• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Leftovers

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Heavy.

Need a well done HBO drama/fantasy/mystery, with a piano driven score that will wrench your heart from your chest? I've got just the remedy.

ewjgmJp.jpg

The Leftovers takes place three years after a global event in which many people disappeared, known as the "Sudden Departure", which caused the unexplainable disappearance of 140 million people, 2% of the world's population. The story focuses primarily on the Garvey family and their acquaintances in the fictional town of Mapleton, New York. Kevin Garvey is the Chief of Police. His wife, Laurie, has joined a cult called the "Guilty Remnant". Their son, Tommy, has left home and college while their daughter, Jill, is acting out.

TqoLBeV.jpg

g9NChym.jpg

XVWq02p.jpg

DsSKz3x.jpg

fBXMIL1.jpg

elCdXib.jpg

VXyiTTd.jpg

Looks Fun!!!

This scene (if Vimeo doesn't kick it off) is a cold open montage accompanied with my new favorite Black Keys song, followed by the show intro:
(Trust me, it's not really sad. It's actually a comedy :devil:).

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I tried to watch it, I really did. I hated it and I've never said that about an HBO show before.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I tried to watch it, I really did. I hated it and I've never said that about an HBO show before.

Least ya gave it a shot.

I could see it being a love/hate show. It really is rather bleak, wonderfully bleak, with sharp moments of light.

I'm not even sure I enjoy watching it, haha. Yet I'm addicted, doing a marathon.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm about 15 minutes into the finale and let me just say, STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM THIS SHIT.

I will soldier on but save yourselves.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This show is an emotional BOG. I've never seen one like it.

It is an immersion show. Utilizing story, powerful music, top tier acting, and extreme character development, it is a show that tears down the fourth wall and places you smack dab in the middle of the shitstorm.

But what it immerses you in are powerful themes of depression, loss, and grief. NOT for everyone. In fact, possibly traumatic for some.

The last 20 minutes of the season finale almost made it worth that watch though. Something unexpected happened. A powerful ending that leaves the viewer with hope. The bog was so heavy and laden with hopelessness that I was only expecting to to sink in over my head.

Alas, this show took a very hopeful twist. So unexpected, that it made the feelings of relief and joy, that much more poignant.

I sill don't reccomend it for the easily depressed, but anyone that wants to go on a journey through hell AND come out with renewed hope, like Virgil in the Inferno, you probably won't find something better in the next five years.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I loved season 1 and can't wait for season 2!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My husband and I were hooked after the first episode. There was just something really compelling about it. Part of what hooked me was that one song they played in the trailers that really kind of nailed the mood for the whole series.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My husband and I were hooked after the first episode. There was just something really compelling about it. Part of what hooked me was that one song they played in the trailers that really kind of nailed the mood for the whole series.

My God, the music in that show.

I like the composer, Max Richter too.

The music is perfectly coupled with the story and the scenes (actually the story has many unfilled gaps, though I think intentionally). One of many reasons it's so compelling.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This show is an emotional BOG. I've never seen one like it.

It is an immersion show. Utilizing story, powerful music, top tier acting, and extreme character development, it is a show that tears down the fourth wall and places you smack dab in the middle of the shitstorm.

But what it immerses you in are powerful themes of depression, loss, and grief. NOT for everyone. In fact, possibly traumatic for some.

The last 20 minutes of the season finale almost made it worth that watch though. Something unexpected happened. A powerful ending that leaves the viewer with hope. The bog was so heavy and laden with hopelessness that I was only expecting to to sink in over my head.

Alas, this show took a very hopeful twist. So unexpected, that it made the feelings of relief and joy, that much more poignant.

I sill don't reccomend it for the easily depressed, but anyone that wants to go on a journey through hell AND come out with renewed hope, like Virgil in the Inferno, you probably won't find something better in the next five years.
Worse than "True Detective"?

Been thinking about watching it, but your reviews are making me uncertain.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It really is an immersive experience. And it's definitely moody. But I still recommend it. I will say that my husband doesn't usually like these kinds of moody pieces, but he found this show very compelling too. The main character, the police chief, is a really well-written and well-acted, nuanced character study. (It helps, for me, that Justin Theroux is super dreamy.)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It really is an immersive experience. And it's definitely moody. But I still recommend it. I will say that my husband doesn't usually like these kinds of moody pieces, but he found this show very compelling too. The main character, the police chief, is a really well-written and well-acted, nuanced character study. (It helps, for me, that Justin Theroux is super dreamy.)
That's a good recommendation!

I should probably finish off one of my angsty shows first, lol. This would be way too much if I watched it along with Breaking Bad (which I'm currently working on).

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yeah, that might be a good idea. I binge-watched Breaking Bad and that didn't do my psyche any favors, lol.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Worse than "True Detective"?

Been thinking about watching it, but your reviews are making me uncertain.

Oh, give it a shot! Haha. It's great, from a creative perspective.

I definitely recommend it. And my take on it is probably just a "you've been warned."

I mean, there's this cult, and they are practically the living embodiment of Depression. Like it's a part of their manifesto or something.

But it is heavy. Heavier than TD, imo. Like TD, there's definitely periods of comedic relief ("Let's make the car a place of silent reflection") and moments of optimism that seem even more poignant surrounded by all the grief/darkness. But UNlike TD, there doesn't seem to be a lot of satisfaction, story/plot wise. But I don't think there's supposed to be. It's focus is the characters and the general mood. I think I read somewhere that The Leftovers is kind of like a rorschach test for the viewer. You fill in the gaps for yourself.

Watch the first episode, don't let me sway you. I wrote a lot of what I wrote RIGHT after watching the darkest parts of the finale and BEFORE the ending, which is quite powerful, hopeful, and optimistic.

It's already been renewed for a second season, I'll be watching, so you better catch up.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, that might be a good idea. I binge-watched Breaking Bad and that didn't do my psyche any favors, lol.
Ha! Thankfully I have not been doing that with Breaking Bad. However I DID do that with True Detective, and that was a pretty horrendous mistake. (Didn't help that as a fellow enneagram 1, there was something about Rust's logic that I related to more than I would like. :doh: )

Oh, give it a shot! Haha. It's great, from a creative perspective.

I definitely recommend it. And my take on it is probably just a "you've been warned."

I mean, there's this cult, and they are practically the living embodiment of Depression. Like it's a part of their manifesto or something.

But it is heavy. Heavier than TD, imo. Like TD, there's definitely periods of comedic relief ("Let's make the car a place of silent reflection") and moments of optimism that seem even more poignant surrounded by all the grief/darkness. But UNlike TD, there doesn't seem to be a lot of satisfaction, story/plot wise. But I don't think there's supposed to be. It's focus is the characters and the general mood. I think I read somewhere that The Leftovers is kind of like a rorschach test for the viewer. You fill in the gaps for yourself.

Watch the first episode, don't let me sway you. I wrote a lot of what I wrote RIGHT after watching the darkest parts of the finale and BEFORE the ending, which is quite powerful, hopeful, and optimistic.

It's already been renewed for a second season, I'll be watching, so you better catch up.
Ooh. Yeah that's a great endorsement too.

Maybe once I'm done with BB, I can watch this while re-watching Twin Peaks!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Ooh, thanks for the reminder- I need to re-watch Twin Peaks too! I really hope it holds up- I LOVED that shit back in the day.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ooh, thanks for the reminder- I need to re-watch Twin Peaks too! I really hope it holds up- I LOVED that shit back in the day.
It aged well enough that I loved season 1 when I watched it four years ago! (Never watched season 2)

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I'm 100% straight, but Justin Theroux is a dreamboat.

"Do you think Aimee's really fucking Jill's dad?"
"Probably! Dude's ripped!"

SPOILERS [MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION] and whoever