• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movies & Shows everyone seems to love so much and you can't understand why!

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
THE SIMPSONS.

I absolutely love the first nine or ten seasons. They're pure comedy gold -- eminently quotable and legitimately hilarious. But the show seriously stopped being good for SIXTEEN years. How does a show that is consistently unfunny LAST that long? Its humor is crass and infantile, its storylines fail to make you care about any of the characters, and it relies on pop-culture and current events references and celebrity cameos to keep people watching, and somehow, it works. People are apparently watching, because it keeps getting renewed. I don't understand it.

I watched the latest "Treehouse of Horror" episode a couple weeks ago, to see if it was still terrible. It was. I don't think I laughed once.

OneLovelyAdventure

Gryffindor Prefect
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not a fan of Modern Family at all. I just can't get into it. Everyone always goes on about how funny it is, and I just can't sit through it.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
THE SIMPSONS.

I absolutely love the first nine or ten seasons. They're pure comedy gold -- eminently quotable and legitimately hilarious. But the show seriously stopped being good for SIXTEEN years. How does a show that is consistently unfunny LAST that long? Its humor is crass and infantile, its storylines fail to make you care about any of the characters, and it relies on pop-culture and current events references and celebrity cameos to keep people watching, and somehow, it works. People are apparently watching, because it keeps getting renewed. I don't understand it.

I watched the latest "Treehouse of Horror" episode a couple weeks ago, to see if it was still terrible. It was. I don't think I laughed once.

Not sure that disqualifies you from not liking The Simpsons, maybe.

I as well found the 2nd through 9ish Seasons, "pure comedy god." So much gold, and so much pureishness, I basically just write off the garbage they've been doing sense.

Nothing will take those memories from me!!! Not even 49 Seasons!! Well maybe that would :(

Nicodemus

THE SIMPSONS.

I don't know anyone with any sense who disagrees with this view. I think the reason it's still running is that it has become a traditional thing, a tv habit of sorts.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Watched Hurt Locker.

Hated it.

Fuck you Oscars!

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
TV series - Friends.

I enjoyed it. Different strokes . . .

My brother in law highly recommends friends and I was planning on watching it next. I hope you are wrong.

To win an Oscar for best picture? I don't see why so. Maybe for directing and acting but definitely not for the movie.

Urghhh!

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I forgot to mention: nightcrawler

Again for acting - Oscar deserving
For the movie - No way

I just don't get Oscars anymore when it comes to best picture.

This one has got nominated for best original screenplay. Yeah no way man. If they added 15 more minutes to the ending with ANY FUCKING outcome then it would have deserved an oscar nominee.

Jaguar

My brother in law highly recommends friends and I was planning on watching it next. I hope you are wrong.

Well, if you enjoy watching a group of mindless twits engage in mindless activities, it'll work for you. :happy2:

MBTI Type
INTJ
THE SIMPSONS.

I hear this a lot, although not quite to the level of hate you threw down. But I think it might be a case of, as Voltaire said, "perfect is the enemy of good". I agree that The Simpsons was on a different level from seasons 3-10 or so...possibly the best show in the history of television for those years. Which means that the quality can drop, even a good deal, and still be above average. I think that's the case here. The Simpsons isn't as good as it was, so people say it sucks.

I contend that if the Simpsons premiered in say, 2000 with season 11, and ran for the last 15 years, most of the people who liked it before but say it sucks now would be praising it. It's not the best show on TV anymore, but it's still wittier and cleverer than the vast majority of episodic comedy on TV.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I will never understand the masochism of "Game of Thrones" viewers.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I forgot to mention: nightcrawler

Again for acting - Oscar deserving
For the movie - No way

I just don't get Oscars anymore when it comes to best picture.

This one has got nominated for best original screenplay. Yeah no way man. If they added 15 more minutes to the ending with ANY FUCKING outcome then it would have deserved an oscar nominee.

It had an outcome. I think the ending was the point

I considered it a pretty amazing performance by Jake Gyllenhaal... one of his best. That being said, I'm not sure if I feel inspired to ever watch it again and probably shouldn't have bought it on bluray sight unseen.

----

I have free HBO for three months and am sitting there looking at the entry for Epic 3D. It's in 3D. I could watch it. But I have no desire to. of course, I don't think it did particularly great.

I saw The Fault in Our Stars a month or two back. Woodley was awesome. SOME of the scenes were interesting. But the movie as a whole was kind of a mess. I'm not sure why it was so big.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Arrested Development. And, no, it's not because I didnt get the jokes.

Passacaglia

I don't understand what the appeal of the awards are -- the Oscars, the Academy...isn't there another one? Granted, I've never actually sat down and tried to watch one so I might be missing out on something amazing. :shrug:

It's not going to change your life or anything, and if you binge watch too many episodes you'll start to get sick of the characters, but it's popular for a reason. I haven't seen an episode in years, but just last week I texted a friend a line from Friends -- no preamble, no context -- and he knew which episode and scene I was referring to, and he replied with the following line. :)

I will never understand the masochism of "Game of Thrones" viewers.
It's a taste acquired from years and years of books and shows where the protagonists never ever die, except maybe at the very end. ;)

Jet Stream

Permabanned
MBTI Type
istp
Enneagram
gvf
Movies- too many to list, though Harry potter deserves a mention. Contemptible garbage imo tbh

Shows- American Dad, South Park, Criminal Minds, Orange is the new Black (watchable but just too overrated for its own good), Tosh.0, Game of Thrones, the later seasons of House, Bates Motel (liked among some people I know, unsure of widespread acclaim).

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Later seasons of house
Breaking bad
Inception
(slight diversion) the joker from Nolan's Batman.
DragonballZ
Superman
Clerks
Chasing amy
The shining
Star trek (the entire thing prior to the new films minus the excellent character trio of spock, kirk and bones... Of course)
Fight club

(I could go on for ages here)

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
How I Met Your Mother
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Titanic

MBTI Type
INTJ
I want to devote a whole post to just this show, because I find it so utterly unfunny and unlikeable despite people whom I otherwise share likes with going bonkers over it.

Broad City.