• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Black Mirror (UK)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah thank god for Tom Hardy or it would have been even more dull. The story lacked substance. And yeah the cinematography was exceptional but forced. Arty Farty kind of. I mean 2 minutes of water dripping from trees ?

Well, I enjoy movies that make you feel like you're there, and I like the wild. But it was the small stuff in that movie (aside from the bear scene) that impacted me... like the situation with his son and what little was shown of their relationship.

Di Caprio should have gotten his Oscar for Shutter Island instead of Revenant. The Oscars never make sense :p

Or What's Eating Gilbert Grape. Or The Wolf of Wall Street. Or The Departed.

He basically won for The Revenant because, although he did a decent job, he had been robbed too many other years when he should have won something. So accumulated value bumped him over the top.

I liked Tom Hardy a lot in The Drop. He's great.
He's quite the versatile actor, I think that's what makes him impressive. He melts into his roles as well.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
My opinion on "men against fire" :

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"San Junipero" won two awards at the Emmys 2017:
- Best TV Movie (which I guess it counted as)
- Outstanding Writing award for Limited Series for Charlie Brooker for the episode!

I didn't even realize it was in the running for something.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
"San Junipero" won two awards at the Emmys 2017:

Great, that was a very memorable episode. Very colorful and

Can't wait for season 4. No idea when it's about to air. About the only reason I'm still paying for netflix.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Great, that was a very memorable episode. Very colorful and

And it wasn't cheaply bought either. Lots of pain and pathos in that episode, I felt like it was pretty bravely done.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So, season 4 was just released, and I just finished the first episode, USS Callister.

Some thoughts:

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=11809]Hive[/MENTION]

I wanted to watch the Star Wars parody episode you've mentioned above. But accidentally watched the second episode. Now I feel shitty and depressed. I also feel extremely stupid because I promised myself that I'd never watch a black mirror episode ever again. I changed my mind when I heard Star Trek being mentioned. What a fool I am.

Is the Star Trek type episode depressing too?

I am too much of a SP or a e7 or a e9 to enjoy this depressing show. Urghhhhhhhhhh.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=11809]Hive[/MENTION]

I wanted to watch the Star Wars parody episode you've mentioned above. But accidentally watched the second episode. Now I feel shitty and depressed. I also feel extremely stupid because I promised myself that I'd never watch a black mirror episode ever again. I changed my mind when I heard Star Trek being mentioned. What a fool I am.

Is the Star Trek type episode depressing too?

I am too much of a SP or a e7 or a e9 to enjoy this depressing show. Urghhhhhhhhhh.
Without giving too much away: It's not exactly a Star Trek parody, but the Star Trek-ish stuff exists inside a VR video game one of the characters is playing. And I wouldn't call it depressing, no. The episode actually ends on a happy note (or at least a happy ending was the intention). So knock yourself out.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Without giving too much away: It's not exactly a Star Trek parody, but the Star Trek-ish stuff exists inside a VR video game one of the characters is playing. And I wouldn't call it depressing, no. The episode actually ends on a happy note (or at least a happy ending was the intention). So knock yourself out.

Watched it. You were right. Happy note ending it is. Loved it. Not going to take my chances watching more Black Mirror Episodes though ;).

Thanks dude.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I love this show. This season imo was a really great addition after the more mediocre and kind of disappointing 3rd season.

My favorite episode was easily the first one. The first time I tried to watch it I stopped after like the first 5 minutes because I thought that... yeah... it was going to directly be a star trek parody. It wasnt though, it developed into something else.

(Sort of had a similar theme as one of the mini stories in the christmas episode... the one where a copy of a person is made to do all their menial labor... but this one focused more on the ‘higher power’ determining the fate of the underlings more than the reaction of the underlings themselves)

Anyways. This was my favorite episode. I liked them all really though... but the 5th one which was terminatorish was probably my least favorite.

The one about dating was the like typical light hearted episode they throw in to break up the heaviness a bit. I appreciated it but it was... kind of awkwardly thrown in there imo. Obvious what its purpose was in the season.

So yeah. The first one was my favorite this season... but my favorite of all time is White Bear.

But this season is definitely worth watching

Ingrid in grids

I'm now up to "Hang the DJ." I honestly don't have a clear favourite from the first three.

I really loved the whole visual tone of Crocodile, especially the Icelandic landscapes.

One of the greatest pleasures of watching BM is the visual diversity. So many gorgeous shots.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Season 5 released today -- three episodes. I've watched the first but have the others to watch yet.

Episode 5.01, "Striking Vipers"

Other thoughts:

1. Is the intensity of fighting games related to sex drive in any way, which can also be intense? Games typically do have some "hot" female characters who also kick ass against other male characters. But you can see it in even het couples who fight, then that intense heat of conflict boils over into heated sex. I think Booker has even commented on underlying homoerotic undertones of fighting games, he recalls from playing Tekken back in the early 90's, and it comes out here -- the first incident in the episode occurs after an intense period of sparring.

2. Trans people might be more confused by the episode, since some of the earliest trans experiences in the recent growth of tech involve creating avatars/personas of the opposite gender online and experiencing life that way, even if they have made no changes IRL. It's a very common experience, that exists because the outlet itself was the most convenient and the "best you could get" without unraveling your own life externally. It is also a test drive of sorts, as if you hate living as an other-gendered persona, then you now have an answer for yourself. I have no doubt in this world of the story that lots of trans people or possible trans people are using this OTC tech to explore life on the other side. Can you imagine a version of this VR being used for more of a multi-dimensional Sims game? There would be something comforting in living a virtual life exploring who you are without repercussion to the external world, and in fact we already see that through the online realms today.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Episode 5.02 "Smithereens"

Episode 5.03 "Rachel, Jack, and Ashley Too"

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Black Mirror Season 6 dropped today.

These don't necessarily feel like "on brand" Black Mirror episodes dealing purely with complications of technology, but potentially it's enjoyable regardless.

I couldn't tell what the order was and started watching episode Demon '79 (S6E5, apparently) first. I'm about 60% done and it's been extremely enjoyable, despite it feeling like a different kind of story. I hope the rest are as well done. At least Charlie Brooker is enjoying himself.

EDIT: Finished it. Wished I would have watched it last, it would have made a nice season closer. Really liked the tone -- it's kind of edgy but cheeky all at the same time. And frankly, I can't help but compare it to "Knock at the Cabin" and it makes Shyamalan look like a complete hack. Like, this is that kind of story but told by a skilled storyteller versus MNS's ongoing slop.

The whole season is five episodes long, so four more to go!

Joan is Awful (S6E1): Kind of a fun meta idea for the first 20 minutes, flabbergasting at times and with a hilarious amount of recursion (make sure you watch the TV within the TV). I found the middle of the episode a bit weak and the legal reasoning presumptive (I think in most cases they rely on "reasonable rights" as a sign off because there is no way anyone ever reads the entire license that is a hundred/hundreds of pages), which threw me out of the story a bit -- but then it picks up and has a really nice last 15 minutes with a shocker or two. Some of the casting is sweet.

Loch Henry (S6E2): Basically a scathing commentary of viewer fascination with lurid content, at least until it becomes personal, and then you have to be asking yourself whether it was all truly worth it. (And now we have the weird angle of Netflix satirizing itself in two episodes as a self-designated badge of courage while cynically using that publicity to earn more rating share. Bravo, Netflix, bravo! It has to be fucking seen to be believed.)

Aside from that bit, I'm actually happy with all three episodes so far by Brooker. I'm surprised at some of the scathing ratings and all I can think of is that it's because the season could feel "off-brand" in some ways -- both Loch Henry and Demon 79 feel like episodes that might have been more part of the V/H/S series (tone and content), aside from just being so much higher quality in terms of the writing and production. Because they are just all well-writing, produced, and acted -- often by cast members that aren't widely known.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched the final two episodes of Black Mirror Season 6.

Beyond the Sea (S6E3): Well-done slow burn episode, but it's difficult to determine where it was heading. I guess it is an episode full of themes but it feels like Brooker wasn't sure of what the ending should have been. More cohesion needed thematically. But maybe the point was for a lot of threads to linger. Also, considering where this COULD have gone:

Mazey Day (S6E4): Compared to Beyond the Sea, MD pretty much is the simplest of all the episodes of Season 6 -- except you don't know where it's going exactly until the "oh shit" moment, whereupon I just started laughing and couldn't stop. This isn't a bad thing, it was a hell of an ending. And I guess the main point is already what everyone thought regardless about the paparazzi (with elements of "Nightcrawler" in there), although when you think about it, it becomes even more and more miserable of a snapshot of life in general. I'm not really sure of the reasons for the hate of this episode, it was actually really enjoyable despite the bizarre twist.

---

So there you have it, my thoughts on Season 6.

I have been surprised at the dislike some reviewers expressed for episodes this season. All of them had wonderful production values, good acting, and the writing was actually pretty coherent versus clumsy like can happen on many anthology shows; Brooker tends to be a solid writer in terms of the delivery of the story, and what is actually quibbled on is the story being told.

I suspect the main problem is that the season is fairly "off-brand" for Black Mirror, which had a pretty tight focus on the horrors inflicted on our culture by modern technology. Brooker did not stay in that lane for much of Season 6, I would call this season a pretty clear veer into regular Twilight Zone / American Horror Story / VHS territory. The time periods also vary widely, with episodes clearly anchored in decades like the 60's, 70's, and 90's, along with modern times. So it's off-brand, but that doesn't mean the stories weren't worth viewing or that they were "bad." I think the only dissatisfaction I experienced (again) was with Beyond the Sea, which kind of just trails off (although I really enjoy the chair kick).

The thing is, the later seasons of Black Mirror had more hits and misses. If this is what Brooker needed to revitalize himself and get the juices flowing again, and this venue worked for him, then who cares? They're still speculative fiction stories and they are really well-done overall. I'm actually a lot happier with this season than I've been since White Christmas dropped, tbh. As a season, I also enjoyed it more than Peele's TZ reboot seasons or other speculative fiction seasons I've perused on streaming like Tales from the Loop, for example.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1000004933.jpg