• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lyrics, Sound/Melody/Harmony/Beat, Voice, Message/Meaning

Which?

• Total voters

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am initially drawn into the sound/beats/texture, voice is in the same category, it's just another instrument. Just those things in themselves can imply a message and lyric.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I tend to hate singers who have "good" voices and prefer ones that have "bad" voices. In other words, I hate American Idol look how-high-a-note I can hit crap. Just because you can hit a note, doesn't mean you should.

I like people with weird scratchy voices or lispy voices, etc.

Sound/melody/harmony/beat is probably most important, with lyrics coming in second.

Meaning is tricky, because the meaning of a song often shifts over time for me. It's not a constant. A really good song, like a really good movie, lets me bring my own thing to it, and brings out whatever's in my psyche. They're like buckets at a wishing well, dangling on the end of a rope.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I tend to hate singers who have "good" voices and prefer ones that have "bad" voices. In other words, I hate American Idol look how-high-a-note I can hit crap. Just because you can hit a note, doesn't mean you should.

Sound/melody/harmony/beat is probably most important, with lyrics coming in second.

Meaning is tricky, because the meaning of a song often shifts over time for me. It's not a constant. A really good song, like a really good movie, lets me bring my own thing to it, and brings out whatever's in my psyche. They're like buckets at a wishing well, dangling on the end of a rope.
Gonna take a wild guess and say your favorite band is Modest Mouse.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Gonna take a wild guess and say your favorite band is Modest Mouse.

uhhh... I like them a lot, except for that last album. I haven't been too impressed with what I heard from the new album, either. It sounds like they're trying to jump on the 80's nostalgia bandwagon, unfortunately. Several personal changes might also be responsible. If anyone has any idea on whose departure made their sound a lot less interesting, let me know!

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Put me in with the sound/melody camp. I'll listen to music in any language as long as it sounds good to me. For instance, I'm not a fan of Korean, but this girl's voice is amazing to me:

Add in the great piano playing and I'm fall in love.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Nicodemus

There are songs I love for their lyrics, but there are also all-time favorites about whose lyrics I really do not care. Sound/Melody/Harmony/Beat, however, are always important.