• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I actually cried at the end. I'm so pathetic.
But seriously, this is like a cultural landmark, with resonance -- and kind of the "true" heir to the original movies, versus all that prelude crap. It's pretty sad when a stupid teaser evokes more pathos than full-length features.

Basically the movie characters have aged as much as the viewers have. There's a cool kind of resonance there. They are returning, and so are we. And we all have the feeling (characters and audience) of that time passing.

I actually cried too, when it got to Chewie and Han. I've never been a super fan of Star Wars as a whole, but Han Solo is one of my favorite characters ever- his rapport with Chewie being a big part of that fondness. And yeah, that passing of time aspect put a (bittersweet) whammy on me that lasted all afternoon.

(I suspect this being somewhat on the heels of losing Nimoy/Spock has amplified the nostalgia, at least for me.)

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
When I saw that crashed Star Destroyer, I thought holy crap, this film means business.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Qlip said:
I do have to say that I am a bit apprehensive about Han looking the same as he did so many years ago. Does that mean he had been drifting, lost in space, for years or is he just actually the braggadocios man-child that he seemed?

Harrison Ford has aged much better than Mark Hamill. I saw Hamill in a movie recently, and I did not even recognize him.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Harrison Ford has aged much better than Mark Hamill. I saw Hamill in a movie recently, and I did not even recognize him.

Yeah, I thought Hamill was lookin' pretty rough the last time I saw him.

The beard might actually be helpful.

EDIT:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am surprised that I am cautiously excited about this movie. I suppose all of my cynicism was a defense mechanism against George Lucas. Hell, I think I held INTJs everywhere accountable for his sins.

George Lucas is almost certainly an INTJ. Almost everything in his biography screams "INTJ."

I recommend you check out THX-1138 sometime. Particularly if you can get your hands on a VHS version, before the "improvements." I think his early success and the anxiety of working on the set of the original Star Wars kind of hurt him as a filmmaker (the anxiety prompting an over-reliance on technology).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Over-analysis of the second teaser trailer.

Still, if you take anything away: There's a lot of stuff in there that mirrors stuff from the original trilogy -- it seems pretty specifically designed to connect back to the original, in terms of scenes and framing -- which is perhaps why some people are having a powerful response to it, it's evoking memories connected to the original.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-force-awakens-teaser-2-images/

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Over-analysis of the second teaser trailer.

Still, if you take anything away: There's a lot of stuff in there that mirrors stuff from the original trilogy -- it seems pretty specifically designed to connect back to the original, in terms of scenes and framing -- which is perhaps why some people are having a powerful response to it, it's evoking memories connected to the original.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-force-awakens-teaser-2-images/

I like the idea of Gwendoline Christie being some kind of Imperial tasked with pursuing the good guys that this analysis hints at (which is spoiler free). If this is true, it's an excellent idea.

I wonder how Max Von Sydow fits into this. Is he a Palpatine-type figure, with only a small role in this, but potentially a larger one in the next two movies?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like the idea of Gwendoline Christie being some kind of Imperial tasked with pursuing the good guys that this analysis hints at (which is spoiler free). If this is true, it's an excellent idea.

I wonder how Max Von Sydow fits into this. Is he a Palpatine-type figure, with only a small role in this, but potentially a larger one in the next two movies?

I saw a few potential minor spoilers today, but I don't want to ruin it for you if it's true... (not that it said much, it just gave a very general idea of what those particular actors might be doing in the film). If you Google it, you might be able to find it.... not sure of the URL right now. In general, I'm trying to stay away from definitive spoilers myself.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
But what about BATTLEFRONT?!

Star Wars is lookin' pretty hot right now.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well, I was trying to leave most of the pictures in the article, otherwise why not just post them all?

The subject matter of that one actually bores me; but I did consider putting it in anyway because I think from a photography POV it's actually the best constructed of the lot, in terms of color and framing and balance and whatever else. It's a great photo, from that standpoint. So... that's cool.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Interesting. I guess it's official... that desert planet isn't Tatooine! Good. I was getting tired of that place. There's got to be more than one desert planet in the galaxy.

Moreover, that stone structure looks really ominous. I'm curious about what's going on with that. The temple of some kind of Sith cult, maybe? I really enjoy the dead, wintry tree in the background. I'm guessing that's the same planet that Kylo Ren was on in the first trailer.

Also, confirmation that this character is indeed Brienne of Tarth.

I think my next favorite picture is this:

4543425-sw3.jpg

I think the new creature designs are all pretty interesting. There's a guy in the middle that looks like Trumpy, a dude with a red-manta ray head, and some kind of impish Yoda-like thing with a blue beard. I think the impish blue-bearded Yodachaun is my favorite.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Yodachaun"! BWA HA HA HA HA!

Aye, "Protect me Lucky Charms, I must!"

93JC

well, I was trying to leave most of the pictures in the article, otherwise why not just post them all?

You should have enticed us with the best photo! :alttongue:

The subject matter of that one actually bores me;

:mellow:

Your opinion is bad, and you should feel bad.

but I did consider putting it in anyway because I think from a photography POV it's actually the best constructed of the lot, in terms of color and framing and balance and whatever else. It's a great photo, from that standpoint. So... that's cool.

Damn skippy.