• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Angry" music: why do some people find it relaxing?

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Idk it's like a release of emotions I think. The music sort of puts your feelings into the track or cocoons them through displacement with the sound so it's like you've been purged of your feelings and that gives a sort of relaxing feeling. (Sorry if that makes no sense, literally fail of a sentence.)

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think angry music can give one perspective. Your personal situation ends up not being as bad as what's portrayed in the music, so in that sense I supposed it's relaxing.

Chrysanthea

Explains why I only ever cared to listen to the most extreme of death metal during middle school- to release anger, appearing from absolutely nowhere, which couldn't be released elsewhere without someone dying. Also I suppose I could relate to the lyrics, and so it felt as if I wasn't alone with such emotions. Nowadays it just gives me a rush of energy that I can use to exercise with, like the video below. The only metal I can use as "listening music" nowadays is .00004 the speed and intensity of normal metal and is more akin to prog rock than stereotypical metal.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm one of these people. I've gotten so used to all kinds of metal that it doesn't even sound "angry" to me anymore, it's just the baseline and ideal tempo and instrumentation for music that I prefer. I find it relaxing because it matches my mood for the most part, like the anger I constantly feel within. I don't have any affinity toward most calmer music and don't find it relatable, so it does nothing for me but bore me.