• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions (PS3)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Intrigued by what I saw in the gamer magazine Game Informer, I recently purchased a copy of the retro-game Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions which is available only for digital download. Some online game reviewers are saying that the game is too hard (whine) or boring (whine whine). Well, welcome to the world of the old-style arcade game. But at least you get infinite game plays for your money, whereas we back in the old days had to keep pumping in quarters in order to get another repetition of the same old levels that we couldn't pass on the previous quarters. And there was no save point.

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions is a beautiful game, and rather than too hard or boring, let's just say that it is very, very challenging. But in that respect, the game is also simple to play in that it only uses two control sticks, one for each thumb, and occasionally the L2 and R2 buttons. Here's an example pic from the game:

gw2.jpeg

That picture really says it all. You're literally surrounded by enemies, and remnants from explosions, but you have the advantage of being able to fire in various directions no matter which direction your ship is pointed. So if you're being followed by an enemy shape then you just point the joystick backwards and blast the little bastard into smithereens. And then, for a small bonus, turn around and collect the green "geoms" that it leaves behind in order to increase your point multiplier.

Some reviewers complain that collecting the geoms (those tiny green things on the lower left side of the picture above) is more risk than it is worth. It is claimed that if you do collect them, you're screwed because you get killed; and if you don't collect them, you don't earn enough points to beat the level. However, I'm finding to the contrary that it is relatively simple to avoid enemies while collecting geoms, and those that are too risky to collect won't cost you very much in the long run. Also, the reviewers neglect to mention that the geoms are attracted to your ship, so that all you have to do to collect a geom is to come within a short range of it, you don't have to run over it.

All in all, I'm finding that Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions (PS3) was worth the $15 I spent on it.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One reviewer stated that he mostly keeps his ship next to a wall and defends his position. But that's a lamer strategy which definitely doesn't work. Even moving around while hugging the wall won't work, and it is terrible practice for those many levels which don't have any walls.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've defeated a lot of levels and I've collected 33 stars in this game. I need two more stars to move on to the next level. I played co-op mode with some kid that my step-daughter invited over yesterday, and he said it was a good game. I'm thinking of recording myself playing the game and posting it to youtube.

cm81

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Intrigued by what I saw in the gamer magazine Game Informer, I recently purchased a copy of the retro-game Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions which is available only for digital download. Some online game reviewers are saying that the game is too hard (whine) or boring (whine whine). Well, welcome to the world of the old-style arcade game. But at least you get infinite game plays for your money, whereas we back in the old days had to keep pumping in quarters in order to get another repetition of the same old levels that we couldn't pass on the previous quarters. And there was no save point.

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions is a beautiful game, and rather than too hard or boring, let's just say that it is very, very challenging. But in that respect, the game is also simple to play in that it only uses two control sticks, one for each thumb, and occasionally the L2 and R2 buttons. Here's an example pic from the game:

gw2.jpeg

That picture really says it all. You're literally surrounded by enemies, and remnants from explosions, but you have the advantage of being able to fire in various directions no matter which direction your ship is pointed. So if you're being followed by an enemy shape then you just point the joystick backwards and blast the little bastard into smithereens. And then, for a small bonus, turn around and collect the green "geoms" that it leaves behind in order to increase your point multiplier.

Some reviewers complain that collecting the geoms (those tiny green things on the lower left side of the picture above) is more risk than it is worth. It is claimed that if you do collect them, you're screwed because you get killed; and if you don't collect them, you don't earn enough points to beat the level. However, I'm finding to the contrary that it is relatively simple to avoid enemies while collecting geoms, and those that are too risky to collect won't cost you very much in the long run. Also, the reviewers neglect to mention that the geoms are attracted to your ship, so that all you have to do to collect a geom is to come within a short range of it, you don't have to run over it.

All in all, I'm finding that Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions (PS3) was worth the $15 I spent on it.

The kind of game I might play... :thinking:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Update: about the complaint I've read online about collecting geoms vs. risking ship destruction, these gamers or so-called gamers did not play the game long enough. One of my ship upgrades included a nice little companion which zips around the screen collecting geoms for me. Also, it fires about one round a second while my ship is firing. And one of the temporary upgrades causes it to fire off rounds like a little mo-fo for up to about 30 seconds.

People, play the game before putting your stupid game reviews on your stupid blogs.