• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rock Music is Finally Dead

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Kiss is like the worst band ever.

YES. Gene can't play bass for shit, either.

They've openly admitted they are basically more concerned with being famous and rich than making decent music. At least they're honest about that.

Rock music dead? Why are we treating this like new news? It's been dead since 1990, imo. Rock music now is actually post-rock.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
YES. Gene can't play bass for shit, either.

They've openly admitted they are basically more concerned with being famous and rich than making decent music. At least they're honest about that.

Rock music dead? Why are we treating this like new news? It's been dead since 1990, imo. Rock music now is actually post-rock.

I dunno about that man... Rock is a certain style and tradition of music, it could maybe be 'post' if it were a movement. Nobody ever calls anything post-jazz or post-blues and they inhabited very similar social spaces and popularity at their peaks.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Kiss is like the worst band ever.

I dunno about that man... Rock is a certain style and tradition of music, it could maybe be 'post' if it were a movement. Nobody ever calls anything post-jazz or post-blues and they inhabited very similar social spaces and popularity at their peaks.

I was half-joking.

Maybe part of the problem is that we try to fit every goddamn type of music and every musician into neatly labelled genre boxes in an age where so many genres and styles have cross-pollinated and split and merged and so on. "Rock" itself is evidence of this--the bastard child of blues, country, jazz, folk and etc

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree with Qlip.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh and fyi Mini Kiss is so much better than Kiss. I've seen 'em, they're better because their set isn't all Kiss songs.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Gene Simmons is a really smart dude, but he's got it wrong. What is dead is the cultural event that rock used to be, not rock itself. It used to be impossible for a big rock band to come to your town without everyone knowing about it. Now hugely popular bands can come and go without being a blip in the community or the culture. I think that's what Simmons is mourning. And to be fair, I can see a definition of rock that deems the size, the excess, the event-ness essential. I miss it, too.

But you know, that's just the byproduct of technology and the wider range of genres and styles available to us. I miss that going to the movies isn't an event anymore and that people are happier to have a lesser experience at home. But I know that makes me look like an old man yelling at clouds, and that's what Simmons looks like, too.

Besides, if rock is dead, somebody forgot to tell The Hold Steady.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gene Simmons is a really smart dude, but he's got it wrong. What is dead is the cultural event that rock used to be, not rock itself. It used to be impossible for a big rock band to come to your town without everyone knowing about it. Now hugely popular bands can come and go without being a blip in the community or the culture. I think that's what Simmons is mourning. And to be fair, I can see a definition of rock that deems the size, the excess, the event-ness essential. I miss it, too.

But you know, that's just the byproduct of technology and the wider range of genres and styles available to us. I miss that going to the movies isn't an event anymore and that people are happier to have a lesser experience at home. But I know that makes me look like an old man yelling at clouds, and that's what Simmons looks like, too.

Besides, if rock is dead, somebody forgot to tell The Hold Steady.

And Snot. Snot (band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jaguar

Yo mama
Yo mama
Yo mama

Yo dada
Yo dada
Yo dada

I'm a tiger. Roar.

Where's the guitar riff?

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
U2 and apple killed rock music.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you guys mean grunge, or post grunge?

Big dif.