• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anime?

Raffaella

bon vivant
Are there any other directors like Makoto Shinkai or Hayao Miyazaki? I don't mind anime series, either.

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Go watch/read Death Note you won’t regret.​

unsomething

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Here are some series I think you would like:

Natsume's book of friends (also hotarubi no mori e)
Mushishi
Mononoke
Kemono no Souja Erin
Kino's Journey
Kaiba
Revolutionary Princess Utena
Gankutsuou
Princess Jellyfish

Maybes:

Anything by Satoshi Kon
Things by CLAMP
House of five leaves
Mawaru Penguindrum
Aria the animation
Escaflowne
Kuroshitsuji
Great teacher onizuka
Aoi Bungaku Series
Honey and Clover
Moyashimon
Haibane Renmei
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

Hope those help :)

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Mushishi
Mononoke
Kemono no Souja Erin
Kino's Journey
Kaiba
Gankutsuou
Princess Jellyfish

I second the bolded, because I've watched them.

Seirei no Moribito was good too.

I liked Tsubasa Chronicles, but people had issues with where it was going closer towards the end of the series. For the most part I liked it.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Ooohh Escaflowne!! Pretty good story, and very dreamy-like.

I'd say Big O has a lot of action, but I think it has a dream-like world state and mysterious story line that can be very attractive even if the motivation isn't action.

.hack//sign or however you write it is very dreamy as well. Beautiful music, mysterious talking that never makes sense, lovely scenes and characters and a sad sort of main character lost in a literal dream world.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok, I'll just create a list of anime that I like that has fantasy or dreamy elements (I won't list Shinkai or Miyazaki films, since you have probably seen them). Some of them have been listed, but I'll rename them anyways.

Kemono no Souja Erin
Seirei no Moribito
Hotarubi no Mori e
Tsubasa Chronicles
Kino's Journey
Zettai Shounen (be advised, it's a mixed bag... very slow. And when I mean slow, it's slower than most anime I've watched.)
Natsume Book of Friends
Gingitsune
Juuni Kokuki
Haibane Renmei

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai (AnoHana for short): I guess the most similar to 5cms, I suppose. It isn't dreamy or fantastical (at least my interpretation of it because you don't get those awesome pictures like you do in 5cms :) .)

Ack, can't seem to name any more.

Raffaella

bon vivant
Ok, I'll just create a list of anime that I like that has fantasy or dreamy elements (I won't list Shinkai or Miyazaki films, since you have probably seen them). Some of them have been listed, but I'll rename them anyways.

Kemono no Souja Erin
Seirei no Moribito
Hotarubi no Mori e
Tsubasa Chronicles
Kino's Journey
Zettai Shounen (be advised, it's a mixed bag... very slow. And when I mean slow, it's slower than most anime I've watched.)
Natsume Book of Friends
Gingitsune
Juuni Kokuki
Haibane Renmei

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai (AnoHana for short): I guess the most similar to 5cms, I suppose. It isn't dreamy or fantastical (at least my interpretation of it because you don't get those awesome pictures like you do in 5cms :) .)

Ack, can't seem to name any more.

It's okay, provided it's similar to Shinkai's work in some way, I know I'll enjoy it. I didn't think he could top 5cm/s but his most recent film Garden of Words is pretty close. Thank you for this list! :cheers:

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The recent movie The Tale of the Princess Kaguya by Studio Ghibli, you can check it out ;)

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I personally like the guy who directed Cowboy Bebop and Kids on the Slope.

Null_01

Instinctual Variant
sx
Nekojiru-Sou - Cat Soup on Vimeo

^ worth watcching, only 30 minutes or so. It's called Cat Soup. It's a bit more surreal though...actually maybe that's a bad suggestion.

Well I recommend watching Redline, Mindgame, Paprika, and the Utena movie. These are all directed towards older audiences btw.

Raffaella

bon vivant
Nekojiru-Sou - Cat Soup on Vimeo

^ worth watcching, only 30 minutes or so. It's called Cat Soup. It's a bit more surreal though...actually maybe that's a bad suggestion.

Well I recommend watching Redline, Mindgame, Paprika, and the Utena movie. These are all directed towards older audiences btw.

Bad suggestion for this thread but it's surrealistic so I'm gonna love it, nonetheless. Thank you :)

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Mushishi
Mononoke
Kemono no Souja Erin
Kino's Journey
Kaiba
Gankutsuou
Princess Jellyfish

Maybes:

Anything by Satoshi Kon
Things by CLAMP
House of five leaves