• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rock Music is Finally Dead

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=6723]phobik[/MENTION] because I know you just LOVE rock. :ninja:

It's a bit heavy on the lyrics but still good.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
People have been saying rock is dead for ages, some even write songs about it. This one was released in 2003.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
@<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/6723.html" target="_blank">phobik</a> because I know you just LOVE rock. :ninja:

It's a bit heavy on the lyrics but still good.

Out of the Black calls for Into the Everblack :D

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Gene Simmons:

“Rock did not die of old age. It was murdered," says Gene Simmons of the rock group Kiss.

Kiss is like the worst band ever.
Ha. I first read the OP as:
Rock did not die of old age. It was murdered by Gene Simmons of the rock group Kiss. ;)

Anyway, commercialized pop is often trashy and vapid, but there is so much independent artistic work out there which we have more access to now that the internet allows more freedom than when music was entirely controlled by record companies. There is so much out there that most people aren't aware of at all, but is intelligent and deep.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
finally! now we can have a new hope for our youth. all that rockin and rollin was doing them no good. no good i tell ya. :sage:

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You folks are mentioning mostly glam, punk, grunge, heavy metal, rock and roll, while I listen to alternative, indie, experimental, instrumental, post-punk, post-rock. Hence I have no idea why rock is "dead" :shock:
I guess I'm not a purist when it comes to rock, or music, or any form of arts.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There was a bit of garage rock revival in the early 2000's that wasn't all bad. Can that be a death gurgle?

Oh yes. I did love the Strokes' 1st album.There's also been lots of great indie rock since the 80's and 90's.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, it wasn't.

It was February 3, 1959.

The Day the Music Died - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Granted, there are a lot of references to events and musicians of the next decade in that song. I'm pretty sure the "quartet" is the Beatles, and the "joker" is Bob Dylan.

The Wikipedia article offers no argument, it only states that as "fact." The Wikipedia article, at any rate, is wrong. My argument doesn't fall against a page that offers utterly no argument, only assertion.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's a matter of opinion and not the topic of this thread.

I hadn't really thought of this in terms of "rock is dead"; however, the last few years have seen such a dearth of good rock music that it seems like radio stations are being forced to scrape the bottom of the barrel. The best rock song these days wouldn't even approach the same level as the worst Kiss song.

People have been complaining about the stuff played on the radio for a looooong time now.

From 1972, hippie-Jesus-Freak Larry Norman's Reader's Digest off of the "Only Visiting This Planet" album (1972):

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People have been complaining about the stuff played on the radio for a looooong time now.

From 1972, hippie-Jesus-Freak Larry Norman's Reader's Digest off of the "Only Visiting This Planet" album (1972):

Jesus freaks are always complaining about something. And by the way, 1972 was an amazing year for rock music.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jesus freaks are always complaining about something. And by the way, 1972 was an amazing year for rock music.
Aye, but on the other hand, I liked the lyrics

Jimi took an overdose
Janis followed so close
The whole music scene and the bands
are pretty comatose

and

I don't dig the radio
I hate what the charts pick
Rock and Roll may not be dead
but it's gettin' sick

which kind of encapsulate the point of the OP : and *forty years ago*.
Some things never change, was my point.

Happy Turkey Day, btw.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Grunge. Nirvana.

IMO Nirvana was really not that good. Much noise.

That was a last gasp. Then the labels had to beat grunge with a dead horse and we got a hundred uninspired knockoff bands.

Ha. I first read the OP as:
Rock did not die of old age. It was murdered by Gene Simmons of the rock group Kiss. ;)

Anyway, commercialized pop is often trashy and vapid, but there is so much independent artistic work out there which we have more access to now that the internet allows more freedom than when music was entirely controlled by record companies. There is so much out there that most people aren't aware of at all, but is intelligent and deep.

Kiss was not horribly bad and certainly not the end of rock music. They were late 70s and early 80s. Def Leppard, Aerosmith, Winger, Stone Temple Pilots, Led Zepplin, Dream Theatre, Motley Crue, Faith No More. These were good bands.

Independent artistic work is not very relevant if nobody ever hears about it.