• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movies & Shows everyone seems to love so much and you can't understand why!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
North by northwest
Rear winduw
Dial m for murder
Heroes
American Apprentice
Angel
Torchwood
Most episodes of Doctor Who
Smallville
Eureka
Continuum

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Pretty little liars
Heroes
Greys Anatomy
Scrubs
How I Met your Mother
X-factor
American Idol
Silver Linings Playbook

But I love love love love Friends

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Later seasons of house
Breaking bad
Inception
(slight diversion) the joker from Nolan's Batman.
DragonballZ
Superman
Clerks
Chasing amy
The shining
Star trek (the entire thing prior to the new films minus the excellent character trio of spock, kirk and bones... Of course)
Fight club

(I could go on for ages here)

Screw you!!!

Also, although the new films were good and did every Star Trek fan a favour by reviving the franchise it destroyed the Star Trek universe as we know it and worse it showed the whole world that Hollywood for some reason lacks or don't hire good writers.

They had to bring back Khan. C'mon!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Screw you!!!

Also, although the new films were good and did every Star Trek fan a favour by reviving the franchise it destroyed the Star Trek universe as we know it and worse it showed the whole world that Hollywood for some reason lacks or don't hire good writers.

yeah, if you're not hot for Worf, you must be a closet Rigellian!

But I love love love love Friends
:sick:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Birdman

I watched that movie in bewilderment and completely incapable of predicting any character behavior and interaction, which is something I rarely experience.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
yeah, if you're not hot for Worf, you must be a closet Rigellian!

I completely missed the joke. Should I feel miserable that I didn't get a Star Trek reference joke? :cry:

Hey did you like the new movies? I did actually like them including the one in which they desperately brought back Khan but I am disappointed that they ruined the story line and they had to - I repeat - desperately bring back Khan.

David Cumberbatch though did justice to the character. It was as if the role was written for him.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I completely missed the joke. Should I feel miserable that I didn't get a Star Trek reference joke? :cry:

Hey did you like the new movies? I did actually like them including the one in which they desperately brought back Khan but I am disappointed that they ruined the story line and they had to - I repeat - desperately bring back Khan.

Reboot = Great
Kahn movie = okay on its own merits, terrible as a rehash of the original Kahn movie.

David Cumberbatch though did justice to the character. It was as if the role was written for him.

Who is that, the sickly diseased love child of David Spade and Benedict Cumberbatch?

Maybe we should cast a Chris Farley imitator as Kirk.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Farscape
That stands out because I'm usually into the nerd genres, but it had a fake, erratic feeling for me and I couldn't connect to it.

Doctor Who (new)
I loved Tom Baker and would watch all the old Doctor Who's with my brother growing up. I could probably get into the new ones, but some of my least favorite people got obsessed with it, so I somewhat associate it as the show for bratty, conceited little girls. I know it's irrational and unfair of me, but there it is. I'd watch it with a friend if they cared about it, though.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
scandal
the walking dead
american horror story
game of thrones
gray's anatomy
breaking bad
house of cards

... I guess you can say that I'm not generally a drama fan and I'm not very patient... if I can't find something that catches me in the first couple of episodes fuck it. I do/did enjoy the wire, true detective and orange is the new black though, so I suppose I can't say that I completely disagree with everyone :shrug:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Screw you!!!

At least a modification to the scanner array didn't magically prevent everything from happening though.

Plus if Khan was the price of having Benedict in the film, I gladly pay it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
At least a modification to the scanner array didn't magically prevent everything from happening though.

Plus if Khan was the price of having Benedict in the film, I gladly pay it.

Frankly, I was deeply disappointed that Into Darkness wasn't a spin-off/continuation of Spock's Brain, as Wrath of Khan was to Space Seed.

What would Captain Kirk do without Spock's brain?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Big Bang Theory.

Someone already mentioned it toward the beginning of the thread, but this was the first show that came to mind when I read the OP. In fact, some of my colleagues and I fell into critiquing it after work today. It is implausible, relies on lowest common denominator humor, and totally misses the boat on what shuld be a good opportunity to present good (i.e. real) science to the viewing public. Might as well watch reruns of Gilligan's Island.

Nico_D

The Lost One
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Farscape
That stands out because I'm usually into the nerd genres, but it had a fake, erratic feeling for me and I couldn't connect to it.

Oh, I take that almost as an insult! (No, not really.)

I'm actually just now rewatching Farscape at the end of season 2 and to me, it's as golden as ever. I can understand it doesn't appeal to everybody, it has a lot of quirkiness and weirdness in it but the humor and especially the characterization hits me just the right way. I think the characters in Farscape are more real than in many other shows I've seen.

Nicodemus

Big Bang Theory.

Someone already mentioned it toward the beginning of the thread, but this was the first show that came to mind when I read the OP. In fact, some of my colleagues and I fell into critiquing it after work today. It is implausible, relies on lowest common denominator humor, and totally misses the boat on what shuld be a good opportunity to present good (i.e. real) science to the viewing public. Might as well watch reruns of Gilligan's Island.
In one word: Chuck Lorre.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Oh and Avatar... It was too long, and when everyone stood up and gaving like a standing ovation I just wanted to sprint for the exit

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Big Bang Theory.

I always thought that the deal with BBT was to present "genius" in a manner that was not actually alienating to the average viewer. Like, you throw enough entry-level popsci references to Einstein and quantum physics, and Joe Blow can feel like he's watching "smart television" while still being able to follow the jokes.

I feel a lot of shows with supposedly brilliant protagonist suffer from this problem. Sherlock and House are examples that come to mind immediately. Beyond the challenge of making genius accessible, is the technical difficulty presented by the medium of episodic storytelling. I'd imagine that having to come up with a problem that is both resolvable in a 20 or 45 minute timeframe, while being complex enough that it would take a seemingly brilliant mind to get to the bottom of it is a pretty demanding feat for a writing room. More serialized programs that allow for more protracted arcs between setup-->resolution can permit a world and characters with realistic shades and ambiguities to evolve, as well as the time a viewer needs to become invested in really understanding them. Such that when Walter White manages to get his money and the rest of his meth stash back from another drug lord armed with nothing but a bag of fulminated mercury, it's awesome rather than gimmicky.

C.J.Woolf

respect the brick
MBTI Type
INTP
Beyond the challenge of making genius accessible, is the technical difficulty presented by the medium of episodic storytelling. I'd imagine that having to come up with a problem that is both resolvable in a 20 or 45 minute timeframe, while being complex enough that it would take a seemingly brilliant mind to get to the bottom of it is a pretty demanding feat for a writing room. More serialized programs that allow for more protracted arcs between setup-->resolution can permit a world and characters with realistic shades and ambiguities to evolve, as well as the time a viewer needs to become invested in really understanding them. Such that when Walter White manages to get his money and the rest of his meth stash back from another drug lord armed with nothing but a bag of fulminated mercury, it's awesome rather than gimmicky.

You bring to mind the miniseries of the John Le Carre novels Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley's People. Some people thought they had slow-paced plots, but I thought it was necessary to show how George Smiley solved the mysteries, step by step.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh and Avatar... It was too long, and when everyone stood up and gaving like a standing ovation I just wanted to sprint for the exit

Avatar was a boring, predictable piece of crap. It was a beautiful, boring, predictable piece of crap, but it was still a boring, predictable piece of crap. I could predict every single plot development in that movie at least 30 minutes in advance.

I don't have an issue with the hero's journey, but for God's sake, put a fresh spin on it. James Cameron has no fucking clue how to do subtlety; all his scripts are filled with cliche characters, cartoon heroes and villains. (It's one reason I think Alien is a superior film to Aliens, although I wouldn't call the sequel a bad movie; it still had more originality in five minutes than Avatar did throughout its whole runtime.) The characters in the Star Wars prequels are nuanced in comparison.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You bring to mind the miniseries of the John Le Carre novels Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley's People. Some people thought they had slow-paced plots, but I thought it was necessary to show how George Smiley solved the mysteries, step by step.

Semi-related: I need to finally get around to reading Le Carre. I've read a shit ton of Graham Greene, so I always forget I haven't actually read any of his stuff. I suppose that's the espionage literature equivalent of saying, "Well, I've heard Aftermath, so I guess that covers me for Abbey Road." :laugh:

Avatar was a boring, predictable piece of crap. It was a beautiful, boring, predictable piece of crap, but it was still a boring, predictable piece of crap. I could predict every single plot development in that movie at least 30 minutes in advance.

I don't have an issue with the hero's journey, but for God's sake, put a fresh spin on it.

Fresh spin? It was in 3D and grossed billions of dollars, didn't it? James Cameron is a blockbuster filmmaker not an artist, for fucks sake.