• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who sucks?

MBTI Type
ENTP
Do we really mean "sucks" or who is overrated? I see lots of people qualifying their criticisms. To me, sucks=no redeeming qualities.

Any baby-voiced girl singer that plays piano or guitar.
yes.

The last 20 years of George Carlin's life
I don't like stand-up comics who seem to completely rely on angry politics for their jokes. That seemed to be George Carlin's gimmick towards the end. I also think Al Franken and Janeane Garafolo and Lewis Black suck for the same reason.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Do we really mean "sucks" or who is overrated? I see lots of people qualifying their criticisms. To me, sucks=no redeeming qualities.

If their critical acclaim is WAY out of whack to their talent, they count. But, as before, the people who have no talent at all should be left out. There should be some controversy and argument going on.

EDIT: I'll add "popularity" along with "critical acclaim." Like Black Eyed Peas, for instance. 8-10 years ago, they were a decent party-rap/positive hip-hop crew. Now, they are a pestilence on American society.

MBTI Type
ENTP
How brave. I also like to wait until an opinion has been popular for ten years before I voice agreement. (Ann Coulter is awesome.)

Ten years ago I didn't give a shit about these people. I independently discovered that they suck. Forgive me for not being as scintillatingly original as you. As for Ann Coulter and Pat Buchanan, they would've been Nazi sympathizers in the 40's.

Anyway... some more:

Wizard of Oz: I can't stand this flick... it's kitsch and the acting's terrible.

Sound of Music: Another film which is so saccharine it makes me want to puke every time I see it.

New Age: this is a broader indictment of the movement of which chopra and rajneesh are a part... it sucks, there's nothing deeply original about it, except for the fact that they take perfectly good philosophies and make them even more bound up with superstition and meaningless fluff. This includes Theosophy.

Dana Carvey films post-Wayne's World: did anyone see Master of Disguise?

Samuel Huntington and the Clash of Civilizations theory: all rhetoric and little justifiable substance. He's helping to create a clash of civilizations by asserting it into being.

Wendy Doniger and her students: the worst cases of sensationalist writing about India... it's all the worse because she's a Harvard professor with great command over Sanskrit. Kripal, a student, doesn't follow any of the rules of academia when writing.

SNL: it's not been funny since the early nineties... I tried watching it in the early knots (2000's) and hardly cracked a smile once in several hours. Maybe it's just me... but I've heard this from other people too...

Same goes for Mad TV... just not funny...

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Here are a few more...

Perez Hilton
Emo subculture
Donald Trump
The FARC
Martha Stewart
Andrew Jackson
Staind
Dick Vitale

Jennifer Garner
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
The League of Nations
Bobby Fischer
Svetlana Khorkina
Wolverine
Bobby Knight
Bela Lugosi

MBTI Type
ENTP
I wouldn't knock it until you've seen Takahata's best films (Only Yesterday, Grave of The Fireflies).

The rest I can take or leave (usually leave).

I enjoyed films like "Spirited Away" and "Fist of the North Star"... obviously "Akira"... and then there's Hentai...

ooooooooooooooooohhhhhh.... I got a big one.

Bollywood Hindi films: aside from the occasional exception, Bollywood films are extremely poorly-acted, wretchedly scripted, badly edited, loooooooooooooooooooooong, and unoriginal. The only thing that somewhat redeems them are some of the songs, though the music videos are more often than not quite callow and most of the songs are quite forgettable (as with pop music everywhere). I can't stand the fact that India's so strongly associated with Bollywood... it makes me sick... (I already ranted about this in a post several months ago... I think pure_mercury remembers... no one responded because I think I rambled on and on about how deplorable Indian films have been since Bengali directors like Satyajit Ray and a few others).

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Here are a few more...

Perez Hilton
Emo subculture
Donald Trump
The FARC
Martha Stewart
Andrew Jackson
Staind
Jennifer Garner
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
The League of Nations
Bobby Fischer
Svetlana Khorkina
Wolverine
Bobby Knight
Bela Lugosi

That's a great list.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Here are a few more...

Perez Hilton
Emo subculture
Donald Trump
The FARC
Martha Stewart
Andrew Jackson
Staind
Dick Vitale

Jennifer Garner
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
The League of Nations
Bobby Fischer
Svetlana Khorkina
Wolverine
Bobby Knight
Bela Lugosi

Of all of these, "The League of Nations" is the most wonderfully unusual choice for suck.

Why Bobby Fischer? Since he disappeared?

I haven't seen Fist of the North Star. It looks a bit shit.

:)

Meh... it was my first anime film and maybe I'm remembering it more fondly than it ought to be... but the key is I enjoyed it. : )

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Bollywood Hindi films

Guilty pleasure.

And some are hilariously bad. What's the one where the muscley chap dies, so his girlfriend moves away only to find someone who looks exactly the same. That film goes through like six different genres. The martial arts at the end had me rolling about on the floor.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Of all of these, "The League of Nations" is the most wonderfully unusual choice for suck.

Why Bobby Fischer? Since he disappeared?

Bobby Fischer threw away his talent (and he was the most talented chess player of all time (except for possibly Capablanca or Mir Sultan Khan; how's THAT for Indian culture, SDM?). He also let his personal demons turn him into an anti-Semitic, terrorist-supporting, misanthropist asshole.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Guilty pleasure.

And some are hilariously bad. What's the one where the muscley chap dies, so his girlfriend moves away only to find someone who looks exactly the same. That film goes through like six different genres. The martial arts at the end had me rolling about on the floor.

"Kaho Na Pyaar Hai" ("Don't speak, It's Love")... with Hrithik Roshan and Amisha Patel.

heh heh! the muscley chap...

the one standout moment in that film was Hrithik Roshan's dancing in the song "Ek Pal Ka Jeena", when Amisha goes abroad and sees the doppelganger... unbelievably great dancer...

YouTube - Kaho Na Pyaar Hai - Ek Pal Ka Jeena

But I still get that "embarrassed" feeling when I hear the lame opening and see some lamer people dancing around Hrithik.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Bobby Fischer threw away his talent (and he was the most talented chess player of all time (except for possibly Capablanca or Mir Sultan Khan; how's THAT for Indian culture, SDM?). He also let his personal demons turn him into an anti-Semitic, terrorist-supporting, misanthropist asshole.

Very well said.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
"Kaho Na Pyaar Hai" ("Don't speak, It's Love")... with Hrithik Roshan and Amisha Patel.

heh heh! the muscley chap...

the one standout moment in that film was Hrithik Roshan's dancing in the song "Ek Pal Ka Jeena", when Amisha goes abroad and sees the doppelganger... unbelievably great dancer...

YouTube - Kaho Na Pyaar Hai - Ek Pal Ka Jeena

But I still get that "embarrassed" feeling when I hear the lame opening and see some lamer people dancing around Hrithik.

It's all a bit too '90s homo-erotica, for me. I liked the bit on the beach. Some good shots there, too.

MBTI Type
ENTP

Very well said.

I didn't know about all the anti-semitism and terrorist leaning... haven't ever read much about him.

As for your grasp of Indian culture, I'm very impressed. :nerd:

It's all a bit too '90s homo-erotica, for me. I liked the bit on the beach. Some good shots there, too.

yes... I rewatched it and was like, gah... but Hrithik Roshan's still one of the best dancers I've ever seen. You see him through the years... what he did in "Dhoom" with Aishwarya was great...

but once again, I'm not vouching for the quality of the films, or even the tastefulness of the dance numbers... more often than not they're cringeworthy... hence my nomination of Bollywood as suckiest thing ever.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Friedrich Nietzsche. "Che" Guevara. Ayn Rand.

Deontological ethics.

Oh... Might as well throw in all of post-modernism.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Friedrich Nietzsche. "Che" Guevara. Ayn Rand.

Deontological ethics.

Oh... Might as well throw in all of post-modernism.

Yeah, those people aren't that great, either. Nietzsche made me laugh a bit. Rand wrote like two-and-a-half good books, and she was a raging bitch.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well... I can kind of understand the interest in Nietzsche, and I know why people are often wowed by Guevara... But they epitomize being over-rated.

Those two also have something in common, actually. Both of them are represented everywhere by teenagers that don't actually know a damn thing about them.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Commas. Stop teasing me with your complex ways, you vagarious minxes.