• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Daredevil (tv 2015)

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ i think they are planning on making ben urich's editor (white dude) his replacement. After ben was killed and fisk got captured he must be feeling really guilty. And the way they showed him a few times afterwards makes me think he'd be ben's replacement (would take ben's role of investigative journalist). I miss him though. The only black dude in the show and he seemed like a good actor.

It's sad fisk's pal died but i think a big kill like that is good for the show.

So far fisk has been a todler compared to him. Lets see how he develops as a leader without him.

I think gao was much better.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
^yeah, I do see the validity in killing off Wesley. I wonder if Vanessa will sort of fill the role. In some ways, she seems more cunning and deviant than Fisk, plus she could totally manipulate him. I wonder if she will. I agree about Ben. I loved him as a character. Maybe they will develop Claire a bit more. With her being played by the likes of Rosario Dawson I can't see them dropping her. I think she'll be back.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't remember if I mentioned it here in a spoiler, but I really didn't think it was a great move to kill Urich for various reasons. (Wesley, I could understand.) It removed yet another strong non-white person from the cast, as well as one of the best actors; his story seemed like it had a lot of play left in it; he's a long running character in the Marvel world, not just a character made up as expendable; we learned nothing new or useful about Fisk, we already knew he was capable of killing people out of mindless anger with his bare hands. It just seemed a rather pointless attempt to create fake drama.

To many of the non-white cast have kind of faded off, including Gao and Claire Temple. I think Claire's character is known to service (as a nurse) a number of folks. I've heard that both Gao and Claire might show up in the other series.

TreeBob

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just my thoughts. I think the reason they portrayed Fisk like they did, was intentional. I think they are showing that he isn't/wasn't evil to begin. He has severe psychological issues due to his childhood and I think he legitimately does want to make Hell's Kitchen a better place. I noticed they never referred to him as Kingpin yet. As the season progressed, Fisk became more and more evil, coinciding with his growing relationship with Vanessa. Anyway, I figure his time in jail, along with his hatred for Daredevil will make him the more focused "Kingpin". They have diverged from the comics from the get-go, so anything is possible.

Also, on a side topic, there is conjecture on the net that Madame Gao is actually Crane Mother. This make a lot of sense because of the symbol on her heroine and the fact that Crane Mother has a large tie-in to the upcoming character Iron Fist who is from the same realm.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
^[MENTION]TreeBob[/MENTION], good point about Gao. She did say that she was from much farther away than China. Immediately I thought of Iron Fist. I'm glad you brought that up.

Mane

Permabanned
Finished it yesterday, and I absolutely love what they did with the Kingpin.

Does anyone know what Fisk's big plan for the city is?
Using the Yakuza's contracts to destroy and rebuild Hell's Kitchen from the ground up all while pitting the major crime organizations to destroy each other. Frankly, not a bad plan at all. Whats more efficient: Trying to see how many criminals you can catch, or taking over all of them and getting them to do less crime? From a utilitarian perspective I think we should all be routing for the Kingpin.

And why is he head over heels attracted to that woman? She looks beautiful but for him to be that attracted to him doesn't make any sense. Perhaps it's an infatuation he is trying to hold on to.
Because she has the right mindset to seek the hidden beauty in everything, allowing her to "get him".

Also, I found the contrast interesting - Fisk's inability to pray vs. Murdock religious nature, but I am not sure how much to make of that.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Finished it yesterday, and I absolutely love what they did with the Kingpin.

Using the Yakuza's contracts to destroy and rebuild Hell's Kitchen from the ground up all while pitting the major crime organizations to destroy each other. Frankly, not a bad plan at all. Whats more efficient: Trying to see how many criminals you can catch, or taking over all of them and getting them to do less crime? From a utilitarian perspective I think we should all be routing for the Kingpin.

Because she has the right mindset to seek the hidden beauty in everything, allowing her to "get him".

Also, I found the contrast interesting - Fisk's inability to pray and vs. Murdock religious nature, but I am not sure how much to make of that.

Well is he planning on stopping crime in his city after all the crime organizations are dismantled or is he going to take their place? If it's the latter it's useful and he isn't saving the city. So let's assume it's the first. There is a problem though if it is the first because he seems to be trying to scratch his nose by maneuvering his hand behind his neck rather than just scratching it.

Perhaps he sees that he'd make too much enemies if he starts killing them all and that he'd be hunted for the rest of his life by those crime gangs.

Anyway, you are right that he is trying to do a bit of good there. However, he still is hurting more people than he is helping and he should know that the route he is taking would eventually force him to be worst than he is or to become those gangs he is destroying.

Also, he is a really stupid guy. Yes he built a criminal empire but considering how he went about his business dealings it's quite hard to imagine how he did it. His assistant seems rather clever though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yes, why is anyone attractive to anyone? Some of it's instinct, there is no "explanation." But she also responds to him and "gets" him, as you said, and that was the factor that solidified his interest in her.

My question was more what makes HIM attractive to HER? It said something that she was not scared off and sees something of value in him, despite the things he's done. Interesting.

Also, I found the contrast interesting - Fisk's inability to pray vs. Murdock religious nature, but I am not sure how much to make of that.

well, the Catholic theme has been big in the comic, on and off.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Forgot to mention this -

Foggy is a perfect example of how a man's personality and humour could attract a woman irrespective of his looks.

When he wad first hitting on deborah it felt like she was out of his league looks wise. However, his humour, personality and charm eventually started catching on and i wouldnt be surprised if deborah is attracted to him. I think she is but the circumstances are preventing her from falling emotionally for him.

Not only her, even i (the viewer) started to find him very attractive. Of course i cant speak for everyone.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Forgot to mention this -

Foggy is a perfect example of how a man's personality and humour could attract a woman irrespective of his looks.

When he wad first hitting on deborah it felt like she was out of his league looks wise. However, his humour, personality and charm eventually started catching on and i wouldnt be surprised if deborah is attracted to him. I think she is but the circumstances are preventing her from falling emotionally for him.

Not only her, even i (the viewer) started to find him very attractive. Of course i cant speak for everyone.

He's kind of attractive in his way. His main issue is that he's a little too sensitive, and it would drive me a little crazy after awhile... he can't deal with negativity well, and feels the need to keep things upbeat, and can be a bit moralistic, and tends to like to be the center of attention, which can get old.

I hope Matt and he don't break up. :devil:

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ i would like to see the actress who played jon snow's gf in game of thrones as electra.

She had that angry sexiness.

I don't know much about the character though. I watched the movie and it sucked ass.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ i would like to see the actress who played jon snow's gf in game of thrones as electra.

She had that angry sexiness.

I don't know much about the character though. I watched the movie and it sucked ass.

The character herself is great, and her original bit in Daredevil one of the most-famed Marvel arcs.
I never watched the movie (Daredevil OR Elektra).
They were supposedly terrible.

Elektra is Greek, though... not Irish. So they were testing women with the right appearance.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The character herself is great, and her original bit in Daredevil one of the most-famed Marvel arcs.
I never watched the movie (Daredevil OR Elektra).
They were supposedly terrible.

Elektra is Greek, though... not Irish. So they were testing women with the right appearance.

Oh yeah. So i guess we wont be seeing her then.

I didnt know it was such a hit. The movie did a great job fucking things up. But then again i am used to seeing that happen when i watched tmnt. I don't think the original series would ever be honoured with a respectable movie.

May i know what comic or marvel series you liked the most? I've heard batman and that prison book was nice.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Pardon me while I ramble about all the things I like about this show so far.

1) There's so much about Matt Murdock's character that could have been horrendously corny, and yet was portrayed well. His Catholicism, for one, and how it relates to his ideals. They gave him, and other characters, a lot of ham-fisted and cliched dialogue, but it fit both genres (noir and superhero comic), so it felt natural.

2) Foggy Nelson. Everything about him. The flashback sequences, the way he's written, the actor who plays him. He really is the heart of the show.

3) Murdock is one of the best enneagram 1 examples I've seen on TV, and one of the enneagram 1 examples that I most relate to. Charlie Cox's performance has been criticized in a couple of places (including Pop Culture Happy Hour on NPR) as wooden and uninteresting, but firstly, he was withdrawn and serious in the comics, and secondly, I saw a lot of subtle 1-like things go by throughout the season. Barely noticeable. Like very small expressions of rage that he immediately backpedals from -- which is something that I've been told that I do as well. His relationship with the Catholic Church, as a 1, is also something that is portrayed well, especially considering some of the truly shitty stereotypes of type 1 as it relates to religion.

4) I didn't love Vincent D'Onofrio as Fisk, initially -- the halting speech and mostly-uniform delivery was my biggest issue -- but the performance grew on me. Lots of little subtle things, like Charlie Cox's performance. And obviously the backstory episode, the thing with the painting, the very last shot of his character in the final episode... </3 So much to love. I think he's the best MCU villain so far.

5) Daredevil and Kingpin, in this season, reminded me less of Batman and the Joker from "The Dark Knight", and more of Raylan Givens and Boyd Crowder from "Justified". Which is high, high praise, if you've ever seen that show.

6) The action sequences! The fight choreography! That one-shot fight scene in the hallway!

7) I have zero objections to all the times we got to see Charlie Cox shirtless.

&c.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The scary part for me was how much Foggy reminded me of former member Oberon, IRL (off-site personality). They could have been brothers.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess no one talked about Season 2 in here. Season 2 was okay, though not really as great as Season 1. I didn't really care for Elektra a ton.

Season 3 just came out.

The first three episodes were pretty slow and kind of aimless. Also lots of speechifying by Kingpin.

EJCC said it got better if you keep going, so I did ... and episodes 4 & 5 were much better in quality and direction. They finally also really started adding some plot action, so things are happening.

So basically they returned to the Kingpin as a de facto villain (after Season 2 was focused on Elektra and the Hand, along with The Punisher, if I recall), and they tossed in their version of Bullseye as well as Sister Maggie. So if you know the comics, you'll resonate with some of that. The Bullseye stuff is improving, you can see how he's destabilizing to kind of run off the rails (I presume) later in the season.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I will hold on my thoughts til [MENTION=7]Totenkindly[/MENTION] is done. :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I will hold on my thoughts til [MENTION=7]Totenkindly[/MENTION] is done. :D

I just blew through two more episodes (so I finished "AFtermath," episode 7). Definitely much much better once Episode 4 kicked into gear. Still occasionally has moments of "meh" dialogue or hokey minor plot points, but with the action picked up and self-generating, it carries itself. the fight sequences are pretty great, I really liked the DD / Bullseye first square-off. This is definitely how it would have gone, I'm glad they did that right.

I was laughing when

Unfortunately I can't watch more, I have to WRITE. Sigh.... no idea what to write.