• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tropic Thunder controversies

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
So, in the new Ben Stiller-directed film Tropic Thunder, we have Ben Stiller playing a (just regular-stupid) actor character who is most famous for playing a retarded farmer called "Simple Jack," and we have Robert Downey, Jr. playing a white Australian actor who has his skin surgically darkened to play a black soldier character (basically, Downey is in blackface). Has anyone else been following the controversies with this? Actually, Downey's character has gotten way less attention; the use of the word "retard" in regards to the Simple Jack character has been the main point of contention, and there are some calls for boycott by advocates for the mentally disabled. Any thoughts? I am going out to see the film tonight, and I will follow up on this;

NOTE: I really enjoy offensive, transgressive comedy. Something would have to be incredibly unfunny (as well as offensive) for me not to laugh and be upset about it.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't get why such a big deal is being made. There have been plenty of movies that make fun of retards. And the white guy playing a black guy has been done.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I don't really see the "retard" stuff as aimed actual mentally disabled people, As various other have said, it seemed more aimed at how characters in movies are shown than actual people.

The White guy playing a black guy didn't personally offend me, but I could see how someone might get offended at that.

The Alpa Chino character actually seemed the most possibly offensive character to me, since its such an obvious stereotype. Some of the movie southeast Asians also seemed like they could offend somebody.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Idiots make a fuss about this because it gets press coverage; the press covers idiots like this because it makes a splash.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I don't get why such a big deal is being made. There have been plenty of movies that make fun of retards. And the white guy playing a black guy has been done.

He's actually a white person IRL playing a white actor playing a black guy, if you didn't get that part.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
People who are offended by movies, unless it's something really egregious like shooting a naked woman in the face, are retarded.

That sort of thing doesn't bother me as much as knowing that the movie is based on real events. Documentaries and docudramas of actual horrific events in history tend to pull at my heartstrings more. I have been pretty well desensitized to non-torture onscreen violence. You know what ALWAYS gets audiences outraged, though? Violence toward animals.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
I never get these controversies....unless the movie is doing something like saying "Everyone should go kill *insert group here*" or something like that, who cares? If you don't like it, don't see it and shut up.

Then again, being ISTP, I'm pretty much unoffendable when it comes to this type of thing.

As for this specific controversy, I don't see the point, people use retard all the time anyway, so that battle has been lost a long time ago.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I just saw the movie. My personal philosophy is that all's fair in comedy. If you don't like stuff being made fun of, you can save yourself the $8.

I thought the "retard" stuff was obviously more of a statement about the kinds of clueless actors that Ben Stiller and Robert Downey, Jr. were playing. I thought it was hilarious.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I haven't seen it, but I've read a lot about the situation here.
I think the controvery is wrong. People are totally missing the point. Ever single thing I've about the movie, from what the makers had to say, to excerpts from the film, show that the movie is making of the entertainment industry. It's not aimed at the people that are taking offense. The concept, by some ways of looking at it, is on their side! It's mocking the way Holywood uses Black people, and the mentally disabled, etc...

Again, I haven't seen it. It might be a shitty movie. The jokes might not work, or maybe you're just not impressed with its brand humor. All of that is fair enough. But I hate it when people so badly miss the point.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
It looks really, really funny and I want to see it. Hope they play it at the dollar theater here.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
When I saw it I had no idea Les Grossman (the aggressive, cursing producer) was Tom Cruise. That's awesome.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I saw it yesterday. Hilarious. I also saw the protesters on Friday. I hadn't read anything about it at the time. I must say, protesting that scene (which was not about retarded people, it was about your awards chances decreasing when you go full on retard) was a pretty retarded thing in itself. Anyway, very, very funny and worth seeing.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It was hilarious. The "retard" portrayal, to me, is really about portraying a stereotype and mocking that stereotype. It's kind of insensitive, but a protest is kind of a lame way of addressing it. They should just write letters to Ben Stiller explaining what he's doing and laying it out in a logical manner. My 2 cents.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
When I saw it I had no idea Les Grossman (the aggressive, cursing producer) was Tom Cruise. That's awesome.

You didn't recognize the voice? (I didn't fully realize it was Tom Cruise either, but i did recognize the voice, and was asking myself "Is that Tom Cruise they have playing this guy?")

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I didn't recognise the voice. I was laughing too hard. I loved his character. Oh! The dancing! I was repulsed but so transfixed!

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm currently reading the VFXWorld article on the film. I'm deeply offended by some of the dodgy effects work.