• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Merit of Lana Del Rey

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Bottom-of-the-barrel hipster crap, either way.

Oh look another hipster who denies being a hipster who has about zero knowledge of Lana del Rey musically or artistically who enjoys parroting gossip about the "queen of Urban Outfitters"...Ultraviolence will highly likely be nominated for album of the year and is the first number one pop album in forty to fifty years to be recorded live with a hand held microphone and a seven piece band, but then again you probably don't even know anything about music.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=11809]Hive[/MENTION]

Burn.

Hive doesn't know anything about music

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh look another hipster who denies being a hipster who has about zero knowledge of Lana del Rey musically or artistically who enjoys parroting gossip about the "queen of Urban Outfitters"...Ultraviolence will highly likely be nominated for album of the year and is the first number one pop album in forty to fifty years to be recorded live with a hand held microphone and a seven piece band, but then again you probably don't even know anything about music.

i hope for your sake that someone on her publicity team is paying you for this :wacko:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
i hope for your sake that someone on her publicity team is paying you for this :wacko:

The pretentiousness in the air is so thick I could cut it with a knife.

- - - Updated - - -

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

you are making way too many assumptions about people. accusing someone of not knowing anything about music because of their opinion on one person is a pretty pretentious attitude to have.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
you are making way too many assumptions about people. accusing someone of not knowing anything about music because of their opinion on one person is a pretty pretentious attitude to have.

Nah you see if the person simply said I don't like her music or she doesn't speak to me, that's one thing, but instead the person has to pose with the condescending trendyfuck attitude that this is "bottom of the barrel hipster garbage" while not even being able to note the musical merit...mocking Lana del Rey is pretty much poseur trash behavior. I am a real fan, not on her publicity team, and I get sick of it.

It's the equivalent of doing things or not because it's fashionable, or anti fashion, instead of just saying well no not my cup of tea.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nah you see if the person simply said I don't like her music or she doesn't speak to me, that's one thing, but instead the person has to pose with the condescending trendyfuck attitude that this is "bottom of the barrel hipster garbage" while not even being able to note the musical merit...mocking Lana del Rey is pretty much poseur trash behavior. I am a real fan, not on her publicity team, and I get sick of it.

It's the equivalent of doing things or not because it's fashionable, or anti fashion, instead of just saying well no not my cup of tea.

dqHoY14.gif

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Im not getting what your point is other than you also belong to the Lana hater club. Her fan base is intense and you either get it or you don't, but some people criticize her without even have had listened to her music or understanding her relevance musically...and it's fine to not like her. I mean don't you mostly prefer rap and hip hop, whatever. But calling her bottom of the barrel when she is musically talented is simply incorrect, and calling her a hipster isn't a real reason. Usually people who call LDR a hipster are hipsters themselves in the most insecure lemmings sense of the word, rather than the artistic or socially aware or relevant sense of the word. My ISTP was pointing out just how misused and pointless the word hipster has become because it has so many definitions. Originally hipsters were people like Andy Warhols Factory and the beatniks who came before them.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Im not getting what your point is other than you also belong to the Lana hater club. Her fan base is intense and you either get it or you don't, but some people criticize her without even have had listened to her music or understanding her relevance musically...and it's fine to not like her. I mean don't you mostly prefer rap and hip hop, whatever. But calling her bottom of the barrel when she is musically talented is simply incorrect, and calling her a hipster isn't a real reason. Usually people who call LDR a hipster are hipsters themselves in the most insecure lemmings sense of the word, rather than the artistic or socially aware or relevant sense of the word. My ISTP was pointing out just how misused and pointless the word hipster has become because it has so many definitions. Originally hipsters were people like Andy Warhols Factory and the beatniks who came before them.

i listen to all kinds of music, and don't find her talented or think that there is very much to "get." i don't care to argue over semantics about the origins of the word "hipster," but it seems to me that lana's image was pretty much created to target the hipster market. a lot of people who dislike her probably fit that label too, but only because most non-hipsters probably don't know or care who she is.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
i listen to all kinds of music, and don't find her talented or think that there is very much to "get." i don't care to argue over semantics about the origins of the word "hipster," but it seems to me that lana's image was pretty much created to target the hipster market. a lot of people who dislike her probably fit that label too, but only because most non-hipsters probably don't know or care who she is.

Look here friend, I discovered Lana when she was making her own.videos on YouTube for unreleased songs I doubt you have even seen, and I am like wow this woman says something to me and my aesthetic and interests. Then Born to Die was released and it was tres cool to hate on her, since she was no longer Lizzy Grant. When you have listened to Ultraviolence from beginning to end in its entirety and can comment on it's musical components, let me know. Until then I will presume you think it's cool for certain artists to have a stylist, as long as it's your own aesthetic. If you think there isn't much to get I doubt you even really have listened to anything but released singles from Born to Die, and incidentally, I don't hate that album, I love Off to the Races and National Anthem, but Ultraviolence is the more mature cohesive album and will be nominated for album of the year. Just watch.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I just think I don't I don't give fuck about anyone who exists hipster or not. I don't need defend a person's honor i just want to join the fight damnit!!!!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Marmotinis Handy Dandy Lana Guide

So that you don't look like a mouth breathing hipster to her fans.

1) The Big Sleep. Maltese Falcon. Mildred Pierce. All the big film noir of the 40s, maybe even Brick.

2)Speaking of high school, Lolita by Nabokov

3) American pop culture 101: patriotism, capitalism, materialism, Marilyn Monroe, John Wayne, James Dean

4) Femme fatale as a literary construct.

5) the archetype of women as whore/prostitute/mistress in various forms

6) Los Angeles, irrational love of Los Angeles and it's cultural significance and history

7) white trash, trailer parks, cheap motels, romanticism of the teenaged runaway or free spirit (See: Hick)

8) alcoholism and drug addiction as an intimate topic

9) dominance and submission

10) sexual and romantic fantasies of American heterosexual woman

You're welcome [***] . Lana del Rey is smarter than most of the people who criticize her, she's an abstract embodiment of American culture, from a twentieth century historic perspective. BUT NO YOU GUIZ ARE SO SMRT. MAKE SURE U BE LAUGHING AT SNL PERFORMANCE.

Last edited by a moderator:

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
where is this guide supposed to lead me? do you have a reading list prepared? to help me to like a pop singer that i'm not into?

i think i already have a pretty good understanding of all of these topics, except film noir i guess, but she still doesn't do it for me. sorry boo. i also find the notion that a prep school girl whose career was bankrolled by her rich daddy is supposed to represent trailer parks and white trash completely ridiculous. but maybe it's too ~abstract~ for me *breathes from mouth*

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You're welcome, [***]. Lana del Rey is smarter than most of the people who criticize her, she's an abstract embodiment of American culture, from a twentieth century historic perspective. BUT NO YOU GUIZ ARE SO SMRT. MAKE SURE U BE LAUGHING AT SNL PERFORMANCE.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're welcome, [***]. Lana del Rey is smarter than most of the people who criticize her, she's an abstract embodiment of American culture, from a twentieth century historic perspective. BUT NO YOU GUIZ ARE SO SMRT. MAKE SURE U BE LAUGHING AT SNL PERFORMANCE.
Lol, this obviously blew out of proportion real quick, so let me try to stop this right here.

My comment was written on a dare. I find her terribly boring as a musician, but had it been a genuine criticism, I would've chosen other words.

So before this turns to another shitstorm, please know that it was a joke, and the severity of your reaction unanticipated.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hive thinks Atrocity Exhibition is the worst song on Closer, lol