• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What architectural style are you?

Chthonic

I'm a period home fan and for the past three years buying a home has been a trauma laden experience because I couldnt pin down what it was I liked. The penny dropped as I was trying to visualise what my perfect home would be. All the homes Ive fancied have been either this architectural style or had echoes of it.

Gothic Revival

What I love about it
- elongated proportions
- eclesiastical echoes which appears slightly sinister even when its beautiful
- I prefer more austere versions if it. Simple weatherboard homes with a decoratiive bargeboard and tall thin windows.

I lived 2 mins walk from this one a few years ago. Its much creepier in real life and always appears as if its abandoned even though I know peoople do live there. You just never see the people and the house has an empty vibe about it. I walked past it night and it was rarely illuminated even when there were cars in the driveway. Weird. This house always transfixed me with with its ugly-beautiful facade. Its actually very imposing in a street that contains mostly humble workers cottages.

647774-449a7626-5431-11e4-b237-8eb45ddf8c87.jpg
http://resources2.news.com.au/image...7774-449a7626-5431-11e4-b237-8eb45ddf8c87.jpg

So there's my confession. What architectural style typifies you?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ahhh...beautiful thread! You must be something of a kindred spirit. My great aunt and her husband lived in a Georgian mansion on the Kanawha river (that was about as Southern swank as it got in WV before it started crumbling unfortunately WV doesn't have the staying power of states like Georgia and North Carolina) ....i think it really affected me. I think growing up in the South really affected me. As much as I might like Spanish tile I am never going to love it in the same way. What I tend to love about L.A. is the suburban and urban boom in like the 20s through the 50s. I am not sure I would ever buy property here but I tend to really love and feel those neighborhoods, like when my office was near Wilshire Blvd in Westwood, and on drives when I can see the old houses, I actually favor some of the cheap mid twentieth-century architecture in Santa Monica, which some people completely undervalued but honey there's a reason it's so expensive to live there. I also enjoy some of the relatively recent architecture in Venice and Playa (Marina is over development, only lemmings want to live there). By recent I mostly mean 50s-70s.

My grandfather used to tell me I never wanted a Victorian because they were hell to heat, he opted for an A frame log cabin that he helped build, that had all the colors of the time (that weird olive, gold, burnt orange color scheme of the late 60s through early 80s, owls much, let's credit grandma for her last attempt at style in late middle age, it's honestly one of the ways I separate SJ grandparents from SP mom...ISFJ grandma, ESTJ step grandmother always had the LATEST full color scheme and matching accessories and throw pillows, like hotel living, mom lives among bird cages, her own paintings, antique finds and family photos) but I think being an Si dom it comforted him because he grew up in the 20s-30s in a log cabin.

I honestly sometimes see myself in a cabin similar to the design of Deetjens in Big Sur, and other times I think I would at least be temporarily content living in a historic Venice loft or something. I currently live in a fairly dated property, but it is really lovely, surrounded by trees and running water, honestly I need to stick in the late 19th century through mid 20th century, and nothing terribly post modern. I get excited in post modern late 20th century structures, but they are mostly exciting, feel as though they lack soul, and are usually too empty and full of light. I always want to go HOME.

Dannik

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Yes, Gothic Revival is very appealing to me.

But I am much more Storybook Style:

3db13a8a7d2bf0cfc0fe174fe0e5ac41.jpg
3667593460_9bcd302867.jpg
17b3f3a5ec5cb3a31aa64d0670020ee3.jpg
bdae70c5eec2658609a5e651587b35c9.jpg

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
I love exploring different architectural styles, looking through books, all of that. I love Gaudi.

But my architectural style would be Adobe.

BWCB1890

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Either Mid-Century Modern, Early Classical Revival, Greek Revival, or Neoclassical.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
mmm... courtyard houses...

I like them enough that I designed one for my final project in my computer aided drafting class

I think that it's the idea of having something that looks so utterly unremarkable from the outside but having somewhere lovely and peaceful and PRIVATE located within the walls like the courtyard :heart:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not sure what name I would apply to it, but I tend to like architecture in the style of Frank Lloyd Wright.