• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Merit of Lana Del Rey

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Today in hipster news, intelligent woman writes culturally relevant songs while also appearing sexually confident; people feel challenged and uncomfortable, lame cyberbullying ensues, sends wonderful message to school kids about women and their role in society. News at 11.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
where is this guide supposed to lead me? do you have a reading list prepared? to help me to like a pop singer that i'm not into?

i think i already have a pretty good understanding of all of these topics, except film noir i guess, but she still doesn't do it for me. sorry boo. i also find the notion that a prep school girl whose career was bankrolled by her rich daddy is supposed to represent trailer parks and white trash completely ridiculous. but maybe it's too ~abstract~ for me *breathes from mouth*

Understanding film noir and Americana as an art form is a huge component to "getting it" aesthetically...you said that there was nothing to get. I just think most of her fans are reasonably literate, therefore hostility towards her for going to boarding school. It's reverse classism to hate on her, it's utterly obnoxious...she was sleeping on an exes couch when Born to Die was released, her father is a millionaire not a billionaire, she was raised mostly upper middle class. I don't know if you think she would have more street cred by being bankrolled by a gang banger? Do you also hate Tori Amos for attending prestigious music academies? Michael Jackson and Britney Spears also had parental support. I would love to see your in depth criticism of Michael Jackson as an artist. Also note that Paris Hilton had very little talent to offer the public after being "bankrolled"...Lana holds her own professionally.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i never said i hated her, just find her contrived and uninteresting...which makes this argument uninteresting too. you sound like you've been brainwashed or something though.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The guide should include who Lana is.

I don't mean to come off as a pretentious asshole, but I had no idea who Lana was until I read the thread.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
hipster is such a harmful word whenever you use it an art student gets their eye stabbed in their sleep

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't particularly like Lana but I do have Summertime Sadness and Young and Beautiful in my library. I'm not a fan of her vocal ability or at least how she uses it, but I do like how gracious she is to her fans and her different style.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
Today in hipster news, intelligent woman writes culturally relevant songs while also appearing sexually confident; people feel challenged and uncomfortable, lame cyberbullying ensues, sends wonderful message to school kids about women and their role in society. News at 11.

"There never was, nor will be, nor is there now to be found anyone who stands wholly praised or utterly condemned."

In other news, Lana Del Rey is super fine.

á´…eparted

passages
I am not a fan of Lana Del Ray.

I don't like the sound of her voice, the instrumentation is kinda boring and lacks the elements I usually go for in music, and her image just isn't my style. I tried to get into her multiple times though. Quite a lot of my friends said "have you heard her?! You will love her!" Considering I listen to bands like The Knife, iamamiwhoami, Planningtorock, and others in that vein. I just... I couldn't get into it. All I could think was "this just sounds bad... why do people like this?". I could hear it was well done but something was off.

Nevertheless, she is very popular and well regarded as original and talented, so I withhold my judgement beyond my personal taste. Music is rather subjective anyway. It's difficult to label something as truly "bad". That said, some Lana fans I have met seem to get really offended over the fact that I don't care for her, and I just don't get it. People are allowed to dislike music?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I am not a fan of Lana Del Ray.

I don't like the sound of her voice, the instrumentation is kinda boring and lacks the elements I usually go for in music, and her image just isn't my style. I tried to get into her multiple times though. Quite a lot of my friends said "have you heard her?! You will love her!" Considering I listen to bands like The Knife, iamamiwhoami, Planningtorock, and others in that vein. I just... I couldn't get into it. All I could think was "this just sounds bad... why do people like this?". I could hear it was well done but something was off.

Nevertheless, she is very popular and well regarded as original and talented, so I withhold my judgement beyond my personal taste. Music is rather subjective anyway. It's difficult to label something as truly "bad". That said, some Lana fans I have met seem to get really offended over the fact that I don't care for her, and I just don't get it. People are allowed to dislike music?

someone showed me this yesterday I believe. and part of me thinks it should be required to watch before making comments on the internet

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't know if I've heard a single Lana Del Rey song. Or if I did, it didn't make an impact on me strong enough to feel one way or the other.

The one female musician who is popular now who I can say I can't stand is Miley Cyrus.

I knew an ENFP dude in college who would try and pick up women by talking about how Katy Perry's "I kissed a girl" is a song of feminist liberation. I think it worked a few times.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
i never said i hated her, just find her contrived and uninteresting...which makes this argument uninteresting too. you sound like you've been brainwashed or something though.

Honestly I wish you could be as reasonable as someone like hard and just say you don't like her music (my ESFJ sister doesn't either) without calling me crazy or brainwashed, or making utterly ignorant statements like "there's nothing to get" when you obviously didn't even understand her creative angle.

It's obnoxious. It goes so far beyond simply not liking particular music, and you aren't the only one who talks this way, it's trendy now.