• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movies & Shows everyone seems to love so much and you can't understand why!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm familiar with the term.

I know, I wasn't attempting to explain that term, but rather, the reason I question liking The Simpson's when it is so over-blown, and, as you state below, contains guest celebrity appearances such as James Taylor and Jack Stripe. Sheesh. I was even tempted to use the celebrity guest appearances as another example, in contrast to the ones on Family Guy which are entirely humor based and not "Wow! Lookie look! We're the Simpson's! And we have guest celebrities even though we're just a cartoon, (ahem, the most successful cartoon in history)!" It is ridiculously self-congratulatory.

Deep Space Homer, the 'homer in outer space' episode has a bunch of funny moments, and I liked the James Taylor guest appearance. It definitely does not stand out in my memory as a bad episode. There were still four seasons left before it seriously started to wane in quality.

Season nine had episodes like The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson, and the one where carnies take over the Simpson house, those are classic episodes.

Season ten had the episode with Kim Bassinger and Alec Baldwin, cringe central.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong.

:)

Aesthetic opinions aren't scientific anyway.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm familiar with the term.

Deep Space Homer, the 'homer in outer space' episode has a bunch of funny moments, and I liked the James Taylor guest appearance. It certainly does not stand out in my memory as a bad episode. There were still four seasons left before it seriously started to wane in quality.

Season nine had episodes like The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson, and the one where carnies take over the Simpson house, those are classic episodes.

Season ten had the episode with Kim Bassinger and Alec Baldwin, cringe central.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong.

:)

As far funny goes, I never said the Simpson's wasn't funny. I like the part where Homer called Bart a "train wreck" while Bart looked at him in open-mouthed astonishment. Classic Simpson's - the kind that I miss.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know, I wasn't attempting to explain that term, but rather, the reason I question liking The Simpson's when it is so over-blown, and, as you state below, contains guest celebrity appearances such as James Taylor and Jack Stripe. Sheesh. I was even tempted to use the celebrity guest appearances as another example, in contrast to the ones on Family Guy which are entirely humor based and not "Wow! Lookie look! We're the Simpson's! And we have guest celebrities even though we're just a cartoon, (ahem, the most successful cartoon in history)!" It is ridiculously self-congratulatory.

Eh, celebrity guest appearances are fine as long as they're not a main selling point of the episode, as they almost always are now. They can be used to comedic affect.

The James Taylor appearance, I always liked that part even before I knew who he was.

As far funny goes, I never said the Simpson's wasn't funny. I like the part where Homer called Bart a "train wreck" while Bart looked at him in open-mouthed astonishment. Classic Simpson's - the kind that I miss.

Ahh, ok.

MBTI Type
INTJ

The worst episode of The Simpsons is better than the best episode of Family Guy.

93JC

The Godfather and The Godfather Part II, but I understand why. I don't agree, but I understand.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I once attempted to watch Eastenders on PBS but it was soooo bad. I hate to pick on the British, but Dr. Who is also terrible.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Tosh.0.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I once attempted to watch Eastenders on PBS but it was soooo bad. I hate to pick on the British, but Dr. Who is also terrible.

Yeah it's why I decided long ago to watch hardly any television whatsoever.

Fortunately the future of viewing is in pick and choose at any time, starting with the invention of the internet.

Raffaella

bon vivant
- Breaking Bad. I can see why people love it 'cause it's a well written greek tragedy and all but the characters just don't appeal to me. I don't know why yet I have rabid fans jumping down my throat insisting that I'm stupid and don't understand it. What's not to get? It wasn't created by David Lynch, it's pretty straightforward. It just doesn't affect me. :shrug:

- The Walking Dead lacked good characters, too. One-dimensional, the whole lot of them.

- Personally, I love British comedies. The Office (UK) is far superior to The Office (US) which is incredibly dull in comparison.

- I also really dislike Breakfast at Tiffany's. Was I supposed to be romanced or something? It bored me and the main character is too annoying. I didn't care for her or the idiot that loved her.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Transformers movies.

And I don't know why but I keep on watching new ones as they come out. But at the end of every movie I'm always like "meh".

Also agree with [MENTION=5837]93JC[/MENTION] on the godfather movies. I understand that they were well made and everything (you dont get top rank on imdb for no reason after all). But I never cared much about those movies.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Transformers movies.

And I don't know why but I keep on watching new ones as they come out. But at the end of every movie I'm always like "meh".

I loathe Transformers movies, and luckily I've met only people who feel the same.

supersleuth

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
Mean Girls and Doctor Who.

I'll give doctor who some credit, though. I get why people like it. I just can't get into the cheesy sci-fi.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dexter.

The first season was entertaining, but I've lost all of my interest to continue.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
lost in translation... tried to watch it 3 times and fell asleep within the first 15 min each time

the godfather... too slow moving for my attention span... started researching the mafia on the internet and got lost

star wars... too much drama and the prequels were horrendous, though I LOVE spaceballs :doh:

gravity/into the wild/127 hours... I hate survival type movies with people who I consider to be idiots (into the wild :thelook:) and gravity seemed like a super lame take on bradbury's story kaleidoscope

glee... I don't have anything to say except for it's hideous

lost... kind of boring

heroes... only first season worth watching

the walking dead... I hate everybody

and many, many more... I really don't like drama all that much :laugh:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Black Swan - The idea was interesting and I think there was a lot of potential there, but IMHO it ended up as the cinematic equivalent of a Lady Gaga concert.

Edit: I forgot The Notebook

COMPLETELY agreed on the notebook. I'm not a huge romantic movie fan to begin with. But I was finally literally frozen into my barracks and the girls all put it on.. some of my dude soldiers were even saying I should watch it. I did. It sucked. I definitely did not get it.

7 Classic Movies You Didn't Know Were Rip-Offs | Cracked.com

Black swan was better as an anime imo.

Game of Thrones

Aahh c'mon.. :)
It's probably not a good series unless you like medieval stuff to begin with.. but it's just very, very well written and the world building is so specific that you really can immerse yourself into it entirely, right down to what people in different regions eat, and traditions and such. Seeing it in action on TV is just like seeing the grand canyon in person vs in a picture. Looks the exact same as the picture, but it's far more awe-inspiring.

LOST. The TV show. Nope, don't get it at all, the show was aptly named for me.
Charmed. All my sisters + mom love that show.. I just do NOT get it. Terrible acting, cheesy story lines, no redeeming qualities, stupid excuses (as if you need any) for skimpy clothing, forced love stories... uugh. I think Halloweentown isn't as cheesy as Charmed.
Sex in the City. ... and the city.. I'm drawing a blank at the moment. Whichever.
Golden Girls. I know a LOT of people that super love this show, and while I guess it had a few funny moments, I just don't get it.

I can't think of many movies right now... But I'm super picky about some types of movies. I watch movies for entertainment, if they get too dark or sad in off ways I just can't handle it.
Like Requiem for a dream.. a good movie, admittedly, but I won't watch it again. Movies like that, American History X, Menace to Society or whatever, a Clockwork Orange... i just can't watch those sort of dark, frowny-faced films. I don't get the take-home from that.. I find it difficult to enjoy movies like that.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Like Requiem for a dream.. a good movie, admittedly, but I won't watch it again. Movies like that, American History X, Menace to Society or whatever, a Clockwork Orange... i just can't watch those sort of dark, frowny-faced films. I don't get the take-home from that.. I find it difficult to enjoy movies like that.

Frowny-faced films are my forte :smile: Though I have to say I was not fascinated by Clockwork Orange.

I feel the same about Sex and the City and Lost. I'd only watch them and I got paid to.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Watched half of alfred hitcock's read window. Was too bored to finish it. Wow the main actor Is such a bore. But i do understand that he probably have an appeal - i am talking about his casual convo style - has its appeal at times.

Dexter.

The first season was entertaining, but I've lost all of my interest to continue.

Second season was probably the best. I love it. He plays a cat and mouse game where he plays both the cat and the mouse.