• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Serial podcast

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Is anybody else hooked on this podcast spinoff of This American Life? Sara Koenig is unraveling a single story over the course of a season- this time, the story is about a murder in 1999 where a high school guy may or may not have killed his girlfriend. He was convicted but there are just some bothersome details about the case that make it uncertain. This is fascinating, and it seems like it has really caught fire. The Reddit discussion is a rabbit hole that you could spend hours on- some of the figures from the case are actually participating in the discussion, and an anonymous source came forward a couple of weeks ago claiming to be an old friend of the convicted killer and said he was a "psycho." So it's all very dramatic. New episodes come out on Thursdays so I'm listening to the latest one now.

Listen here (start with Episode 1, don't just jump in with the latest episode): Serial
Reddit people are serious about this shit: A place to discuss Serial: The Podcast

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I binge-listened to the entire thing last weekend, and while it was interesting and well put together, I have no idea why the entire country is obsessed with it. With all the quality podcasts out in the world, why is THIS podcast the one that makes people want to listen to podcasts? That disappointed me, because "Serial" disappointed me.

1) It made me realize that this sort of true crime story is really frustrating to me. I like the idea of documenting an attempt to prove someone's innocence, fix a broken crime narrative, revive a cold case. I'd love to hear the stories of people working at The Innocence Project, for example. But something about "Serial" seems both presumptuous and naive. Seeing an established journalist swoop in and think she has the power to magically fix this case. It bothers me for the same reason "Throwdown! with Bobby Flay" bothers me: it documents the story of someone with ambition and no experience trying to beat established professionals at their own game.

2)

3)

Cygnus

We just had to listen to this for a Psychology project.

I cannot pay attention to this audio bullshit. I need a book, a video, something visual or semantic, but not noise blasted in my ear.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I enjoyed Serial, but my thoughts are mostly this:

I binge-listened to the entire thing last weekend, and while it was interesting and well put together, I have no idea why the entire country is obsessed with it. With all the quality podcasts out in the world, why is THIS podcast the one that makes people want to listen to podcasts?

I think it was an interesting experiment, to try to start a narrative account of an investigation without knowing what you're going to end up with. But that was also its downfall, really. It structured itself like a police procedural or a true crime book a-la In Cold Blood, but those work because whether fictional or true, they have already gotten closure. You can't structure something in a narrative way without knowing how it's going to unfold or ultimately end. I'm sure they thought it would work because most people knew nothing of this case and would be hanging on to find out what happens. But it still depends on...something happening.

Raffaella

bon vivant
I started this podcast with an open mind and it wasn't until a few episodes in that I started disbelieving Sayad and Jay's innocence. Around mid-season, my opinion started wavering but by the finale, I had lost faith in Sayad and realised that Koenig's been duped. Where to start? Aside from the discrepancies between their testimonies and their actions, the narrative came from a journalist smitten with a possible felon. I realise that the purpose may not be to only present the truth and that the reporting would have a slant but it was disconcerting to listen to Kroenig almost blindingly accept Sayad's clean hands. I expected her to scrutinise his words more since a lot of his comments, his tone and delivery left me cold. I was convinced he was lying and that, perhaps, he'd spent his sentence indoctrinating himself with these lies. I don't regard him as a sociopath, just a charismatic deceiver; he had a good image so I imagine he's trying to maintain it.

I've glanced over the subreddit, read some interesting articles but neither have swayed me.

I agree even thought I can't work out who he's trying to protect. Was it premeditated? How much does Adnan's family know? I feel something suspicious is going on with that family.

But something about "Serial" seems both presumptuous and naive. Seeing an established journalist swoop in and think she has the power to magically fix this case. It bothers me for the same reason "Throwdown! with Bobby Flay" bothers me: it documents the story of someone with ambition and no experience trying to beat established professionals at their own game.

:laugh:

I know, right?

I should point out, I'll be staying around for seasons 2 and 3 but only to find out if Koenig's opinion will change.

Raffaella

bon vivant
Has anyone been keeping up-to-date with this? Not the second season but Adnan's case? I started listening to The Undisclosed Podcast in September where the case is discussed in a lot of detail since it was created by Rabia Chaudry (after she was disappointed with Koenig's reporting) and two "neutral" lawyers. In short, you'll walk away from the case feeling completely different. As in I now find my older posts in this thread just embarrassing.

As for season 2, I listened to one episode but frankly, I'm not in the mood to listen to Koenig present a story only to potentially have the rug pulled out from underneath me when new details emerge or current details are examined rigorously by lawyers. Yes, yes, I understand she's more of an entertainer :rolleyes:

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
More like serial podkiller

Amirite?

Amirite?

Ugh, fuck that shit...