was not a blind lover of all things "Eastern". In fact, he was very much an Arabo-European intellectual who was announcing the obsolescence of an old "Occident-Orient" mode of political and anthropological thinking.