• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who sucks?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Well... I can kind of understand the interest in Nietzsche, and I know why people are often wowed by Guevara... But they epitomize being over-rated.

Those two also have something in common, actually. Both of them are represented everywhere by teenagers that don't actually know a damn thing about them.

You can probably guess what I thought of Che Guevara. I wish Hell were real for people like him.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You can probably guess what I thought of Che Guevara. I wish Hell were real for people like him.

Meh. Che Guevara. George Washington. Same to me for the most part. Men that killed for beliefs. I only think Washington is more impressive because he accomplished a whole lot more. :D

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Pearl Jam haven't done anything worthwhile since Vitalogy, a song or two per album excepted. And Eddie Vedder is a short douche with a stupid voice.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I agree most with Night's lists, so I'll copy and edit accordingly.

M. Night Shyamalan
The Euro
Adam Sandler
Tom Cruise / soapbox celebrities
Puff Daddy
Thomas Jefferson

English Tories
Republicans, most
MTV - especially The Real World
Mojito commercials
The Christian Coalition
Interpretive dance
Text Messages
Limerence
Millenialism
Fred Phelps
Nostradamus
Tyler Perry
Tucker Carlson (squeaky little shit...)
Dennis Leary
Jennifer Garner
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
The League of Nations
Perez Hilton

Interpretive dance makes me want to throttle somebody.
Limerence- Good fucking God. KILL yourself.
MTV headquarters should be evaporated and everyone associated with making programs forced to sit in a room with their eyelids taped open and watch looped tapes of their product till the last brain cell withers.
Denis Leary needs to go sit in a corner and attend to the large shitlog jammed up his rear end.
Perez Hilton assures me there's no hope for mankind. Why is he breathing???

Citizen Kane. A good movie, but the best ever? Not a chance.
THANK YOU!

Friedrich Nietzsche. "Che" Guevara. Ayn Rand.
I hate these people even less than I hate their sop-minded disciples, especially Nietzsche. The other 2 are a joke.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Which artists (with some modicum of critical acclaim) actually suck? Directors, authors, graphic artists, whatever? Who is completely overrated? Which creative emperors have no clothes?

First nominee, for Egregious Overratedness: My Bloody Valentine. Cool sounds, no songs to speak of, not a great example of the shoegazer aesthetic.

Artist:

Rob Liefield - he created Deadpool, et al, but his artwork is 2-dimensional and horrible. Lots of hatchety lines, all the faces look masculine including the women, he has no sense of proportion, and an ego to go with it. Liefield, you are a hack.

Band:

Good Charlotte -- (no!)

Evanescence -- (Double no!) Emo. Uncreative. The girl always sounds like she's about to suffer a strain injury.

The Jonas Brothers need to go away.

Smashmouth (retread city is your claim to fame)

Hootie and the Blowfish (the bane of my existence in the early 90s... everyone LOOOOVED Hootie and I only wanted to flee) Not all that enjoyable unless you're high or in a dead-end relationship.

Gin Blossoms - a band I hate more than Hootie. No edges, no depth. I feel like someone is throwing tapioca pudding on my brain. I will forever resent them for "Hey, Jealousy". It typified the 90s blase ironic-for-the-sake-of-irony "Empire Records" mentality.

Linkin Park - just w/e, Gen Y.

Authors:

I'm just going to say it. JK Rowling. I'm glad she made her books a success, more power to her, but I find her books dull and kind of stupid. I'm all about fantasy, I love Tolkien and CS Lewis, but Rowling just doesn't inspire me at all.

Norman Mailer - total pig. Not all that talented either, in my estimation.

Movies:

Gladiator. As much as I love Ridley Scott, that movie was truly not great, especially when compared to "Black Rain" and "Blade Runner".

I figured that with such a stellar cast the dialogue and actions would be way more compelling. I recall a review dissing Connie Neilson, and I thought "She was the only one in that movie not over-acting." I could even give Joaquin a pass on that, but everyone else? Ham. Ham. More ham. I enjoyed the scenery when it wasn't being chewed. Zero subtlety. I accuse Russell Crowe over over-acting frequently, though I liked him a lot in "L.A. Confidential" and "Master and Commander". I was expecting his amazing physical presence to really gel with a character like Maximus, but I found myself wishing the character would die because he's so pedantic and "ME!"

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
EDIT: Gladiator is one of the worst Best Picture Oscar winners in history. And I like Ridley Scott.

LOL!! I didn't read any of the posts so I could vent without being influenced, and here you are in my mind! :D

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
LOL!! I didn't read any of the posts so I could vent without being influenced, and here you are in my mind! :D

Great minds hate alike.

OK, here is a group I enjoy personally, but who have a cult around them that is completely disproportionate to their music: Belle & Sebastian.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I like B&S but I don't get the hype, either. They're just nice pop music. They don't suck, though.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I like B&S but I don't get the hype, either. They're just nice pop music. They don't suck, though.

No, they don't. Their fans often do, though. There are many artists for whom their rabid fans are way worse than they are. Chuck Palahniuk, for instance. He's written some good stuff, but his fanboys and fangirls are some of the most annoying people in my age group. You don't count as a "literature fan" if all you read is Palahniuk and Vonnegut.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
While I love college radio, it will make a god out of anything improbable. It's the ironic bliss stage of early 20 somethings with a student debt load and a dorm shower.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I will never understand the allure of "My Humps".

MBTI Type
INTJ
Mentions from other people that I wish I'd thought of first:

Sufjan Stevens
Dashboard Confessional
(Nobody else mentioned him, but as long as we're talking about precious music, I'm gonna go ahead and throw Jack Johnson on the fire, too)
The Colbert Report
The Wizard of Oz
Tyler Perry

I wish to defend the honor of:

Moulin Rouge
Dick Vitale
Citizen Kane
Lewis Black
SNL (Everyone always says "It's not as good as 'X' season", but nobody agrees on what 'X' is. So what it really means is that every season has its detractors and defenders. I think attitudes toward SNL are fascinating and worthy of a thread on their own.)

I love something pure_merc said too...there is a whole different category for people who are okay on their own merit but whose insane fans make you hate them. That could be a thread, too.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I forgot one: Ayn Rand.

She AND her fans can suck it.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mentions from other people that I wish I'd thought of first:

Sufjan Stevens
Dashboard Confessional
(Nobody else mentioned him, but as long as we're talking about precious music, I'm gonna go ahead and throw Jack Johnson on the fire, too)
The Colbert Report
The Wizard of Oz
Tyler Perry

I saw Sufjan Stevens on Austin City Limits, and it was ridiculous. Like another rehash of the Polyphonic Spree.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Lewis Black sucks donkeys nuts and I wonder how much he pays Comedy Central to keep showing up.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I forgot one: Ayn Rand.

She AND her fans can suck it.

Already got your back on that one, Ivy. :D

Lewis Black sucks donkeys nuts and I wonder how much he pays Comedy Central to keep showing up.

I'm actually capable of recognizing that someone I dislike might still be popular and wanted. It surprises me how many people aren't.