• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

WTF with Marc Maron

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh man, this podcast. So real. So cathartic.

Any other fans out there, on the forum?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
One of the best episodes IMO:

I knew Marc was INFx before listening to this episode, but contrast with Louie (INFP) made it clear to me that Marc is very likely INFJ. Probably 6w7=4w3/?w?, VERY clear sx-dom.

Summoning [MENTION=9913]captain curmudgeon[/MENTION] -- and also [MENTION=9325]ZPowers[/MENTION], if you're still around

and [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION], I think you would REALLY like this show, if you're not already into it.

93JC

I'm subscribed to it but I don't have the patience to listen to them anymore. I think I'm all podcasted out for the time being.

I don't mind Maron but I'm not a huge fan. The quality (from a discussion point of view) of the individual podcasts vary widely. The most interesting ones I listened to (and that I can think of off the top of my head) were with Jason and Ivan Reitman, one after the other. The one with Larry King was also pretty interesting once it really got going. The last one I listened to was 501, with Vince Vaughn; it wasn't bad.

FYI just about the only podcast I've been listening to lately is Doug Loves Movies, hosted by comedian Doug Benson. Again, quality varies quite a bit, but if you're into movies and trivia like I am it's pretty fun to play along.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I have heard it's great but never listened myself. I don't podcast much- I just tend to forget podcasts exist. I do like to listen to talk rather than music over long drives and I've been doing a lot of driving lately- I was working my way through the This American Life app's "Short List," but I'm ready for something new and this seems like just what the doctor ordered. Thanks!

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I went through a phase where I listened to him constantly and each podcast felt like a revelation, but I somehow just reached a limit and can't listen anymore. Maybe I'll come back around. Aside from that great Louie interview, the Todd Hanson suicide podcast was HEAVY, in the best possible way.

I dunno, he strikes me as a Ne-dom really. Especially the way he can only come up with new material if he just puts himself in front of an audience and lets himself think out loud. He doesn't really "write" jokes, yanno? Maron needs to use everyone as a sounding board to figure things out. He's endlessly verbal, digressive, and exploratory. The self-deprecating, emotional open-wound thing, doesn't strike me as particularly INFJ. The dude has no Fe, for another thing.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
just heard a part of an interview with him on npr today. seemed like a cool guy, but i'd never heard of him.

interest: piqued.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I made it to 50-odd minutes on Monday. I plan to listen to the rest at some point soon. Plan to. Whether or not that actually happens...

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have heard it's great but never listened myself. I don't podcast much- I just tend to forget podcasts exist. I do like to listen to talk rather than music over long drives and I've been doing a lot of driving lately- I was working my way through the This American Life app's "Short List," but I'm ready for something new and this seems like just what the doctor ordered. Thanks!
I made it to 50-odd minutes on Monday. I plan to listen to the rest at some point soon. Plan to. Whether or not that actually happens...
Do it! \m/

I went through a phase where I listened to him constantly and each podcast felt like a revelation, but I somehow just reached a limit and can't listen anymore. Maybe I'll come back around. Aside from that great Louie interview, the Todd Hanson suicide podcast was HEAVY, in the best possible way.

I dunno, he strikes me as a Ne-dom really. Especially the way he can only come up with new material if he just puts himself in front of an audience and lets himself think out loud. He doesn't really "write" jokes, yanno? Maron needs to use everyone as a sounding board to figure things out. He's endlessly verbal, digressive, and exploratory. The self-deprecating, emotional open-wound thing, doesn't strike me as particularly INFJ. The dude has no Fe, for another thing.
:shrug: Like I said before, I was really on the fence re: INFJ vs. INFP before. I had attributed his "working it out" style of writing jokes to be more Ni/Fe "processing out loud" -- since IME it's very common for INFJs to vent at people with that purpose in mind. That plus the fact that he usually comes into his interviews with a very specific set of foci, and has tunnel vision about them, without being terribly receptive to outside POVs. Something else I associate with Ni/Fe -- disguised rigidity/slow processing time.

Also, starting at 43:55 -- this story struck me as so much like my INFJ mother that I actually emailed it to her.

She emailed me back and said that it did sound just like her, with the one difference being that she DEFINITELY would have told the flight attendants and passengers.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
:shrug: Like I said before, I was really on the fence re: INFJ vs. INFP before. I had attributed his "working it out" style of writing jokes to be more Ni/Fe "processing out loud" -- since IME it's very common for INFJs to vent at people with that purpose in mind. That plus the fact that he usually comes into his interviews with a very specific set of foci, and has tunnel vision about them, without being terribly receptive to outside POVs. Something else I associate with Ni/Fe -- disguised rigidity/slow processing time.

I've been thinking about it, and have decided you're right. For the reasons you stated, and I remember reading his book "The Messiah Complex", and it struck me as very Ni. I don't really see Ne at all, anymore.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've been thinking about it, and have decided you're right. For the reasons you stated, and I remember reading his book "The Messiah Complex", and it struck me as very Ni. I don't really see Ne at all, anymore.
Well he is VERY stream of consciousness sometimes, and doesn't vibe as strongly J or P, or even E or I. Then again if he's an INFJ mostly-counterphobic 6, which is what I'm thinking so far, that makes him kind of an unusual INFJ from the get-go. I also wonder if his gut fix is 8, because of how explosively his anger manifests itself -- also unusual for an INFJ.

Never read that book. Is it good? (I listened to his audiobook of "Attempting Normal" a bit ago and LOVED it, but I'm not sure if it would be as good on paper.)

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Well he is VERY stream of consciousness sometimes, and doesn't vibe as strongly J or P, or even E or I. Then again if he's an INFJ mostly-counterphobic 6, which is what I'm thinking so far, that makes him kind of an unusual INFJ from the get-go. I also wonder if his gut fix is 8, because of how explosively his anger manifests itself -- also unusual for an INFJ.

Never read that book. Is it good? (I listened to his audiobook of "Attempting Normal" a bit ago and LOVED it, but I'm not sure if it would be as good on paper.)

Yes, his counterphobic 6ness really convolutes things.

As for "The Messiah Complex", it's pretty interesting as a time capsule, if you like Maron. You don't get a lot of info in this book that wouldn't have learned from listening to of all of his podcasts. I'm actually pretty surprised he even had a book deal at that point in his career, since he seemed like a pretty minor comic figure pre-WTF. I guess because it has all the Kinison stories of sex, drugs and rock n roll, not to mention a mental breakdown, that is was deemed juicy enough. It's really not a great book though, he is certainly lacking a lot of self-awareness at that juncture in his life. I probably would not have read it, if Attempting Normal had been published at the time. He really has come a long way since starting that podcast. Not to completely knock TMC though, it's more insightful and poetic than 99% of comic memoirs. He's clearly a smart and sensitive fellow, it just wasn't quite a fully-realized memoir.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Two things:

1) I AM SEEING HIM LIVE DURING HIS "MARONATION" TOUR AND AM SO EXCITED

2) Never replied to this:
Yes, his counterphobic 6ness really convolutes things.

As for "The Messiah Complex", it's pretty interesting as a time capsule, if you like Maron. You don't get a lot of info in this book that wouldn't have learned from listening to of all of his podcasts. I'm actually pretty surprised he even had a book deal at that point in his career, since he seemed like a pretty minor comic figure pre-WTF. I guess because it has all the Kinison stories of sex, drugs and rock n roll, not to mention a mental breakdown, that is was deemed juicy enough. It's really not a great book though, he is certainly lacking a lot of self-awareness at that juncture in his life. I probably would not have read it, if Attempting Normal had been published at the time. He really has come a long way since starting that podcast. Not to completely knock TMC though, it's more insightful and poetic than 99% of comic memoirs. He's clearly a smart and sensitive fellow, it just wasn't quite a fully-realized memoir.
I listened to the audiobook of this a month or two ago, and I pretty much agree with you. "Attempting Normal" was very self-aware and insightful, but "The Jerusalem Syndrome" was un-self-aware to the point of being unsettling to hear/read. I think that's what happens when you write a mental health memoir while not entirely "out of the woods".

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Two things:

1) I AM SEEING HIM LIVE DURING HIS "MARONATION" TOUR AND AM SO EXCITED

JEALOUS! Especially because I live in a location where almost no comic of any import would ever play here. The highest profile stand-ups I get in my province are the people who used to do mtv's video-on-trial show. :dry: One time Bill Burr did a show about 100 miles from my home, and I'm still kicking myself for not realizxing until it was too late. Not that I'm even a Bill Burr fan, but STILL! Bill Burr!

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ

I knew Marc was INFx before listening to this episode, but contrast with Louie (INFP) made it clear to me that Marc is very likely INFJ. Probably 6w7=4w3/?w?, VERY clear sx-dom.

Summoning [MENTION=9913]captain curmudgeon[/MENTION] -- and also [MENTION=9325]ZPowers[/MENTION], if you're still around

and [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION], I think you would REALLY like this show, if you're not already into it.

Someone sent me the one with Robin Williams, but I couldn't finish because too sad about his death. Will cue this one up for the next time I have two hours to spare.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
Finally listened, then watched some Maron interviews online!

I agree that Maron could be an sx-first, and I think Louis CK isn't (he seems so/sp). I'm having trouble seeing Louis CK as INFP, though, primarily because I know so many INFPs and the overallness is too dissimilar. That said, CK does have strong Fi, I just doubt he leads with it.

As for Maron, he seems XNXP, extraverted, and likely Ne-dom. I know he's got a history of substance addiction, so there's that to consider when viewing some of his earlier appearances. But with all that factored in, my intuitive read says Maron is an ENTP; he just doesn't vibe like an Idealist. I think he has strong Fe + low Ti, which makes him seem like an NF, and he's likely spent a great chunk of his life in an Ne-Fe loop.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

So I've been on a Marc Maron kick since my INFP buddy recommended him, and I just saw this particular podcast. Their interaction reminds me so much of our relationship, and honestly, any other relationship I've had with e4s in particular. It's always so startling how stark and unflinching the subjects end up being, and how often the subject is us.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
Don't want to derail this thread, but how are people seeing Louis CK as INFP? I picked up on Fi in the Maron podcast, but there was no video, and they were discussing their personal history and friendship, which is Fi's arena. Having seen several candid interviews and some of his standup material, I don't think he's even an intuitive.

He's a risk-taker, concerned with freedom, has good business sense, and he's worked out a special deal with FX for his TV series that gives him full creative control. Apparently no one else in the entertainment business has anything like it. He took less money in lieu of full control over everything. He edits his show on his own laptop and FX basically just airs what he sends them. He's also said that he doesn't want to do his show forever. Isn't this ESTP?

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm kind of a comedy nerd, so I really enjoy some of the insights of the interview subjects.

That said, I rarely listen to the podcast unless the guest realllly interests me, because spending time listening to Marc Maron talk is like going to the dentist. I just find him really abrasive, unpleasant, and kind of narcissistic and self-loathing at the same time. Basically, I really dislike George Carlin, and Maron reminds me of the worst of Carlin.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like how they play up their fake animosity toward one another whenever Marc cameos on Louie