• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Spiderman's Future in Cinema

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, since it looks likely that Garfield is now out of a job, with Marvel and Sony finally coming to terms on shared use of the character (and due to AS2 not quite meeting the expected return bar + a few plausible faux pas by Garfield when dealing with Sony)....

... here's now some discussion on where Marvel might take the movie Spiderman from here.

Top Ten Casting Picks To Play The New Spider-Man - Forbes
Enough Peter Parker: the Marvel Cinematic Universe doesn'''t need another white Spider-Man | The Verge

There's quite a bit of clamour for a non-caucasian Spidey and I'm keen on that, honestly.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think Donald Glover would be awesome! He's got that whole "boyish, nerdy charm" vibe that I think is really the heart of Spidey.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Kinda annoyed they got rid of Garfield and that they're rebooting so soon -.- I saw it coming though. I would love a non-caucasian spidey as well actually. And whilst I can see Donald Glover in the role I'm not sure about his acting since all I've seen him in was Community. Isn't he like really focusing on his music now or something though? I love Miles Teller but I'm trying to envision him as a Peter Parker and it's not working so great, but tbh I reckon he could pull off anything. Loving the idea of Tyler James Williams though, and I wouldn't mind Logan Lerman/Dylan O'Brien since they're such cuties (and decent actors too of course). No Tyler Posey, no. Don't see Josh Hutcherson either although he's a good actor. :unsure:

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Can we have a Hispanic Spidey? Perhaps Mexican? I just want to hear him harassing his villains with a thick Chicano accent! :D

But seriously, I'm heart broken over Andrew Garfield getting the boot.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I honestly did not like either spiderman.. I DID like the newer one better than the first guy, but neither I thought truly captured the charm of spiderman at all.

I think glover would be good at it. I like the idea of Miles being a spiderman in future sequences, even though it doesn't really have a platform movie-wise right now.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think Donald Glover would be awesome! He's got that whole "boyish, nerdy charm" vibe that I think is really the heart of Spidey.

fuck that, I want Danny Glover just so I can hear Spiderman bitch about he's getting too old for this shit.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Can we have a Hispanic Spidey? Perhaps Mexican? I just want to hear him harassing his villains with a thick Chicano accent! :D
This could actually happen.

Miles Morales, who is Spider-Man in the Ultimate comics, happens to be half-Hispanic.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I was SO excited for the first Raimi/Maguire Spider-Man movie, and I loved it.

Now, I hear of plans for a new one, and I'm like, "Spider-Man? That fucking guy? STILL?" Let people sit for ten minutes and start to want something again, Jesus.

Before long, we're going to have a superhero movie that reboots itself in the third act.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry. My closet idealism sometimes oozes out and infects my brain.

(In actuality, both the last two Peter Parkers WERE representative of the comic Parker, just different facets; and they weren't necessary heartthrobs, they were acclaimed actors in their prior movies.)

Nicodemus

Sorry. My closet idealism sometimes oozes out and infects my brain.
You should get that looked at.

(In actuality, both the last two Peter Parkers WERE representative of the comic Parker, just different facets; and they weren't necessary heartthrobs, they were acclaimed actors in their prior movies.)
I am not sure there was ever a time in which Tobey Maguire was considered an acclaimed actor. Both are not exactly heartthrobs; I give you that, although Eduardo Saverin was really attractive in The Social Network. But posing that they choose teenage heartthrobs instead of a 'daring new direction' now does not mean I thought they had either in the earlier movies. I think the first movies worked in spite of Maguire, and the last one more due to it being a Spider-Man movie than because Garfield brought a particularly large fanbase with him.

I suspect the one and only reason there will be another new Spider-Man is that the studio(s) want to make more money. So they do it the safe way.

If am not mistaken, the MTV series has earned Dylan O'Brien a fair amount of gay fans. He could turn that movie into an underground mainstream hit if the suit is tight enough.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You should get that looked at.

I'll need a shopvac and a mop with replaceable heads.

I am not sure there was ever a time in which Tobey Maguire was considered an acclaimed actor. Both are not exactly heartthrobs; I give you that, although Eduardo Saverin was really attractive in The Social Network. But posing that they choose teenage heartthrobs instead of a 'daring new direction' now does not mean I thought they had either in the earlier movies. I think the first movies worked in spite of Maguire, and the last one more due to it being a Spider-Man movie than because Garfield brought a particularly large fanbase with him.

Well, I think I meant the word "acclaimed" compared to the actual "heartthrob" actors in their generation. They did some decent actual acting work in non-mainsteam movies. To me, a heatthrob is an actor with a fan base but who is only in big splashy movies and can't act worth shit, he's coasting mostly on his pretty face and hunk appeal.

I suspect the one and only reason there will be another new Spider-Man is that the studio(s) want to make more money. So they do it the safe way.

Yes. AS2 did make money -- just not nearly as much money as they THOUGHT they should be making. (And I mainly blame the studio for dicking around with the script incessantly and trying to build a franchise without establishing a foundation first. Putting the cart before the horse. That only works if you've got rockets on the cart, and the horse will still be pissed off.)

If am not mistaken, the MTV series has earned Dylan O'Brien a fair amount of gay fans. He could turn that movie into an underground mainstream hit if the suit is tight enough.

I'm not even sure who he is. I just took a look and thought, "Oh, how boring and predictable."

... still... these kinds of discussions all came up when there was discussion of having a female Doctor Who, and they settled on Capaldi, an old white guy. I am not a Who fan and don't watch the show, but actually I've heard the season has been pretty spectacular and he's reinvented the doctor a bit, so despite casting conventionally perhaps it was an okay turn after all. I don't necessarily want to write everything off just based on casting.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
A man like spider-man is too good for Hollywood. He should enlist in red cross and give up cinema before he ends up on the streets with a cigar loaded with cocaine, a briefcase with overdue tax money, and a long list of medical bills from all the random one night stands on the streets of LA.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Peter Parker Out In Spider-Man Reboot, Film To Feature Black Actor--Report

...The Wrap’s Jeff Sneider recently commented on the future of the reboot and Peter Parker’s involvement in the movie. During his appearance as host on the Meet the Movie Press podcast, Sneider claimed he is 95 percent certain that “Spider-Man is not going to be white.” When asked by fellow host Mark Reilly from Schmoesknow.com on what he thinks the ethnicity of the character will be, Sneider replied, “Spider-Man is going to be most likely black. But there is a chance he could also be Latino.”

...Sneider said the leaked emails from Amy Pascal were perceived as “racist in some quarters” and thought “that’s going to play into things” in casting a black Spider-Man in the reboot....

...Sneider claimed Marvel and Sony’s decision to cast a black Spider-Man in the reboot is not “set in stone” yet. However, per Slashfilm, Sneider is credible enough in providing details about the upcoming franchise. He has reportedly so far in the past provided accurate movie information....

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Drew Goddard* is now on Spiderman.
Shorter release times means lower budget, quicker stories (versus huge money sinks that flop?)

Very minor spoilers in the article that might not be spoilers after Thursday.

'Spider-Man' Can Offer What Marvel Is Lacking - Forbes

*Directed (and did writing work) on "The Cabin in the Woods"
Did production and writing work on Lost.
Wrote for Daredevil, World War Z, Cloverfield, Alias, Angel, Buffy
Drew Goddard - IMDb