• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rock Music is Finally Dead

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gene Simmons:

“Rock did not die of old age. It was murdered," says Gene Simmons of the rock group Kiss.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Kiss is like the worst band ever.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Kiss is like the worst band ever.

That's a matter of opinion and not the topic of this thread.

I hadn't really thought of this in terms of "rock is dead"; however, the last few years have seen such a dearth of good rock music that it seems like radio stations are being forced to scrape the bottom of the barrel. The best rock song these days wouldn't even approach the same level as the worst Kiss song.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's a matter of opinion and not the topic of this thread.

I hadn't really thought of this in terms of "rock is dead"; however, the last few years have seen such a dearth of good rock music that it seems like radio stations are being forced to scrape the bottom of the barrel. The best rock song these days wouldn't even approach the same level as the worst Kiss song.

If you're turning to the radio to hear good rock music you're doing it wrong.

Also, lol @ your last sentence. Speaking of opinions.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Yeah, a lot of silly people complain how there's nothing good or original on the radio anymore. They seem to think that means there's nothing good or original being made now period. While I agree that rock isn't flourishing like it was maybe back in 1965, there's still tons of great bands, you just have to look a little harder.

I only JUST discovered St. Vincent for example. That girl (the frontwoman) shreds on the guitar and is just an otherworldy talent. :D I really enjoyed Jack White's new album Lazaretto, too.

Also, Gene Simmons doesn't know anything about music, he's more of a business man.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you're turning to the radio to hear good rock music you're doing it wrong.

Also, lol @ your last sentence. Speaking of opinions.

Then please give me an example. And not of "great bands," I want to hear some new, great rock music.

Amalie Muller

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't know, but it's obvious that there is no good new rock music, much less great new rock music.

This is bullshit. Music is as good now as it's ever been.

But what do you mean by "new"? And how exactly are you defining "rock music"?

You can't define "new" as "new in 2014" and expect a brand new band to be great right from the start. It takes time to develop your craft, it doesn't happen overnight.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's been dead for almost a decade.

Amalie Muller

MBTI Type
ENTP
Did you read the article in the OP?

No. I didn't know there was one.

But I've read it now, and in some ways I agree. In others I don't.

Most of the great music being written nowadays is not rock, but pop -- artists like Regina Spektor and Taylor Swift. Their music is extremely accessible, and they write very clever, witty lyrics. What more do you need in a pop song?

Compared with artists like those, "modern rock" is often very unimaginative and just boring.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No. I didn't know there was one.

But I've read it now, and in some ways I agree. In others I don't.

Most of the great music being written nowadays is not rock, but pop -- artists like Regina Spektor and Taylor Swift. Their music is extremely accessible, and they write very clever, witty lyrics. What more do you need in a pop song?

Compared with artists like those, "modern rock" is often very unimaginative and just boring.

I agree with that in some ways. Pop can be clever and interesting, but at times certain music can seriously annoy me because of the way it sounds. I went through my BEP phase a few years ago. Before that, there was NIN, and SOD, even Green Day was good. Serj Tankian put out some interesting stuff in his own name. Now it's all gone to screaming lyrics, some of which I don't mind if it adds contrast to the music. But if it's nothing but screaming then the music is flat, dull, pointless.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I generally don't like "rock", in the traditional sense anymore. Music is super fragmented and diverse these days, so a lot of the best acts don't just do straightforward rock. That being said, here are a few recommendations for very recent rock music:

Also I really like the album Lazaretto by Jack White.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Colours to Life - rather like 60s retro, a wall-of-sound; one of the guitarists wears his guitar stomach high, close to his chest.