• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

DOOM

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Fun at first, but too knuckleheaded. If I want horror, I agree with Noel: a techno-thriller like Half-Life 2 can't be beat.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fun at first, but too knuckleheaded. If I want horror, I agree with Noel: a techno-thriller like Half-Life 2 can't be beat.

As much as I love Half-Life 2 and its expansions, I have to say that Half-Life had a much more intriguing world to explore. I loved the idea how Black Mesa was an entire city beneath the canyons -- it was highly creative and it felt rather homey. I could play the game just for the opening sequence and riding the monorail past the food court and other interesting environments.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
As much as I love Half-Life 2 and its expansions, I have to say that Half-Life had a much more intriguing world to explore. I loved the idea how Black Mesa was an entire city beneath the canyons -- it was highly creative and it felt rather homey. I could play the game just for the opening sequence and riding the monorail past the food court and other interesting environments.
Classic -- I remember watching it on a friend's computer back in the day. What a turning point for video games.

Edit: Though I will admit being riveted by the escalation up the Citadel. More horror than wonder, but still a Valve masterwork.

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
Classic -- I remember watching it on a friend's computer back in the day. What a turning point for video games.

Edit: Though I will admit being riveted by the escalation up the Citadel. More horror than wonder, but still a Valve masterwork.

I was one of the luckier kids to have a Voodoo 3 graphics cards when Half-Life came out. I knew then I was hooked on pc gaming.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I was one of the luckier kids to have a Voodoo 3 graphics cards when Half-Life came out. I knew then I was hooked on pc gaming.
Nice. At the risk of a second derailing: I thought that PC gaming introduced far too many compatibility risks; until, after playing the Xbox 360 version, bought Oblivion and loaded dozens of mods, including FCOM: Convergence. Holy mackerel, what a game.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Nice. At the risk of a second derailing: I thought that PC gaming introduced far too many compatibility risks; until, after playing the Xbox 360 version, bought Oblivion and loaded dozens of mods, including FCOM: Convergence. Holy mackerel, what a game.
Fuck Oblivion. Stupid level scaling.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Stupid level scaling.
The game's three comprehensive user mods (OOO, MMM, Francesco's) remove scaling, establish a powerful risk/reward calculus and improve the game in a dozen additional ways. So, to repeat, "what a game." You might want to try it.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
The game's three comprehensive user mods (OOO, MMM, Francesco's) remove scaling, establish a powerful risk/reward calculus and improve the game in a dozen additional ways. So, to repeat, "what a game." You might want to try it.
I bought it when it came out, and finished it before the mods were out. Since I don't tend to play really long games more than once, I'm probably stuck with my bad memories.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I bought it when it came out, and finished it before the mods were out. Since I don't tend to play really long games more than once, I'm probably stuck with my bad memories.
I know for certain that I couldn't go back to what they call "vanilla Oblivion," so you're in good general company. But I think that anyone with shared complaints (or a preference for Morrowind) has a good chance of being pleased.