• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTERSTELLAR

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A thought, not sure if it's in this thread already but wanted to type it out:

eta: and I guess the first thought I have in these types of movies - if we or an alien race are evolved enough to plant a wormhole and build some sort of 5th dimension tesseract - wouldn't they have the tech to just come for a visit and say, "Yo, your planet is dying but we can totally help you out with that. Here's a short-list of habitable worlds, a giant spaceship, some handy lessons on spacetime and hey, good luck peeps!"

I've often noted, from reading the cover of that high-end, erudite, scientific journal The National Enquirer while in line at the grocery store, that aliens tend to be seen most often by...
shall we say...
"Hillbillies".

And yet all the serious movies and literature about meetings with alien races seem to have the cliche "Take me to your leader" uttered by the aliens.

So, putting those together, I suggest that the greatest proof that there are no alien intelligences, is that none of them tried to contact us when Bill Clinton was President. A two-fer, and all their bases covered!

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Liked it immensely. It kind of continues where the movie Contact ended. In Contact, Dr Arroway's journey was kind of a dud, a disappointment. Interstellar fills in that void. I hate to nitpick, but why couldn't they have built giant geodesic domes on Earth to protect the soil and block out the dust?

The highlight of the movie for me was when:

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, aside from the shock value of "wait, he's in this movie?" the more I think about it, the more he seemed miscast to me. I've liked him in a number of other movies... but not this one. It could have been far more dramatic with a different actor.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Too many plot holes. Was not great as I expected it to be. To slow and too long.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Too many plot holes. Was not great as I expected it to be. To slow and too long.

Name one plot hole in INTERSTELLAR.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Name one plot hole in INTERSTELLAR.

Shit I hope I don't have to argue with a real believer here.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Shit I hope I don't have to argue with a real believer here.

Typical time traveler paradox. We may as well as just throw out all time travel shows. And why didn't Harry Potter use his time travel magic ability in the next novel? Isn't that in itself a plot hole?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
15 fake plot-holes in INTERSTELLAR.
15 maddening 'Interstellar' plot holes | PopWatch | EW.com

12. What’s on the bottom of the robot’s legs, exactly — are there wheels? Wouldn’t it be scraping along crazily against everything with those big square metal ends? At the very least making a lot more noise? Still, I want one of those robots. The robots were rad.​

Yeah, major plot-hole there, buddy.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Major plot-hole in a ST:TOS episode "The City on the Edge of Forever."

McCoy goes mad, beams down to an alien planet and plunges through a time vortex on the planet, visiting Earth's past and changing history. The Enterprise is now no longer in orbit because it never existed, causing Spock and Kirk to be stranded on the planet. But then how did Spock and Kirk ever get to the planet in the first place?

Nevertheless, a brilliant episode and the most popular ST:TOS episode.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think Hibberd was trying to be more "amusing" than "maddening," as many of his items aren't really plot holes but just points of preference or things that weren't focused upon.

Major plot-hole in a ST:TOS episode "The City on the Edge of Forever."

McCoy goes mad, beams down to an alien planet and plunges through a time vortex on the planet, visiting Earth's past and changing history. The Enterprise is now no longer in orbit because it never existed, causing Spock and Kirk to be stranded on the planet. But then how did Spock and Kirk ever get to the planet in the first place?

Were Spock and Kirk near the portal when it happened? I guess they can say the portal was kind of creating a time-warp / neutral pocket, since it was aware o the change itself rather than being caught up in it. But yeah, otherwise... ooops.

Nevertheless, a brilliant episode and the most popular ST:TOS episode.

Of course, they credit it to harlan ellison, and he disowned the episode; his original screenplay won awards, but it was changed a lot for the episode. I still really like this episode, however.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I don't know if this is a plot hole, but is it really possible to

I'm also confused by several things in the film. Maybe someone can explain them.

1. How the heck did Cooper

2. We're told that 3-dimensional beings can't

3. Did they have

Tater

i like matt damon, but i agree that he was miscast. with too many big-name actors, a movie begins to break the fourth wall. that's suitable for some films, especially with social commentary, but not this one.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
3. Did they have

They were standing on the surface's of the planet in shallow liquid. Think of the wave like a tsunami. Pushing over land, that perhaps never ends, circling the planet.

However, most seem to think it is more a tidal wave(s), because of the external forces (gravitational forces like the black hole) acting on it.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think Hibberd was trying to be more "amusing" than "maddening," as many of his items aren't really plot holes but just points of preference or things that weren't focused upon.

Were Spock and Kirk near the portal when it happened? I guess they can say the portal was kind of creating a time-warp / neutral pocket, since it was aware o the change itself rather than being caught up in it. But yeah, otherwise... ooops.

Of course, they credit it to harlan ellison, and he disowned the episode; his original screenplay won awards, but it was changed a lot for the episode. I still really like this episode, however.

Fortunately, McCoy did not plunge through the Guardian time portal until Spock and Kirk had beamed down. They were standing around asking the Guardian questions when the Guardian started to display scenes from human history. McCoy suddenly appeared on the scene yelling something about assassins and killers. He then ran through the time vortex.

Edit - come to think of it, the portal would not have worked until someone asked a question. McCoy was not in any shape to be asking questions. So someone sane had to be there to activate the portal.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A

My understanding too was that the portal was the origin point of the time distortions in that region of space, and somehow, being in that place when Dr. McCoy runs through the time portal shelters them from the changes that Dr. McCoy set in motion when he went back in time.

Eh, that was good enough for me!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I'm reading about the original screenplay. It was too advanced for 1960s television. In one draft of the screenplay, an alien monster bites McCoy's hand. The monster's poison drives him to madness. I wonder, is this what the monster would have looked like if the episode had been produced that way?

a5d2690c77c52fda86104041a5db8403.jpg