• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
All I can say is, wow! DA: I is probably one of the few games that made me stick to playing it for..... hours on end without being bored (no cheats.) I'm playing normal mode and just taking my time to get to know the story and the environment. The choices I took for the story went from weird to creeeeeeeeeeeeeepy. I hate spoiling it for others, but just in case.

I don't know what is the estimated clear-through time for this game, but considering my pace, I'd think maybe a solid 40 hours or so.....

á´…eparted

passages
I tried to get into it. I just can't though. The gameplay style is not for me and I find it to be very frustrating and not satisfying. I can see that it's very good, and I would recommend the game, but it's definitely not for me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I managed to snag it on sale for electronic download, but I've only played about half an hour so far since I haven't had a ton of time yet to play.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I tried to get into it. I just can't though. The gameplay style is not for me and I find it to be very frustrating and not satisfying. I can see that it's very good, and I would recommend the game, but it's definitely not for me.

The gameplay style can be frustating, yes. I think playing as a mage/rogue is easiest on mobs and bosses while playing as a tank is probably easier when taking care of rifts. I don't like ai tanks because ai tanks aren't that great. I can, for the majority of the time, ignore tacticals because the rest of my party are ranged, and I usually just grab aggro.

There isn't a more direct way to heal, which can be frustrating when I need to teleport back to camp to restock. Even at higher levels, the healing is lackluster (and you have to depend on what little potions you have.) Some would say it makes it more challenging (say.... compared to Fable.)

4 party system ruined it for me.

It's not too bad. I got used to having my main be as tank while I tag along 2 mages and a rogue.

I mostly got sucked into the game because the main storyline is pretty good, not to mention there is a whole storyline for different regions (I suppose.)

I managed to snag it on sale for electronic download, but I've only played about half an hour so far since I haven't had a ton of time yet to play.

Playing it casually, you'd have quite a lot of time to try to finish it. Finishing just a region on higher levels may take a day or two if you play casually. Just getting to the spoiler without skipping parts will take you a day or two :p (As in, playing a whole 24 hours.)

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
All I can say is, wow! DA: I is probably one of the few games that made me stick to playing it for..... hours on end without being bored (no cheats.) I'm playing normal mode and just taking my time to get to know the story and the environment. The choices I took for the story went from weird to creeeeeeeeeeeeeepy. I hate spoiling it for others, but just in case.

I don't know what is the estimated clear-through time for this game, but considering my pace, I'd think maybe a solid 40 hours or so.....

Dragon Age has excellent voice over actors and the storyline is solid and fleshed out. I played through multiple times in the prior games for the story vs. the mechanics. The banter between party members hooked me, funny as hell and realistic'ish.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dragon Age has excellent voice over actors and the storyline is solid and fleshed out. I played through multiple times in the prior games for the story vs. the mechanics. The banter between party members hooked me, funny as hell and realistic'ish.

Yeah, While I haven't played this one, I'm a huge fan of DA1 and I did play through DA2 although it didn't stick with me as much (as it was more directed towards console players). I was always impressed by the story + voice acting and the characterizations of all the potential party members. The banter was pretty funny and gave a nice flavor to things.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Yeah, While I haven't played this one, I'm a huge fan of DA1 and I did play through DA2 although it didn't stick with me as much (as it was more directed towards console players). I was always impressed by the story + voice acting and the characterizations of all the potential party members. The banter was pretty funny and gave a nice flavor to things.

DA2 did have a more point and click way of attacking (and auto-attacking) - it felt really weird. I did like the storytelling of DA2 though. It reminds me a bit of the GoT history/lore trailers.

Also, I especially like the dialogue between Varric and Cassandra (both cutscene and banter.) Those two are like complete opposites.

There's also a new addition in Inquisition that I loved when it came to the banter. You'll probably meet the person sooner or later if you continue. :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yay! more banter!

I'm just excited that it looks like Morrigan is back, and it was nice to see Leliana in the opening sequence.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am LOVING this game. I'm about 20 hours or so into it. It took me a while to get used to the gameplay but once I did, I found it immensely enjoyable.

And yes...Morrigan is in the game, played once again by Claudia Black.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What are you guys playing as your main? Looks like RT is playing the party tank.

I started a 2H weapon fighter (i.e., "The big sword").

(my main back in DA:O was the two-weapon rogue, although I did finish the game playing a few different things eventually)

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
What are you guys playing as your main? Looks like RT is playing the party tank.

(my main back in DA:O was the two-weapon rogue, although I did finish the game playing a few different things eventually)

i usually play a rogue...haven't gotten a chance yet to try this one...in the previous one I never finished though cause it was too hard to control four guys.

It's hard to imagine a lady playing 2handed fighter...but then again there are ladies twice as strong as me in real life who could swing one better than most men.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's hard to imagine a lady playing 2handed fighter...but then again there are ladies twice as strong as me in real life who could swing one better than most men.

It's fun! Bwa ha ha. I mean, seriously, Isabella or whoever I start the game with also seems to be wielding a 2H sword.

EDIT: Actually, it's Cassandra, and she looks like sword and board.

Last edited:

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I am playing a male human, 2h weapon warrior, reaver specalization. I'm enjoying smashing things :devil:

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Yep, I specialized my guy into a Champion. If played correctly, I am usually the last one standing when it comes to fighting dragons (also the most likely one to be killing it solo halfway through.) Lots of damage mitigation, taunting, and guard skills. It's very similar to other tanking roles that I've played in other games, so I am used to it. On regular mobs and fade fights, it is usually my party members that take all my potions :D.

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I main a rogue dual-wield (that damage though) but holy crap is the 2h sword skill tree fun to play! I just love the brutal and slow nature of it! I think playing as Iron Bull with a 2h Axe is one of the most sadistically entertaining gameplay styles there is XD

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've put 10 hours on the game about 3 weeks ago. I'm having a very difficult time getting back on Inquisition, as I feel there's not much to go back to. Maybe David Gaider (Dragon Age writer and game developer), ran out of interesting characters to create. The lead support character (Cassandra) isn't as interesting as let's say... Alistair (DA:O) and Imoen (Baldur's Gate).

Perhaps he was experimenting with something more contrasting this time around, as previous lead supports were vulnerable emotionally and had to pull through when the going got tough for the sake of them and the party. I'm sure Cassandra isn't as stoic as she presents early in the game, but it's really dragging, and the other characters don't seem to interest me much. I plan to give it another go...