• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who likes french music?

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh RH, I was cranky at the time, and it's this sort of thing I resent. I like a few French musicians, but I resent the implication that I must like certain things to be cultured, and I doubly resent people who affect intelligence by collecting the 'right' interests.

Of course you don't have to like certain things to be cultured. However, it is equally dumb to reject certain things simply because you associate them with "cultured" people and somehow resent cultured people or what is commonly mistaken for cultured people.

PS: I live in a small reputable European university town and have met quite a few academic hipsters. Trust me. I know the type that collects the right interests. *sigh*

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Of course you don't have to like certain things to be cultured. However, it is equally dumb to reject certain things simply because you associate them with "cultured" people and somehow resent cultured people or what is commonly mistaken for cultured people.

PS: I live in a small reputable European university town and have met quite a few academic hipsters. Trust me. I know the type that collects the right interests. *sigh*

I actually agree with you 100%. I realize it does appear that I stated that I implied that I dislike all French music, but I would never dislike 'French Music' any more or less than I'd like 'French Music'. The category is way too broad, and I feel that anybody who falls into either category isn't focused on the music part, but the French part and I can't really connect to the -phelia aspect of it. Like I said, my statement came from the implication that French = cultured, and the response to the lack of immediate interest.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I actually agree with you 100%. I realize it does appear that I stated that I implied that I dislike all French music, but I would never dislike 'French Music' any more or less than I'd like 'French Music'. The category is way too broad, and I feel that anybody who falls into either category isn't focused on the music part, but the French part and I can't really connect to the -phelia aspect of it. Like I said, my statement came from the implication that French = cultured, and the response to the lack of immediate interest.

Yeah, my first reaction was: WTF is French music even supposed to be. That is such an enormously wide field. What I was going on about is how both the francophobes and the francophiles seem to equate so much with French cultural products that goes way beyond what they actually are. And the level of francophobia I have encountered among Americans impresses me and makes me suspect there is a little more behind it. Thus my first post.