• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Better Call Saul (spoilers)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
AITA for not having much sympathy for Howard's wife?

I mean, I think Kim just had to do what she did so she could live with herself, but as far as what happened in that episode, I just recalled that Howard (despite his faults) tried to remain classy and considerate with his wife while she just callously dumped his cappuccino efforts into a travel mug and seemed to dig needlessly at him about living in the guest bedroom.

So when she is suddenly acting like the aggrieved spouse, I ... had trouble caring. I know people are complex, but it seemed almost like a case of "only I can treat Howard poorly, how dare you harass him on your end." Also rather like a person of privilege, who felt sideswiped because peons like Jimmy were treading on Howard's space.

Or maybe there was just more grievance going on that we didn't see in their marriage. Who knows?
And the thing is, everyone knows someone like this. I think it makes what happened to Howard even worse.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the reaction to last week's show is interesting. It seems to have been divisive. One reviewer even called it the only bad episode of the series. I don't agree with that, although it's one of my least favorite episodes overall.

I do think there were technical problems that impacted its reception. One was needing to recast Jeff, and the two actors seem to approach the part differently; the Jeff in this episode doesn't really feel threatening, not nearly as much as earlier Jeff. So Jimmy's response seems to target a Jeff that doesn't appear in this episode, was this risky action even warranted? This was really unfortunate and maybe the only actual "mistake" made in what was otherwise pretty decent writing and montage work. (My son who follows college sports also was able to track the sports discussion, which ended up being pretty authentic for that time? It was gobbledy gook to me, but apparently the writers did their research.)

Another was that this subplot had not been revisited for a long period of time so it was not fresh in the viewer's mind. I needed time after the episode to recall where we were, and then I realized (1) it was Jimmy taking care of his own mess rather than relying on the cleaner guy, and (2) this helps interpret the scene at the end where Jimmy leaves the Saul Goodman clothes on the rack. He pulls off this scam within a scam, remembering what it felt like to be at the height of his powers so to speak... but when he dabbles with the idea of taking back up the Goodman mantle, he reconsiders and puts the clothes back. It was a reflection of his choice to not go back to that -- which I think is really important in terms of how this series resolves. It suggests a desire for Jimmy to move forward and find something meaningful, maybe highlighted by his honest admission in the middle of a scam that he was lonely and had no one anymore.

It's also not clear whether the mother character will play a role in the last three episodes, because of Jimmy's not seeming to care about his dog much at the end and thus tipping his hand.

---

I guess they aren't beating around the bush, if tonight's episode is actually called "Breaking Bad."

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe I am just being a bit obtuse lately but these last two episodes I had more trouble following intuitively in terms of tracking character and behavior and needed a little time to think about afterwards to bring some coherence.

Also, the timeline always feels more short to me. I feel like Jimmy's depression / loneliness needed more time to fester before really getting him to this place, whereas it's only been part of a year from what I can tell (March through Nov 12, 2010?) About the only thing the shorter timeline really supports well is why they are still looking for him so desperately and the heat has only gone up.

I think I have a decent handle now on Episode 11, anyway:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched Episode 12 today. I about flipped when my Comcast DVR didn't work (despite me checking an hour before the show last night) for TWO separate chances to record... but I found a buried menu of selections where I could choose what to watch on Comcast and thank god the series was there in my Free to View section (with ads) so that happened today.

I really have no idea what is happening in the series finale next week but I got this to say -- kudos to them for not taking an easy way forward just to appease fans. Kind of like the Season 4 episode with Dom and Darlene, it doesn't end up where you'd expect but is painfully true to what the characters need. This episode was catharsis of some kind for one, and I have no idea what next week will bring, but it feels less hopeful than I had expected.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll watch the new one tonight, but man, I'm really loving that they've finally spent episode length time on Gene, and also given some background on the fallout and aftermath of the White and Pinkman drama.

The department store sequence was so tense, like up there with the BB fake Heisenberg switcheroo or Gus and the box cutter. I think in some ways this show does a better job of suspense, but maybe that's just because I'm so familiar with BB by now.

Despite Saul's constant good luck, there's some vulnerability and regularity about him that I think increases the suspense. I suppose that worked with Walt in the earlier BB seasons too, but not so much later on.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Despite Saul's constant good luck, there's some vulnerability and regularity about him that I think increases the suspense. I suppose that worked with Walt in the earlier BB seasons too, but not so much later on.
Yeah, I mentioned in my spoilers but Walter was rigid and could coldly justify anything, whereas Jimmy has always been flexier and warmer, reachable in some way. When Jimmy does get volatile or horribly callous, it is usually to avoid experiencing emotional pain where Walt barely even seemed to empathize much

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I mentioned in my spoilers but Walter was rigid and could coldly justify anything, whereas Jimmy has always been flexier and warmer, reachable in some way. When Jimmy does get volatile or horribly callous, it is usually to avoid experiencing emotional pain where Walt barely even seemed to empathize much
Walt’s little speech to Jesse about how it tore him up inside knowing what they did to that missing kid reminds me of every narcissist I’ve encountered when they try to feign remorse.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I also much preferred the second Jesse scene. :( now I want to watch El Camino.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I liked Episode 12 so much I rewatched it again later last night. I even paused to read things like the birthday card in more detail, etc.

Does that mean Tammy and Jimmy have the same bday? (Nov 12?) There's an interplay I did not think of -- Jimmy sure didn't get any bday cards, as typical/cliche as that one might have been.

"YUUP. YUUP. YUUP" Fucking gross
:sick2:

I also much preferred the second Jesse scene. :( now I want to watch El Camino.

I have been wanting to rewatch that again, I ended up watching some last season BB episodes a few weeks back.

I really really like the 2nd Jesse scene better too. It just felt more natural and was about two characters who might have been the only ones who find/found some kind of escape or redemption and/or didn't slide into utter depravity.

Something else to add about Episode 11, that I picked up when reading something else. Jimmy wasn't just a bystander with Walt and Jesse. We tended to see him later in the series as another victim of Walt to some degree, or just small fry, and much of BCS might make us more sympathetic to Jimmy until maybe Season 6. But originally he was a person who actually enabled Walt to get on his feet and become who he became. Maybe we can't credit Jimmy completely with Walt's downfall, but he actually positioned Walt as a kingpin and made it happen. His greed and ambition put Walt on the fast track to hell and got a whole bunch of people hurt, and he also was benefitting off the drug business preying on addicts. This episode actually highlights that and ties him directly to Walt's getting his business going.

EDIT: There also seems to be several layers to the onion of Jimmy/Saul as well. Some of them use the same "name" but they are almost distinct in character.

Last edited:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^I picked that up too, it made me think of Saul's role in BB in a different light. I always felt sorry for him when Walt went full Gus intimidating him in season 5 of BB, but knowing Saul played such an important role in encouraging and aiding Walt's meteoric rise to that point, it makes Saul a more tragic character.

Then I thought back to the scene in BB (season 2 I believe) when Saul tells Walt to make him his consiglieri. Like you'd think he would have learned enough by dealing with the likes of Lalo and Gus (albeit less directly dealing with Gus, but still seeing his reach and ruthlessness in some form)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
At least he's got more irons in the fire.

Also:

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The cinematography was always better than it needed to be.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I honestly don't want to watch the finale tonight.

I mean, I do, obviously. But once I do, it's all over. The story is over -- and I don't want it to end.

Plus, I kinda don't want to see what happens to Jimmy/Gene/Saul. I don't feel like it's going to be good. And that's heartbreaking, when thinking of Jimmy.

My thoughts on what might happen:

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Welp... it sucks being right.

Last edited:

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
It's been a real treat getting to See Bob Odenkirk in more serious roles.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's been a real treat getting to See Bob Odenkirk in more serious roles.
He was incredible. Role of a lifetime for him. He has acknowledged such and says there's no point in worrying about how he would top this, just do the best he can with whatever he continues to do and go where it may. He had such a way about him, everything just gel'ed