• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movies & Shows everyone seems to love so much and you can't understand why!

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
:yesss:
Unfortunately the same guy went and made Source Code, a 32 million worth piece of crap.
In Beyond the Lighted Stage Jack Black talks about rocket sauce and how some bands have enough for several albums and others use up all of it on just one song. I think directors could be the same way. :D

Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes seem to be hoes for Gravity. What the heck, according to them, Moon is worse than... 22 Jump Street. I swear I've lost faith in them.
:shock:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pulp_Fiction_cover.jpg

Absolutely hated it

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pulp_Fiction_cover.jpg

Absolutely hated it

Is it a crime that I never finished this one? :freaked:
Everyone seems to be a fan of it and while I acknowledge very much that it's a classic, I cannot lie that I am absolutely bored by it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Unfortunately the same guy went and made Source Code, a 32 million worth piece of crap.

HEY!!! I like(d) that movie, although it was rough in spots and had some flaws.

I also prefer the bittersweet ending (i.e., edit out the last 5-7 minutes).

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
HEY!!! I like(d) that movie, although it was rough in spots and had some flaws.

I also prefer the bittersweet ending (i.e., edit out the last 5-7 minutes).

Sorry Jennifer :freaked:
I just thought it was not at all original, quite clumsy and blockbuster wannabe, considering the much bigger budget he had :cry:

But I can see why it's entertaining.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry Jennifer :freaked:
I just thought it was not at all original, quite clumsy and blockbuster wannabe, considering the much bigger budget he had :cry:

But I can see why it's entertaining.

I actually found it interesting rather than "entertaining," but I agree it felt kind of "small" in some ways. Which is too bad, as he had a decent cast. Considering what he has made in the past, I don't know if he has a "blockbuster" mentality.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I actually found it interesting rather than "entertaining," but I agree it felt kind of "small" in some ways. Which is too bad, as he had a decent cast. Considering what he has made in the past, I don't know if he has a "blockbuster" mentality.

I wished he had came up with something more original and felt disappointed as I had seen the same concept in other movies made before, Dark City, Timecrime, Dreamscape, The Cell. He's a talented guy...
I would be very happy if he sets his mind on staying indie. Darren Aronofsky broke my heart by making 2 big budgets and blockbuster-ish movies.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wished he had came up with something more original and felt disappointed as I had seen the same concept in other movies made before, Dark City, Timecrime, Dreamscape, The Cell. He's a talented guy...
I would be very happy if he sets his mind on staying indie. Darren Aronofsky broke my heart by making 2 big budgets and blockbuster-ish movies.

Different sensibilities... *shrug*

Dark City is a favorite of mine, especially in terms of tone -- perfectly captured. Part of the reason I watch it is for the ambiance. I haven't seen the other movies you reference, and I think The Cell was usually dissed.... so I never watched it.

I actually saw value in some parts of Aronofsky's "Noah," but at the same time I felt like it was one of his weaker movies overall. I don't think I'd call Black Swan a "blockbuster," I was honestly shocked at all the hype; I happen to love that movie, yet I have no idea why it appealed to mainstream who I thought would have been unsettled by it.

(It was rather like Inception -- I like it, despite its flaws, but was shocked by all the hype.)

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Different sensibilities... *shrug*

Dark City is a favorite of mine, especially in terms of tone -- perfectly captured. Part of the reason I watch it is for the ambiance. I haven't seen the other movies you reference, and I think The Cell was usually dissed.... so I never watched it.

I actually saw value in some parts of Aronofsky's "Noah," but at the same time I felt like it was one of his weaker movies overall. I don't think I'd call Black Swan a "blockbuster," I was honestly shocked at all the hype; I happen to love that movie, yet I have no idea why it appealed to mainstream who I thought would have been unsettled by it.

(It was rather like Inception -- I like it, despite its flaws, but was shocked by all the hype.)

Oh I love Dark City.

The Cell is my all time personal favorite. I guess it's the matter of taste. I thought J-Lo was terrible, as always. But the idea and the visuals are unforgettable. Some might find it disturbing and random. I thought it was brilliant. The same guy made the beautifully crafted fairtytale-like The Fall. :wubbie:

I guess Aronofsky didn't plan for Black Swan to be such a mainstream artsy piece, yet he spent only $13 mil on it and earned back almost... $330 mil. He lost his humble yet ambitious indie-ness mojo. It's funny how his weakest films are the most popular and beneficial. Being his big fan and having watched all of his previous works, I never touched Noah :( Should I? I hate it when my favorite directors "do it big and loud".

Now you remind me of Inception. I thought it was visually beautiful, taking into account that Nolan used little to none CGI in things he does. But yeah, I don't get the hype. The a dream within a dream has been done times before. It made me think of the anime Paprika and, again, Dreamscape right away. Marion Cotillard character was painful to watch, and Ellen Page annoyingly did all the plot explaining for the audience because Nolan was afraid his story is so intricate that audience might not be able to understand it. The movie was pretty cool... until the skiing scene. Nolan couldn't decide if he was going to make it a scifi or a Bond movie. Visual arts students love its "originality" though. I feel sad and sorry for the older, lower budget, much more original movies that never made it to the big screen.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh [MENTION=22039]Arctic Hysteria[/MENTION], did you see what Jones' next picture is? I forgot about this:
Pacific Rim Composer To Score Duncan Jones' Warcraft Movie

I have no idea what to expect -- a potential blockbuster, and at least he shows some interest in human elements in his past work, but it could really go either way (probably ranging from generally good to really really bad).

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pulp_Fiction_cover.jpg

Absolutely hated it

BLASPHEMER!!

Fabienne: Whose motorcycle is this?
Butch: It's a chopper, baby.
Fabienne: Whose chopper is this?
Butch: It's Zed's.
Fabienne: Who's Zed?
Butch: Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.

Mane

Permabanned
Most of cringe comedy:
  • The office
  • Curb your enthusiasm
  • Arrested development
  • It's always sunny in Philadelphia

Honorable mentions:
  • King of the hill - The most interesting thing about the show is solving the mystery of why people are watching it.
  • Pokemon - fun as a source of memes, but the actual show was like watching a Let's Play for a mediocre console game.
  • Labyrinth - I am probably just missing the nostalgia factor other people are associating with it, but it doesn't do much for me.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh c'monnnnn [MENTION=22067]riva[/MENTION]. Don't make me cry.

Raffaella

bon vivant
The few that I can think of that everyone enjoyed:

• Les Miserables (2012). I almost started crying, not because it was heart-wrenching but 'cause of Javert's singing ("Stop! Stop! Please make it stop! Ohhh, won't someone think of the children?!")
  • Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007), I expected much better from the director that gave us Serpico and Dog Day Afternoon, what a let down this film was; it takes itself too seriously, was completely humourless. I found it hard to sit through.
  • Heat (1995), I wanted to like this, I really did but it, too, took itself seriously. It was almost comical.

Also, science-fiction films like Avatar, Gravity and Tron: Legacy are designed to be watched once and in IMAX theatres. I watched Gravity in IMAX and there were moments in which I wanted to leap into the screen 'cause it was oh so pretty but I didn't think much of the subpar storyline. I wasn't impressed by Gravity, the character was one-dimensional, but it had good elements regarding survival and spirituality, so it was worth watching.

I feel the same about Sex and the City and Lost. I'd only watch them and I got paid to.

I was the same, I refused to watch Sex and the City or Girls however everyone kept gushing about them so I decided to check them out and I found that I enjoyed them a lot despite both t.v series having the two most insufferable, self-absorbed, selfish and entitled characters in any series I've ever seen (entitlement is more prevalent in Girls). Perhaps, it's because I get tired of TV series centred around men that I enjoy series from women's perspectives (regardless of how obnoxious they can be) but I felt the same with Orange is the New Black (though it's better than both aforementioned series combined) and Bridesmaids. It's funny, though, since IRL people only praise about them whereas online I've only seen people complain about them.

Miller's Crossing :shrug:

Tommy, Tommy, you can't do this, you don't bump guys!

Awww, I loved this movie from the soundtrack to Gabriel Bryne's face expressions to the end scene. I thought it was perfect (not as perfect as A Serious Man, though).

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The few that I can think of that everyone enjoyed:

Les Miserables (2012). I almost started crying, not because it was heart-wrenching but 'cause of Javert's singing ("Stop! Stop! Please make it stop! Ohhh, won't someone think of the children?!")
I really like this show, especially the music, but I agree - Javert was completely miscast in the movie version. I didn't like the singing of the actress who played adult Cosette either. Philip Quast was much better as Javert in the 10th anniversary show. It was a nice touch in the movie, though, to have the iconic Colm Wilkinson (original London cast) play the Bishop.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
  • Heat (1995), I wanted to like this, I really did but it, too, took itself seriously. It was almost comical.
One of my favorites. :wubbie: The actors could actually shoot, move, and reload properly, use cover/concealment, and position themselves to have overlapping fields of fire. Michael Mann even understands that the engine block is the only part of a car you can truly consider cover. That means a lot to a nerd like me. :D